computer build off

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Houdini wrote:Well I finally ordered my stuff today from New Egg and performance PC's sites. I will post some pics of the build if anyone is interested. I am going to build it stock and test stability and for issues and then tear it down and hook up the water cooling. So this is what I finally picked out:

ASUS P5B deluxe wi fi-AP p965
Intel E6600
Kingston DDR2 1066 PC 8500 (I know non I was going to get Corsair Ballistix but I thought I would give them a shot)
Raptor X 150 GB 10,000 rpm sata
Caviar 500 GB
8800 GTX watercooled overclocked edition.
700W Seasonic modular PSU- custom UV green arcylic cover and UV green fan.
Lian Li PC-G70 Aluminum Super Tower - Watercooled Edition
The case came with some cool customized options like a display mount that places the raptor drive in the window to get a good look at the window on the drive. I cant wait to see if that is going to be to loud I have heard many reviews saying that.

If when I hook the thing up I do fry all the components I will also post pics of that so Sid can laugh at me. :oops:

Thumbs up. Great stuff. Water cooling might be a little overkill as the core 2's don't need much if any voltage boost to o/c. My 6300 is at the 6800exreme level with no voltage adjustment. But it will be nice and quite if your radiator fan is.

Looks like fun dude. Let us know when you got it up.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:22 pm

nonstop wrote:Thumbs up. Great stuff. Water cooling might be a little overkill as the core 2's don't need much if any voltage boost to o/c. My 6300 is at the 6800exreme level with no voltage adjustment. But it will be nice and quite if your radiator fan is.

The core 2 duo is a very efficient chip and does not generate the heat of its predecessors. In fact it is the reason that the case layout format was not changed from ATX to BTX liked planned. BTX would have inverted the placement of the mobo to give optimal cooling but make all ATX form factor cases obsolete. So with this chip they did not need to do that and it looks like ATX is here for a bit longer.

Having said that giving the chip some juice really brings it to life and it does get a bit hotter. The Northbridge on the other hand is going to get toasty and I will have the H2O cooling on both the CPU and the NB. I will def put some pictures up as I get things going.

I am not sure that there will be silent operation first of all because the Raptor X drive is supposed to make a sound of two stones rubbing together. Also I am using 2 radiators one will be a 3 fan 120 mm in the top of the case and the other will be a single somewhere else.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Rom

Postby Rom » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:24 pm

At the moment i am using 2 raptor II 74 gig 16 meg buffers, set in raid 0 in 64 k stripe man that run so fast but you are right houdi they make noise a lot more than regular hdd but they are beast :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Deadly Frenchies

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:50 pm

is 0 raid for redundency or speed i forget.

Rom

Postby Rom » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:54 pm

For speed almost double the speed of a single raptor in few application
The Deadly Frenchies

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:39 pm

do they have to be the same drives to do that? Do I have to get another raptor???

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Houdini wrote:do they have to be the same drives to do that? Do I have to get another raptor???

It depends on the raid controller...You're guaranteed to be compatable if they're the same model drive (down to the hardware revision #) ...otherwise it depends on what the QVL says

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:25 pm

From what I have read on Raid it increases preformance about 5 % at the most.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Houdini wrote:
nonstop wrote:Thumbs up. Great stuff. Water cooling might be a little overkill as the core 2's don't need much if any voltage boost to o/c. My 6300 is at the 6800exreme level with no voltage adjustment. But it will be nice and quite if your radiator fan is.

Having said that giving the chip some juice really brings it to life and it does get a bit hotter. The Northbridge on the other hand is going to get toasty and I will have the H2O cooling on both the CPU and the NB. I will def put some pictures up as I get things going.

Like I said, you don't need to give this chip any extra juice even for some 500-600mhz increases, thus, heat is not an issue. Having said that, I like to keep things plenty cool and quite so I did get an arctic freezer for the cpu. 8)

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Porkinator wrote:From what I have read on Raid it increases preformance about 5 % at the most.

Pork, I'm running raid 0, and on the pub, I can get as many as 3 load-frag's in at the beginning of every new map. I'll admit I'm using older/cheaper SATA I drives, and the difference might not be the same if I had two top of the line SATA II's... but it's definitely faster than a single SATA I on the old Law One.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm

My experience has been that raid rules for performance but is still slower than a single raptor. Now 2 raptors in raid.... :!: :!: :!:

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 pm

Rom

Postby Rom » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Damn Pork i dont know what it gonna need you to understand like that should be done.Forget Amd at the moment if you want to built a powerfull pc.Everywhere they say so if you want to built a pwerfull pc core 2 is the choice nothing else
The Deadly Frenchies

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:17 pm

Rom wrote:Damn Pork i dont know what it gonna need you to understand like that should be done.Forget Amd at the moment if you want to built a powerfull pc.Everywhere they say so if you want to built a pwerfull pc core 2 is the choice nothing else

I prefer AMD and since there is very little price difference between
a E6600 and a 5600 X2 and while the AMD seems to average about 5 to 10 percent slower than the Intel I would like to stick to the AMD because the AM2 socket should have a longer upgrade life.
Besides it will be a pretty fast computer anyway and coupled with the new ATI cards it should rock for a long time.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:30 pm

If you are going to do RAID in a desktop do yourself a favor and go with RAID1. RAID0 is faster but RAID1 is more data-safe. Wouldn't it suck if you lost all those pictures you took?
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Return to “game hardware”