math lesson

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Porkinator

math lesson

Postby Porkinator » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

law.of.averages

Re: math lesson

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:34 am

Clever.

I and some buddies used to throw darts alot--blind-draw tournements at the local bar. I remember when we first started... I'd throw my three, walk to the board and start figuring out score... only to have my partner call it to me from behind the throw line.

After a year of playing fairly regularly, I started to notice that I'd be the one calling the score for my less experienced partners.

It all comes down to use it or lose it.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Which begs the question: do you really need to know the margin of error of a log that has a radius of 6 inches when the projected error is +-1/4 of a inch?

Damn math majors :?

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm

I saw a news story this week about "the new math" and it is scarry. One of the books had this questions in it:

If math was a food what would it be?

Schools are turning into R tard factories.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Houdini wrote:I saw a news story this week about "the new math" and it is scarry. One of the books had this questions in it:

If math was a food what would it be?

Schools are turning into R tard factories.

Well at least all those short busses will get better MPG than the big guys, and slow global warming.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”