Second Doom Movie Revew

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

law.of.averages

Second Doom Movie Revew

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Ok, not the 2nd doom movie, but the second review. Just came from the theater. I've not done this in a long while, but here goes.

Doom

I have to come out of it saying there was plenty of action...and the first person scenes...when they finally made it to the screen ..were something of a cool novelty... Now I know what the game will look like if I ever get the 19 foot monitor of my dreams. Unfortunatly like the game, most of the action takes place in areas of poor lighting.

Character development was weak even for an action movie. Early on they trash any chance for romantic tension between the protagonist and the leading lady. When they have a chance for a nice flashback, it passes by with nothing more than a hint that the people on the screen are more than what's presented. I fail to see why they didn't... any 'scenery' required could easily been blown up elsewhere. The soldiers, even Sarge... are not much more than cardboard cutouts. There's no real antagonist...someone to provide good-guy/bad-guy banter...just the bloodthristy mosters... and not enough of those to fill in the gaps..

The story starts with a good basic premise, but doesn't unfold smoothly, or come to a good end. The climax is predictable, and not very climactic.

I'd hazzard to say that uinless you're trying to impress your girl with the amount of brain-dead video you can stand at one time... Or maybe to test her endurance...you should save your popcorn money, and wait for the DVD. I don't think you'll have to wait very long.

Cheers.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:35 am

Law one important fact you left out in brain dead movies like this.... how was Stan Winston and the cgi? Top notch or more on the level of say the cheesier palette of a Chronicles of Riddick or Jumanji? :lol:

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:29 pm

nonstop wrote:Law one important fact you left out in brain dead movies like this.... how was Stan Winston and the cgi? Top notch or more on the level of say the cheesier palette of a Chronicles of Riddick or Jumanji? :lol:

HEY!

I liked Jumanji!
... WTF ...

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:01 am

nonstop wrote:Law one important fact you left out in brain dead movies like this.... how was Stan Winston and the cgi? Top notch or more on the level of say the cheesier palette of a Chronicles of Riddick or Jumanji? :lol:

Well, I was trying real hard not to give away anything of the story itself (I hate reviews that do that) ... besides, it's hard to comment on CGI when it's all in the dark :-)

I'll give away this tidbit... I was kind of annoyed they didn't put the plasma-rifle in. It would have slid into the story so easily... find a few in R&D...grab em, find out they're more effective against the mobs... put in more mobs to show how they work... get frustrated when the batteries die etc etc...

And I didn't see a single reference to http://www.martianbuddy.com

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:09 pm

law.of.averages wrote:And I didn't see a single reference to http://www.martianbuddy.com

That was just doom3. Martian buddy was never a part of doom 1-2

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:10 pm

nonstop wrote:That was just doom3. Martian buddy was never a part of doom 1-2

Yeah... so there... :shock:
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:13 am

Well, I'm not holding my breath for 1 sequel, let alone 2 :mrgreen:

Return to “thoughts... more or less”