Tendonitis

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Prozac

Tendonitis

Postby Prozac » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 am

Hey everyone, I've got a real bad case of tendonitis in my left arm from my elbow all the way up to my shoulder area.

The pain is getting so bad that I can barely pick up my coffee cup.

Either I'm going to have to find a very soft touch responsive keyboard, or I'm going to have to take a break from UT. I got this way from banging around so hard on my movement keys to do dodges and stuff that I've developed my repetitive stress injury.

Anyone have a good gaming keyboard like a Saitek, or a Razer that they might recommend. I'm relying on my clanmates for advice. Otherwise I really will have to quit for a while to rest that arm and let it heal.

Bummer, Prozac

Porkinator

Re: Tendonitis

Postby Porkinator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 am

Try this stuff at a local drugstore and it helps a lot.
http://www.myoflex.ca/eng/trial_offer.asp
After long periods of gaming to try to strect my arms over my head and try to touch the ceiling with my fingertips and the helps getting the cramps out of the elbow back neck etc.
I am sure some immature asshole going to make fun of this (name starts with S) so my usual TI response is don't be a puss and play through the pain.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 am

pro, you asked me a long time ago how i play with a natural keyboard. and while my keys aren't as soft as they used to be i've found a position that works well where i can play for hours with no issues.

i took a picture of my gaming layout and where i position my fingers on the keypad. each color represents a different keystroke, whether it be movement, weapons, or text.

red: movement
green: weapon
blue: text

you'll see that my mouse and keyboard are never more than six inches apart.

hope that helps
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:15 am

thanks for the suggestions guys. Pork I went out and bought some of that cream the day after u told me about it. It works great, but it's only masking the pain, not healing it. But I still use it because it does give some relief.

Stretching is good also, but mine has gone too far. I can't even put my arm behind my head and reach the opposite ear - but I can with ease with my mouse hand. I'm almost locked.

Sid I too use a natural keyboard although I use the far side of the keyboard for all my gaming stuff.....it would be a very hard transition for me to play like you play, though not impossible.....I believe anything is possible.

And while I know the gear doesn't make one a great gamer, having a keyboard with a very responsive touch, and somehow scooting them closer together like you have Sid would probably help a lot. As I type this, I'm leaning/shifting my whole upper body to the left so I can use the text part of the keyboard.

Thanks so much for the tips. I've got to think of something, because I want to keep on playing. :D :(

Pro

PS: LOL Love the Max Payne mousepad Sid

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 am

Another thing to think of: all of the research I've done on the internet, said that resting the arm is the only thing that will heal the tendonitis/RSI.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:26 am

pro, i really believe that the touch of your keyboard is only a small part of your problem. if you're leaning to one side or the other to type then there is a serious fundamental problem with the way you type.

i reckon you're leaning the same way when you play UT. so even if you had a softer touch keyboard that's only a small part of the problem. this is just a guess but when this started you had pretty sharp pains on the underside of your wrist and your muscles of your hand felt sore and tight. after that, things only compounded.

if you're going to keep your current gaming configuration i would recommend a new standard layout keyboard. to hell with the natural keyboard. also, make sure you're sitting up straight and have good posture. don't spread yourself out so far, you're only hurting yourself more and more.

and you're right. you're gonna have to rest your arm or at least cut back on the number of hours that play. if you start feeling any discomfort then you should stretch.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:31 am

For every 1,000,000 feet you remove from the keyboard cable, you shave 1 millisecond off your response time.

I suggest you start cutting.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:28 pm

maybe something like this would help.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=390404

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks Porky. I actually played just a wee bit with one of those back in 2005. They work great. I did buy it, but only used it for about 1 month before I went back to a standard keyboard.

They're actually pretty cool and well built.....I'm up for any and all suggestions. I might try the Belkin again.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:20 pm

b00m

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Sideous Prime wrote:b00m

I told you Sid was insane.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:37 pm

:D

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:00 pm

I have pains too but they are around back and lower and it has a name .
sidsramblingsillyasscommentsontsthatmakenofriggingsenseatallotherthantohearhimselftalkintis.

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Porkinator wrote:I have pains too but they are around back and lower and it has a name .
sidsramblingsillyasscommentsontsthatmakenofriggingsenseatallotherthantohearhimselftalkintis.

LOL Good 1 Pork

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Porkinator wrote:I have pains too but they are around back and lower and it has a name .

LOL

Return to “thoughts... more or less”