Switching to the Dark Side

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:28 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
Soulja wrote:I don't tred on that ground anymore Law...I used to work there! LOL

Personally I'd rather have the $30 difference in *my* pocket than someone else's ... event if it means going undercover :-)

Or sending an "agent"
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:58 am

So did you have a bad experience there Soulja?

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:01 pm

I just hated retail sales in general. The people I worked with were ok, some were annoying as hell, and I could have run the business better in a few minor aspects, but I also have a different view on the things goin on, being on the floor instead of being in an office. What really bugged me were the people coming in, most of them were complete douche bags, and on a few occasions I was treated like shit because a "professional" knew more than me. Yeah I don't know what they expected coming into a retail store. So with my temper combined with a constant badgering of ass holes, I ran into a few occasions where I left at the end of the day blowing off steam some how.

And to get back on topic, I ordered the mother board and a gig of RAM today. Next will be the hard drive, and monitor, then processor, video card, and everything else...
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

NEUROTIC

Postby NEUROTIC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Whoa, Newegg and Pricewatch are where I get all my computer junk from. Actually pretty much just newegg these days. I always get the right stuff and relatively quickly. After my ACl surgery, I spent 3 months reading every article in Tomshardware I could about how to build a computer from scratch. I didnt even know the difference between RAM and ROM before that. That was 3 years ago. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that Nonstop and the rest of the guys are right, spend the money on the best video card you can get. You wont have to worry about upgrading for a while and you will have a slick machine that will hold up to demanding games. I learned my lesson from experience. My 5950 ultra is 3 years old and I get 85fps average on UT with medium graphics settings. I have the same ram you are getting and a 3200 amd cpu.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:50 pm

ATTN Soulja

500w power supply FREE after rebate!

http://www.slickdeals.net/?pno=7102&lno=1&afsrc=1

FYGIGM

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Your system is only as stable as what is powering it. Look no further than these links...
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/p ... wer_supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817711002

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Ok nuge...

here's a review on the FREE model... Did I mention it's FREE?

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/revi ... ect_7.html

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Alls I have left to purchase is the monitor, processor, OS, and Hard Drive...

Anyone have any spare parts laying around?

I'm looking for an AMD 3700+, 160GB Hard Drive, and a 19inch LCD monitor...
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:41 pm

NO offense LAW but Radio Shack is the work of the DEVIL!!!!!!!

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 pm

lol

Well being that I recently stole my first-born's PSU to power my wife's
workstation, I went ahead and ordered one. Can't beat the price opportuniuty...

If it's solid enough, it will go in Law-1, otherwise, said first-born gladly accept it as being markedly better than nothing at all.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:19 pm

Soulja wrote:Alls I have left to purchase is the monitor, processor, OS, and Hard Drive...

Thumbs down on lcd. I just had the worlds fastest, viewsonic 19" 3ms response, and still had motion blur. If you can live with blur in your ut get one but I would go with a viewsonic 19.

I do have a 21" nec you can have for 50 bucks plus shipping if you want.

Also Law, the free psu is a decent one but I have put a machine together for someone with one of those and the oversized connectors don't work on some mb's depending on the layout. From the review you posted:

extremeoverclocking.com wrote:"Despite all of the X-Connect's positive qualities, the oversized connectors are still a serious concern. I give the Ultra 500W X-Connect PSU a 4.0 of 5.0 points, only detracting a point because of issues with the connectors."

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:00 pm

Well, all my motherboards are made by Asus....

Law-1 = A7N8X-E Deluxe
Mrs-Law = A7N8X-X
Law-Jr = A7V333
Law-MCE 2.0 = A7V266

As I recall, they all have decent amount of area around thhe ATX socket. If not, I'll piss and moan at the manufacturer until they send me one of the redesigned cables mentioned in the review :-)

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:02 pm

nonstop wrote:
Soulja wrote:Alls I have left to purchase is the monitor, processor, OS, and Hard Drive...

Thumbs down on lcd. I just had the worlds fastest, viewsonic 19" 3ms response, and still had motion blur. If you can live with blur in your ut get one but I would go with a viewsonic 19.

I do have a 21" nec you can have for 50 bucks plus shipping if you want.

Also Law, the free psu is a decent one but I have put a machine together for someone with one of those and the oversized connectors don't work on some mb's depending on the layout. From the review you posted:

extremeoverclocking.com wrote:"Despite all of the X-Connect's positive qualities, the oversized connectors are still a serious concern. I give the Ultra 500W X-Connect PSU a 4.0 of 5.0 points, only detracting a point because of issues with the connectors."

hey Non, I'll take you up on that offer...I never really liked LCDs too much, but lemme know how old it is and what it exactly is (model). Thanks man...I'll send you a PM soon...

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 pm

law.of.averages wrote:Law-1 = A7N8X-E Deluxe
Mrs-Law = A7N8X-X

Notice the 1-up he did on the Mrs... :lol:
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:40 pm

pewterdragn wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:Law-1 = A7N8X-E Deluxe
Mrs-Law = A7N8X-X

Notice the 1-up he did on the Mrs... :lol:

Yes I did notice that. She gets the better car I'm sure.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”