Time for another Non sequitur topic

If you thought twice about it or just laughed your ass off here's the place to share. Screenshots, quotes, captures, etc.

Moderator: ForumModerators

law.of.averages

Time for another Non sequitur topic

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:20 pm

There's too much tension on the forums today, ... time for some off the wall musings from the law...

The 60's were known as the era of peace, love, and joy...yet their Star Trek was many times more vioent than the one(s) from the 90's

And I can't help but wonder if, like Star Trek, the rest of the Science Fiction genere is past it's hey-day.

Have we subconciously decided that the future holds no utopian society? Have we quietly set that idealistic dream aside in favor of base needs?

What's wrong with the world?

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Re: Time for another Non sequitur topic

Postby -Jeta- » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:00 pm

law.of.averages wrote:What's wrong with the world?

Thats such an open ended question!
... WTF ...

Dr.Feelgood

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Well, there's me and Clown in it, thats a good start.

As for sci-fi being dead, watch Stargate and Battlestar Galactica (with BSG, start on the episode "33" and I dare you to tell me thats not kick ass)
Because I really don't have anything interesting to say for the most part...

"Hi mom!"

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Far from it law, why do you think the biggest movies of our age are escapist movies about superheroes, hobbits, wizards and a lion a witch and a wardrobe?

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:33 pm

Dr.Feelgood wrote:Well, there's me and Clown in it, thats a good start.

As for sci-fi being dead, watch Stargate and Battlestar Galactica (with BSG, start on the episode "33" and I dare you to tell me thats not kick ass)

I've seen all of BSG so far... reminds me a lot of "Space: Above & Beyond" too intense to keep up the momentum. Stargate has had some excellent writing, but in any case, these are rather dark in their setting...

they don't show us what ammounts to "a better future...except for {insert plot}"

Non, those movies you mention are good entertainment in their own right, but hardly fall under "Science" Fiction. They belong to the "& Fantasy" half of the book club. :-)
Last edited by law.of.averages on Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:53 pm

law.of.averages wrote:Non, those movies you mention are good entertainment in their own right, but hardly fall under "Science" Fiction. They belong to the "& Fantasy" half of the book club. :-)

I was hitting on what I thought was the main point of your topic law, and that was utopian society/escapism. Clearly those are not science fiction! :wink:

I never liked Star Trek. I always preferred a good ray bradbury or isaac asmivov when I was younger and a good sci fi movie over a series such as Blade Runner/Alien/etc...

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:55 pm

nonstop wrote:I was hitting on what I thought was the main point of your topic law, and that was utopian society/escapism. Clearly those are not science fiction! :wink:

You silly, silly person... haven't you figured out by now that my posts don't have any kind of point at all? :wink:

At least between science-fiction, and fighting with my health insurance company I've managed to go a whole day without thinking about my lovely bunch of....

Damnit!

Dr.Feelgood

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:50 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
Dr.Feelgood wrote:Well, there's me and Clown in it, thats a good start.

I've seen all of BSG so far... reminds me a lot of "Space: Above & Beyond" too intense to keep up the momentum. Stargate has had some excellent writing, but in any case, these are rather dark in their setting...

they don't show us what ammounts to "a better future...except for {insert plot}"

Non, those movies you mention are good entertainment in their own right, but hardly fall under "Science" Fiction. They belong to the "& Fantasy" half of the book club. :-)

I'm not sure...I've seen the previews for the rest of season 2 (after Pegasus) and it looks pretty intense still...and while the next finale may not be another KLD2 it'll be something.
Because I really don't have anything interesting to say for the most part...

"Hi mom!"

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:06 am

I say blame it on the Mohare coalition. Rydzyk too...

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:17 am

Avaris wrote:I say blame it on the Mohare coalition. Rydzyk too...

done!

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:19 am

law.of.averages wrote:
Avaris wrote:I say blame it on the Mohare coalition. Rydzyk too...

done!

What the...finishing the topic like this? We haven't even hijacked it yet! Umm.....let's think.

HAIR

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:49 am

no, I was letting you know I've complied with your request, and placed full blame on the aformentioned parties.

Vendetta

Postby Vendetta » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:22 pm

Have we subconciously decided that the future holds no utopian society? Have we quietly set that idealistic dream aside in favor of base needs? Yes.

You silly, silly person... haven't you figured out by now that my posts don't have any kind of point at all? And Yes...
Fortune follows the Bold.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:28 pm

ziggleblat monfro jitufer alonsik asitugred.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:33 pm

pewterdragn wrote:ziggleblat monfro jitufer alonsik asitugred.

Darmok?!?

Return to “did that really happen?”