Best rock band out

Pop, Rock, Hip Hop, Country... It's all good!

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:28 am

law.of.averages wrote:
nonstop wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:Well I jump from channel to channel on the xml dial..

xml dial?

xm after you've had a few :-)

You mean xm before you have had a few. Did you just have a few? :wink:

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:47 am

Psycho wrote:Well see I'm not much for mainstream music anymore because it's not original, most bands nowadays their first album which makes them a hit is unique because it hasn't been saturated by the damn record companies telling them they have to sound a certain way to fit the sound that are of big sellers in the moment, then a band comes out with newer albums and they're almost nothing like the original because now they have to keep up with the sales of the first album so the companies stick their heads in the studios and tell the band "ok we need you to sound a little more like this or we won't back you up" which in my opinion is bullshit but hey I don't run a studio. Most music I listen to now is underground, people have heard some of the bands but you never hear them on the radio because it's not what's "popular" but in my opinion it's some of the best music I've listened to, plus damn good to thrash too :lol:

NAME A BAND!!!!!!

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:51 am

nonstop wrote:Best (insert subject) always cracks me up because anything tissue based is subjective.

I will say 'most talented' definately would fall to Rush, Yes, Dave Matthews (not really rock), NIN and Tool, and maybe a couple others I have forgotten. These bands have musicians in them that are very accomplished.

Most of the main stream crap is 4 or 5 guitar chords and no sense of music theory other than using the A-B formula for intro/verse/chorus/verse/solo/chorus end which is pretty much the basic rock formula for mainstream for decades. Rush, Yes and some others took these forumlas and pushed the boundaries using varied time signatures, counterpoint melodies over fluid and moving rythm patterns. Mix that with some creativity and increadible talent with a pinch of willingess to push the envelope and you have some of 'the best' imo. But it's tissue based so someone could say 'ya dude but rolling stones rock' and to them they would be right. :)

ok fine I see your point except for the fact that Dave Mathews and his saxaphone player could jump off a cliff into a cup of hippie made trail mix and I would not miss him or all the noises he makes while singing.

:twisted: Death to Petuli Oil. :twisted:

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 am

nonstop wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:
nonstop wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:Well I jump from channel to channel on the xml dial..

xml dial?

xm after you've had a few :-)

You mean xm before you have had a few. Did you just have a few? :wink:

For the full explanation Non, (not for a single instant do I think you need it)

XML is what a mildy intoxicated software developer types instead of typing XM after downing a double shot of Pussers Rum mixed in a high-ball glass with 3 ice cubes and a half a can of diet coke. :mrgreen:

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:12 am

law.of.averages wrote:For the full explanation Non, (not for a single instant do I think you need it)

XML is what a mildy intoxicated software developer types instead of typing XM after downing a double shot of Pussers Rum mixed in a high-ball glass with 3 ice cubes and a half a can of diet coke. :mrgreen:

I know bro, just having fun with ya. But there was a tiny part of me interested enough to wonder if they were doing some interesting things with xml and streaming radio so I had to ask. :D

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:16 am

Houdini wrote:ok fine I see your point except for the fact that Dave Mathews and his saxaphone player could jump off a cliff into a cup of hippie made trail mix and I would not miss him or all the noises he makes while singing.

I don't think the saxophonist is very good. The drummer and Dave are excellent and can play circles around anything you listen too. But the point is it doesn't matter because your 3 chord rock and roll that any garage band can immatate is enjoyed by you and that's all that matters. :wink:
What I was getting at is "best" is relative. For example I don't like heavy metal or real hard rock but I recognize the talent in Tool, esp the drummer and the creativity so I went out and bought one of there cds a few years ago. So 'best' to me is musically talented and creative where 'best' to you is different. But you see, it's like judging art. How can you say this pic is better than that one?

Now back to the debates.....

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:26 am

Best Drummer- Buddy Rich

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:33 am

Best Pan-Flute Virtuoso-

Zamfir

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:09 pm

Houdini wrote:Best Pan-Flute Virtuoso-

Zamfir

lol And BR is definately up there. Depends on the style though because BR could never do anything Terry Bozzio can do and vice/versa.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:40 pm

nonstop wrote:
Houdini wrote:Best Pan-Flute Virtuoso-

Zamfir

lol And BR is definately up there. Depends on the style though because BR could never do anything Terry Bozzio can do and vice/versa.

YEah and I guess Neil Pert too since I thought he was god in HS.

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Haha i'm sorry I didn't list any last time Houdini but here I'll list some bands.
Metal - Crawlblind, OnceOver, Mind Shelter, Bleeding Through, Factory 81, Ektomorf, Crossbreed, In Flames.

Industrial - Assemblage 23, Hocico, Psychlon Nine, Combichrist, Mind.In.A.Box, Bile, Velvit Acid Christ, Cruciform Injection.

Foreign - Eisbrecher, Hanzel and Gretel, Turmion Katilot, Infected Mushroom, DinFiv, Third Eye Machine, Sub Dub Micromachine

Random - Dog Fashion Disco, Nuclear Rabbit, Mindless Self Indulgence, Deadstar Assembly, Electric Six

That should be a good listing for the time being :wink: :D

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Psycho wrote:Haha i'm sorry I didn't list any last time Houdini but here I'll list some bands.
Metal - Crawlblind, OnceOver, Mind Shelter, Bleeding Through, Factory 81, Ektomorf, Crossbreed, In Flames.

Industrial - Assemblage 23, Hocico, Psychlon Nine, Combichrist, Mind.In.A.Box, Bile, Velvit Acid Christ, Cruciform Injection.

Foreign - Eisbrecher, Hanzel and Gretel, Turmion Katilot, Infected Mushroom, DinFiv, Third Eye Machine, Sub Dub Micromachine

Random - Dog Fashion Disco, Nuclear Rabbit, Mindless Self Indulgence, Deadstar Assembly, Electric Six

That should be a good listing for the time being :wink: :D

I think one of my buddies listens to Bleeding Through sounds familiar. We have a big hard core scene up here but most of the good bands we like are local. Well even then a kid I went to school with was in a band called Section 8, they rocked and I have been down south where I met poeple that heard of them.

I add Section 8 to my list. So in recap

Best band: Foo Fighters

Best local band: Section 8

Best Drummer: Buddy Rich

Best Pan Flutest- Zamfir

Best driver that has to use his feet as brakes: Fred Flintstone

Thats it right there no question about it. lol. :twisted:

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Psycho wrote:Infected Mushroom

I have a Yahel and the Infected Mushroom disc that is nice is that the same fugus we discuss?

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:29 pm

Haha I have no idea if we speak of the same fungus, those guys are from Isreal, play psychedelic trance and tour the world, some of the most unique music I'm heard which is why I like it so much.

Yeah here in New Hampshire we don't have much of a scene at all, most of the kids my age around here listen to all that damn rap crap on the radio and try to act black which is really interesting seeing as NH is the third whitest state in the US *sigh* those are the kids I really wish to beat down with a 2x4 and then set on fire for acting black when they're not.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:33 pm

Psycho wrote:Haha I have no idea if we speak of the same fungus, those guys are from Isreal, play psychedelic trance and tour the world, some of the most unique music I'm heard which is why I like it so much.

Yeah here in New Hampshire we don't have much of a scene at all, most of the kids my age around here listen to all that damn rap crap on the radio and try to act black which is really interesting seeing as NH is the third whitest state in the US *sigh* those are the kids I really wish to beat down with a 2x4 and then set on fire for acting black when they're not.

Ya same nightshade it is trippy. I like Derrick Carter myself.

Return to “music in mind”