UT 3 first impressions

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Deadly
Clan Leader

Re: UT 3 first impressions

Postby Deadly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:00 am

law.of.averages wrote:
Deadly wrote:I have UT3 and I'm not playing it much. I play, and enjoy, 2k4 way more.

UT3 has most certainly not captured my imagination, or replaced 2k4 for me.

Oh man of wise words. What would you put down on paper as the biggest reason why you don't play?

2k4 is more fun for me because of the movement. The ability to move so much further with one dodge jump, and the slower movement allow me time to aim and shoot more effectively than UT3. And, the hit scan weapons are more satisfying somehow in 2k4. I much prefer LG over the sniper rifle, for example.

One of the differences that make a difference is the scale of the game. UT3 is designed to more in your face, close up action, which means for me, so far at least, that all the time I've spent in perfecting my hit scan in 2k4 has less value.

UT3 is a different game, which I'm sure that Pork will remind us. It is much like 2k4, but the differences in movement and game play do not enhance the joy of 2k4 for me. In a way, it's too similar to 2k4 for me to think of it as a new game, and too different in ways that eliminate or lessen the things I most like about 2k4.

Of course, the UI is clunky and one can only wonder why the game designers didn't use the lessons of 2k4 in designing it. A different console UI would make more sense to me. However, that's a minor consideration to me.

On a happier note, I stumbled onto a low G UT3 TDM server, and found the movement much more like that of 2k4. I could dodge jump and move around more fluidly than in regular G servers. IT was possible to jump high enough that I could get to places by jumping that were unaccessable in the regular servers.
Deadly

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am

Deadly wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:
Deadly wrote:I have UT3 and I'm not playing it much. I play, and enjoy, 2k4 way more.

Oh man of wise words. What would you put down on paper as the biggest reason why you don't play?

2k4 is more fun for me because of the movement. The ability to move so much further with one dodge jump, and the slower movement allow me time to aim and shoot more effectively than UT3. And, the hit scan weapons are more satisfying somehow in 2k4. I much prefer LG over the sniper rifle, for example.

One of the differences that make a difference is the scale of the game. UT3 is designed to more in your face, close up action, which means for me, so far at least, that all the time I've spent in perfecting my hit scan in 2k4 has less value.

UT3 is a different game, which I'm sure that Pork will remind us. It is much like 2k4, but the differences in movement and game play do not enhance the joy of 2k4 for me. In a way, it's too similar to 2k4 for me to think of it as a new game, and too different in ways that eliminate or lessen the things I most like about 2k4.

Of course, the UI is clunky and one can only wonder why the game designers didn't use the lessons of 2k4 in designing it. A different console UI would make more sense to me. However, that's a minor consideration to me.

On a happier note, I stumbled onto a low G UT3 TDM server, and found the movement much more like that of 2k4. I could dodge jump and move around more fluidly than in regular G servers. IT was possible to jump high enough that I could get to places by jumping that were unaccessable in the regular servers.

I picked it up a week ago and I agree with you deadly on all accounts. Something about the movement just doesn't feel right, too clucky and slow and the sniper just doesn't feel right at all. I think I have gone into the game about 3x since I got it and logged out promptely 5 min later.

I looked this morning and there were no servers playing deathmatch or tdm and 1 server in any other gametype that had people in it in a ping range anything below 150. :shock: I looked in ut2k4 throught the various game types just to compare and there were around 50 servers in the same ping range with lots of people playing. GG Epic!
Last edited by nonstop on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rall_Ricker

Postby Rall_Ricker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am

i have not played it yet but the way it sounds i dnt think ill like it. i like being able to dodge off walls and jump a long distance its wut makes the game fun if it is like quake i no ill hate it i just hope people stay playin 2k4 so im not all alone.
dont let the tiggrrrr get u...or nyte the nipple pincher either

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi Non,

I am playing UT3 some, and enjoying it ... some.

As I play more, I'm learning the necessary rhythms to move better. It does take some getting used to, of course.

As for finding servers, you're right. There aren't many yet, although I expect that the player base will grow over time.

I tried Team Fortress 2 for under 4 minutes. I will go back and try it again, since I've read so many rave reviews. It will make for some major adjustments in my expectations for an online FPS for sure. :salmon:

I have found that I've played 2k4 better after playing UT3. I suppose that the differences make for the formation of some new neural pathways (a fancy way of saying that it produced a few new reflexes).
Deadly

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:19 pm

Deadly wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:

It is a different game.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Well I was in Best Buy Monday picking up a gift for my sister and her fiance and decided to pick up UT 3 for $30.

Downside, the DEMO ran flawlessly on both my laptop and desktop once I got into the ini. I used the same settings from the DEMO on my retail version and bam...Artifacts galore. My frame rate kicks ass on my desktop, but I can't see shit cap'n :roll: . Same exact settings...same exact maps...can't play in retail, but runs flawlessly in the DEMO. Wtf...

Now I'm stuck running this game on my laptop until Epic pulls some type of magic patch to fix the artifact issue that is appearing for multiple users. This blows...since I finally had to get off my arse and order a new stick of RAM for this laptop...who knows wth happened to the original one that was in it.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:35 pm

1/2LuNaTiC wrote:Well I was in Best Buy Monday picking up a gift for my sister and her fiance and decided to pick up UT 3 for $30.

Downside, the DEMO ran flawlessly on both my laptop and desktop once I got into the ini. I used the same settings from the DEMO on my retail version and bam...Artifacts galore. My frame rate kicks ass on my desktop, but I can't see shit cap'n :roll: . Same exact settings...same exact maps...can't play in retail, but runs flawlessly in the DEMO. Wtf...

Now I'm stuck running this game on my laptop until Epic pulls some type of magic patch to fix the artifact issue that is appearing for multiple users. This blows...since I finally had to get off my arse and order a new stick of RAM for this laptop...who knows wth happened to the original one that was in it.

There was a patch released last week.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 pm

1.1 didn't fix the problem on my desktop and neither did beta 4. :salmon:

Damn you Epic...Looks like I need to adjust to playing on my laptop for now.

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:29 pm

Well great...this game just didn't work too well with my Omega drivers, forcing me to wipe them and install the latest. Bad part...16X.XX all gave me problems :roll: . I just pulled out my old disc and I'm back on 77.77. Everything on here runs just fine with those.

My name on UT 3 (if you ever find me on) is x1/2LuNaTiC . For who knows what reason I can't start my name with a 1...go figure..Gamespy ID's ftl. I play like crap...feels like UT99 at mach speed right now.

Enlight_2.0

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:57 am

1/2LuNaTiC wrote:1.1 didn't fix the problem on my desktop and neither did beta 4. :salmon:

Damn you Epic...Looks like I need to adjust to playing on my laptop for now.

I've heard touchpads on the laptops are for the 733t. :lol:

My opinion of the game is just from what I played on the DEMO so far. Unreal just seems a bit more real without the dodge jump combo gone now. I do like how UT2K4 is faster paced because of the jump combo. I can live w/o the lightning gun i suppose. I WANT to like the game, but so far, without the fast gameplay theres no reason for me to switch. Ill stick to UT2K4 and my other games.
Always outnumbered, never out gunned.

tagyourit

Postby tagyourit » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:47 pm

Hiya -Ti-,

I was expecting to see more of you all in UT3 servers...

Unfortunately the console market is where the money is, and Epic's intentions with UT3 are obvious. As Deadly said, if the PS3 version (or XBox) is popular, we might benefit from that in the long run. But the NPD sales figures for the PC version of UT3 are so bad, I can't see them investing much time improving the PC version; just what we can get from ports of the PS3 patches.

UT3 looks like a step backwards to me. UT3 looks so much like UT99, I can only believe that they were looking to recapture the glory days (i.e., the numbers) of UT99. I liked the graphic style of UT2004 better. IMHO it is just not a good idea to give something and take it away later. The shield gun for the impact hammer??? Spawning with grenades could buy me some time to get a weapon for the enforcer???. Of course the biggest thing for me is the dodge jumping.

I had the same experience with low gravity, in that it really was close to the dodge jump feel. There is a DodgeJump mutator out, but only a few servers have it, and I never find anyone playing on them.

I guess I will wait and see what happens, but last I checked the UT2004 player numbers were much higher than the number of people playing UT3. UT3 may be dead before UT2004. I have read that Epic has a contract with Midway for three releases and they may have been forced to release this version. This could also mean yearly UT releases (ala UT2003/UT2004). UT3 has potential, but I doubt they'll make the changes that might save it... time will tell.

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi Tag,

I think the reasons that you haven't seen more of us in UT3 are the same reasons for the poor sales of the game. I have UT3. I play it occasionally, but it has nothing in it that I like better than 2k4, and much that I like less. :(
Deadly

tagyourit

Postby tagyourit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:13 am

I agree with you Deadly. I am giving UT3 a try to see if it grows on me. I actually liked the movement best in UT2003, although I didn't like the instant weapon switching.

I saw this thread on the UT3 forums that shows piped switching. Hopefully this will be helpful

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594419

Tag

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:34 pm

tagyourit wrote:I agree with you Deadly. I am giving UT3 a try to see if it grows on me. I actually liked the movement best in UT2003, although I didn't like the instant weapon switching.

I saw this thread on the UT3 forums that shows piped switching. Hopefully this will be helpful

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594419

Tag

There you go Deadly that looks promising. Thanks tag I was trying to find that but gave up hope.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:33 pm

So funny how things come full circle. I was in a UT99 clan for almost 3 years. When UT2003 came out the same discussions were made. There was huge debate over whether we would switch or not. The clan was split. Many ppl just quit because UT2003 dropped the sniper rifle, jump boots, was slower and had the shield. It took longer to get frags so you couldn't get as many. If anyone has UT99...load it up and take a look at the servers still running - lots of die hards lol. Maybe they are trying to lure back the old UT players. Remember the "Relic" mods? Lotta fun. I miss the headshot death sequence. When you got a headshot, the opponent's head would fly off, the avatar would stop, drop to its knees, then fall over...much more dramatic LOL.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”