UT 3 first impressions

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Deadly
Clan Leader

Re: UT 3 first impressions

Postby Deadly » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:52 am

tagyourit wrote:I agree with you Deadly. I am giving UT3 a try to see if it grows on me. I actually liked the movement best in UT2003, although I didn't like the instant weapon switching.

I saw this thread on the UT3 forums that shows piped switching. Hopefully this will be helpful

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594419

Tag
Thanks for the info.
Deadly

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:16 am

Hoss wrote:So funny how things come full circle. I was in a UT99 clan for almost 3 years. When UT2003 came out the same discussions were made. There was huge debate over whether we would switch or not. The clan was split. Many ppl just quit because UT2003 dropped the sniper rifle, jump boots, was slower and had the shield. It took longer to get frags so you couldn't get as many. If anyone has UT99...load it up and take a look at the servers still running - lots of die hards lol. Maybe they are trying to lure back the old UT players. Remember the "Relic" mods? Lotta fun. I miss the headshot death sequence. When you got a headshot, the opponent's head would fly off, the avatar would stop, drop to its knees, then fall over...much more dramatic LOL.
I think the difference this time is that there isn't much of a debate in that there are only one of two clan members who are playing UT3 much. The sales of UT3 were only around 33,000 a week or two ago according to Pork. 2k3 did much better coming out of the chute, and the reviews of 2k3 and the buzz that it generated were way better than those for UT3. The reviews of UT3 that I've seen seem to be in a rather tepid "more of the same, but retro to '99" vein.

If the majority of the clan goes UT3, I'll play it too, just to stay with you guys. Otherwise....
Deadly

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:52 pm

yar
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:09 pm

I got mine all patched up and ready to roll. I did like the vehicle CTF in the demo so maybe that will be my place to start. I think as long as enough of us are on a team we will have fun doing whatever we are doing.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:45 am

Relics was remade for 2k4 also. Just never blew up. I'm having issues with UT3 after the first patch. Can't play Instant Matches anymore...and I just get a lame noise when I try to connect to a server. Campaign works just perfectly...like it matters :roll:

Was happy for a week...then it went to hell with more problems. :|

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:09 pm

well i finally got the thing loaded up and played some TDM with some familar names Lexx and Childsplay. I actually liked it I have not done any graphics tweaks yet and I was playing at 1920x 1200 res and doing well. Better then I thought it would be after all the talk. The graphics do kind of blow though. :?

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:54 pm

played for a bit last night and had a fun TDM match. I did notice though when the server list came up it said there was 130 servers online and they were mostly empty.At the same time of night COD 4 had 14,700 servers online mostly populated. :roll:

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Houdini wrote:played for a bit last night and had a fun TDM match. I did notice though when the server list came up it said there was 130 servers online and they were mostly empty.At the same time of night COD 4 had 14,700 servers online mostly populated. :roll:

I noticed the same thing Houdini, not good, not good at all. If you load of the original ut99 or even Quake 3 you can find over 100 servers hopping, those games are 8 years old now. :o

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 am

Yep - UT99 STILL rockin!

Enlight_2.0

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:50 am

Theres not even a way to add servers to your Favorites anymore, atleast not that i could find anymore because of the new patch. Spectating requires leaving the server. Not as many graphic options. Im getting use to the no jump, using the dodge more instead of double jumping. I just have to master the dodge while clipping with the sniper. Although since I can't get big airtime, and the lightning guns larder hit radius is gone, its harder to make the kill. Its a challenge that I will over come.

My handle on UT3 is Theseus_2.0

Im looking forward to a practice map like FNG sometimes soon, or classic maps like Rankin.
Always outnumbered, never out gunned.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:56 am

Enlight_2.0 wrote:Theres not even a way to add servers to your Favorites anymore, atleast not that i could find anymore because of the new patch. Spectating requires leaving the server. Not as many graphic options. Im getting use to the no jump, using the dodge more instead of double jumping. I just have to master the dodge while clipping with the sniper. Although since I can't get big airtime, and the lightning guns larder hit radius is gone, its harder to make the kill. Its a challenge that I will over come.

My handle on UT3 is Theseus_2.0

Im looking forward to a practice map like FNG sometimes soon, or classic maps like Rankin.

To add to favorites hop on a server play for a few and it should appear in history from there you can add to favorites.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Enlight_2.0

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Thats the thing, my history doesn't work anymore. I believe its the update.
Always outnumbered, never out gunned.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”