AP Poll, Top Villains of 2006

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Yrrek wrote:It's not that non, the problem is that people look at polls, but not the number of people surveyed, or even the questions asked and responses allowed. Rarely do they ever represent a comprehensive portion of society. I have read many polls that I may have similar opinions with, but I still distrust them. Polls always have an agenda. Here is a scenario you might be familiar with non: Jack Thompson in his crusade against video games. There are polls and studies that show violence and media causes violence in real life, and there are polls and studies that show the opposite: that violence in media is an outlet so that there is actually less violent tendencies in real life. Personally I side with the latter, that violence in media does not make people more violent in real life. I for one love violence in video games, movies, books etc, and the last time I was in an actual fight was 6 years ago. I didn't even start that fight, I was breaking it up and they turned on me. I like talking other people and hearing their opinions on things, I have changed my opinions many times while talking with others. Polls have never changed my opinion, and I doubt they will unless they manage to survey every single applicable person and be truly non-biased. I also know I don't have all the truth, and never will. =)

Ok ok, at least your using some logic and not being a blind hearted half wit. 8)

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:22 pm

I take quite a while to arrive at a conclusion, I think things out thoroughly. =)

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:22 am

nonstop wrote:Ok ok, at least your using some logic and not being a blind hearted half wit. 8)

And wtf is wrong with being a blind hearted half-wit? You got a problem with my stupidity? Get over it :!:

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 pm

LOL an AP poll? Associated Press is one of the most liberal groups in the U.S. This is well established.

http://news.aol.com/nation/story/_a/ap- ... 06?cid=505

Did YOU take this AP poll? Of course not...you had to be called. The questions asked are NOT consistent because they are not written. The tone of voice of the poller when posing the choices can greatly affect the response. AP is sister to the Washington Post, the most liberal rag there is.

As an example of the intelligence and attitude of the persons polled, (or chosen to be polled), those polled chose Michael J. Fox as second best celebrity!! Citing his congressional fight for Parkinsons disease. Those of you old enough to remember...how much did Michael J Fox fight for ANY disease before this disease over took him? Nada!

Bush...just like many other presidents has made many, many mistakes. He has grown pompous just like many other presidents elected for a second term. Sometimes he says things just plain stupid. But for all his flaws, he never was on the phone sending American pilots over another country to bomb them whilst receiving sloppy oral sex from a little girl. He never cheated on his wife and proclaimed emphatically to America, "I never had sexual relations with that woman!" This guy actually DID face impeachment procedings. The dude lied under oath. He made shady real estate deals, for which several people went to prison. He had women coming out left and right about all his affairs. Yet liberals forgave him and loved him.

Under Bill Clinton, we indiscriminantly bombed and burned alive thousands in and around Bosnia. But we are ok with that because there were few American casualties. WTF did they have to do with us? Under BC we whole heartedly attacked a sick Branch Dividian complex and accidently burned almost a hundred children alive. His VP created the Internet though so I guess we forgave all.

Liberals need to quit thinking with their emotions and Conservatives need to think about the little guy too - period.

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Well put Hoss.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:19 am

Hoss wrote:LOL an AP poll? Associated Press is one of the most liberal groups in the U.S. This is well established.

Did YOU take this AP poll? Of course not...you had to be called. The questions asked are NOT consistent because they are not written. The tone of voice of the poller when posing the choices can greatly affect the response. AP is sister to the Washington Post, the most liberal rag there is.

As an example of the intelligence and attitude of the persons polled, (or chosen to be polled), those polled chose Michael J. Fox as second best celebrity!! Citing his congressional fight for Parkinsons disease. Those of you old enough to remember...how much did Michael J Fox fight for ANY disease before this disease over took him? Nada!

Bush...just like many other presidents has made many, many mistakes. He has grown pompous just like many other presidents elected for a second term. Sometimes he says things just plain stupid. But for all his flaws, he never was on the phone sending American pilots over another country to bomb them whilst receiving sloppy oral sex from a little girl. He never cheated on his wife and proclaimed emphatically to America, "I never had sexual relations with that woman!" This guy actually DID face impeachment procedings. The dude lied under oath. He made shady real estate deals, for which several people went to prison. He had women coming out left and right about all his affairs. Yet liberals forgave him and loved him.

Under Bill Clinton, we indiscriminantly bombed and burned alive thousands in and around Bosnia. But we are ok with that because there were few American casualties. WTF did they have to do with us? Under BC we whole heartedly attacked a sick Branch Dividian complex and accidently burned almost a hundred children alive. His VP created the Internet though so I guess we forgave all.

Liberals need to quit thinking with their emotions and Conservatives need to think about the little guy too - period.

blah blah blah. The guy got a blow job and that's all you ever hear conservatives talk about. :wink:

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:20 am

Thank you...you just made my point.

:D :D :D

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:59 am

Hoss wrote:LOL an AP poll? Associated Press is one of the most liberal groups in the U.S. This is well established. <snip>
How specifically and by whom, has it been “well established” that Associated Press is one of the most liberal groups in the U.S?

Does AP perchance proclaim itself as a partisan organization?

The vast majority, if not all, of the establishment press (the conservative media elite) is owned by conservative interests. The reporters are mostly Democrats, and the owners, publishers, and editors, who decide what will actually be printed or broadcast, are conservatives.

You seem to be contending that any press organization that is liberal will slant its stories to support a “liberal” political agenda. Is that a correct assumption?

Do you think liberal reporters make up things (propaganda of the type so common on Fox News, the cable broadcast propaganda wing of the Bush Administration) just to attack the conservative or neoconservative agendas? I’m apparently pretty ignorant, about all of this, so if you’d cite a few examples, it would help me appreciate the truth of the matter

I know that the conservative talking heads and politicians cry “Liberal!” whenever a news item is published that embarrasses them or contradicts their ideologically constructed version of the “truth”. At times it seems to me that in their minds it’s as if the facts had a political agenda. And some people swallow their rantings whole.

For example, to this day, my mother still believes that WMD were found in Iraq, because some conservative radio commentator, Neil Boortz, said so. I find it amusing that his website he posts the following disclaimer: ALWAYS REMEMBER
Don't believe anything you read on this web page, or, for that matter, anything you hear on The Neal Boortz Show, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

I’ve noticed that many times the so called liberal press has parroted Bush administration talking points uncritically, even when there are contradicting facts. I remember the “liberal” New York Times publishing a critical article about Joe Wilson, who wrote an article exposing administration claims about Saddam’s efforts to buy yellow cake uranium from Niger as false. The Times article was soon after proven to be a false to fact repetition of an administration talking point. That, and their uncritical support for the Iraq war at the beginning is a sure indication of their bias, which is oh, so very liberal.

Take a look at Media Watch’s website: http://www.mediawatch.com. They frequently accuse the so called liberal media, like the NYT, for poor reporting that favors the conservative agenda, as well as calling the conservative pundits and media on their factual errors.

I’m sure that one of your first responses to the above will be that Media Watch is “liberal” and therefore untrustworthy in anything that they report. I’ve never know of any conservative attacks on their integrity to include any substantiated factual errors on Media Watch’s part. The conservative pundits, lacking substantial evidence, just rant, and vilify.

If you think that liberal publications are distorting or manufacturing facts to promote their agenda, then it follows that the same is true for the conservative press. It seems to me that the loudest and most strident attackers of the “liberal” media are a) engaged in a deliberate attempt to discredit unpleasant facts, b) demonstrating how they conduct journalism i.e. as propaganda c) are uninterested in “reality based” reporting because in their minds d) the purpose of the press is to shape public opinion, as opposed to providing the public with the information that it needs to make informed political decisions.

The Wall Street Journal is widely recognized as a conservative publication because if its editorials. It’s reporting is considered excellent precisely because it factually based and follows no obvious agenda. So it is apparently possible for a publication with a particular political bias, conservative or liberal, to engage in truthful, and factual reporting.

Well, that is my response to the first sentence in you post. I’ll get to the rest of it later. I’m hungry, and it’s breakfast time.
:)
Deadly

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:22 pm

well, i agree, and very much believe this...

as DDR said, dont believe everything u read
weather or knot it is purposeful, almost everything has a slant to it

ALSO...

keep this in mind...and im sure u all kno this, but as for the WMD comment, the gov't, UNDER ANY LEADERSHIP (ie. liberal/konservative/indie-monkey) will NEVER release important/klassified/secret data...ESPECIALLY about the WMDs...they DO KNO, tho...found or not, we (the public) will never really kno...we MAY kno someday when the gov't deems it okie-dokie...

that is an UNBIASED comment, just stating the facts...

i kno it sounds like a spy movie, but out gov't is about 2+ steps ahead of us 'normal' citizens...they KNO if there are (and how many) nukes North Korea has....they are using 8 kore CPUs....they are on DirectX 13 (LOL)...

it would be dense to think that they are getting their tech and info at the same pace we are

**that really was not ment to be a political comment, as in, not taking sides...thats just the way it iz...LOL...however, i still think im gonna get flamed on this anywayz...o well**

:D have a nyce day!! :D
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:00 pm

You seem to be contending that any press organization that is liberal will slant its stories to support a “liberal” political agenda. Is that a correct assumption?

Where in my post did I contend or assume this? The AP as well as many choice news agencies have long been liberal biased.

http://www.mediaresearch.org/videobias/dan_rather.asp

http://www.mrc.org/projects/couric/welcome.asp

News agencies owned by Conservatives?
http://www.cbscorporation.com/our_compa ... /index.php

"The vast majority, if not all, of the establishment press (the conservative media elite) is owned by conservative interests. The reporters are mostly Democrats, and the owners, publishers, and editors, who decide what will actually be printed or broadcast, are conservatives."

I don't think so. I don't have the time to post them all here...but here is one...

The exec director and founder of CBS, Sumner Redstone - "During the Carter Administration, he was appointed a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee of the Arts for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, and in 1984, was appointed a Director of the Kennedy Presidential Library Foundation. He also has served as a judge on the Foundations select committee to award the annual John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award, each year since the Awards inception in 1990."

Another director - David Andelman served as President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Assistant for Domestic Affairs from 1965 to 1969.

Right - real Bush backers here.

One would have to live in a cave to not be cognizant of biased media. Time and Newsweek for example. One is Liberal and one is Conservative. Each bash the other side and take things out of context much as has been done to my previous post.

Obviously my post was misunderstood. There is media bias on both sides. Look at Fox News. They claim to be "fair and unbiased." "With no Spin." BS! I often appreciate what O'Reilly has to report on. But just as often he doesn't even listen to the alternate view! He is rude and shuts people down who oppose his view points. How can Fox keep this guy on the air and let him promote his children's book after he simply paid a former employee off to keep her mouth shut about his sexual iniquities? Hannity and Colmes - c'mon...whom do they always seem to give the last word?

"You seem to be contending that any press organization that is liberal will slant its stories to support a “liberal” political agenda. Is that a correct assumption?"

Yes - biased media on both sides twist, cut, paste and spin the facts.

Your mother is correct in knowing there were WMD in Iraq.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002441264,00.html

Would you honestly surmise that he used all the chemicals he had for this one attack on his own people? Would you honestly surmise that this chemical was the only one he had at all? C'mon!
When you were little, and stole your mom's cookies, some you ate, some you hid. When she came after you, was your argument, "well if you can't find them, they never existed, therefore mom - you never made the cookies?." It didn't work for me either.

Are all media organizations Liberal? Of course not. I never proposed this.
My brother is in Iraq. He and many others he is serving with agree - The media's coverage of Iraq is 99% negative. Death, torture, murder, rape and destruction. "Shame on George Bush, blah blah blah." How often does the media show pictures of our soldiers surrounded by thankful Iraqis hugging them and thanking them? How much coverage did the media offer all those Iraqis who risked their lives and homes to come out and vote? Very little. How many interviews with Iraqis are shown when emphatically thanking our soldiers for freeing them from Saddam? All we ever hear/see from our media is the negative and they milk it for everything it's worth to bash Bush.
My brother tells me there are heroic and uplifting events our soldiers encounter every day over there. The media chooses to ignore these events and instead relentlessly show us how soldiers are on trial for murder and rape.

Do not assume, as I believe some have, that I am conservative. I believe in using common sense and thinking with my head, not my emotions. Around 2000 years ago a wise man once said, "be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove." Liberals and Conservatives alike should heed this advise.

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Hoss wrote:<snip>

Did YOU take this AP poll? Of course not...you had to be called. The questions asked are NOT consistent because they are not written. The tone of voice of the poller when posing the choices can greatly affect the response.
This is a well reasoned criticism, however it doesn’t apply to this poll. First, it is fair to assume that the questioners were reading from a script to ensure consistency of the wording of the questions. Secondly, from the article you cited it is apparent that the questions were open ended. Respondents were asked something like “Who was the biggest villain of 2006?”, which precludes the caller, no matter the voice tone, from influencing the name chosen. It has been my profession for the last 18 years to use voice tone, sneaky language, and nonverbal communication to influence my clients’ decisions and limiting beliefs. If you can teach me how to use my voice tone over the phone to elicit “Santa Clause” to the question, “Who was the biggest villain of 2006?”I will become your devoted student.
Deadly

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:43 pm

Hoss wrote:<snipage>As an example of the intelligence and attitude of the persons polled, (or chosen to be polled), those polled chose Michael J. Fox as second best celebrity!! Citing his congressional fight for Parkinsons disease. Those of you old enough to remember...how much did Michael J Fox fight for ANY disease before this disease over took him? Nada! <snip>
It is common for someone who contracts a disease or loses a loved one to a disease to become an advocate for finding a cure. Do you make the same judgments on all such people?

I think that insulting the intelligence of the respondents who find something inspiring in Fox’s struggles with Parkinson’s disease to be unpersuasive in the general context of your overall argument. But, that’s probably just me.
Deadly

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:46 pm

Bush...just like many other presidents has made many, many mistakes. He has grown pompous just like many other presidents elected for a second term. Sometimes he says things just plain stupid. But for all his flaws, he never was on the phone sending American pilots over another country to bomb them whilst receiving sloppy oral sex from a little girl. <snip>
As far as I know, Monica was an adult. And, I’ve never heard of any such incident about President Clinton being on the phone etc.
Deadly

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Hoss wrote:<snip> He never cheated on his wife and proclaimed emphatically to America, "I never had sexual relations with that woman!" This guy actually DID face impeachment procedings. The dude lied under oath. He made shady real estate deals, for which several people went to prison. He had women coming out left and right about all his affairs. Yet liberals forgave him and loved him.
I don’t consider myself a liberal, nor do I condone Clinton’s sexual peccadilloes, or hsi lies about them. However, I forgave him because he did a decent job as president in a lot of ways, (anyone remember budget surpluses?) and because his sexual improprieties didn’t kill anyone.
Deadly

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:51 pm

Under Bill Clinton, we indiscriminantly bombed and burned alive thousands in and around Bosnia. But we are ok with that because there were few American casualties. WTF did they have to do with us? <snip>
I’m not OK with it particularly, nor am I OK with the Clinton administration’s embargo on Iraqi oil that cause and estimated 500,000 children to die of malnutrition and related diseases. Bush kept up the embargo until the invasion, of course. They share responsibility for that one.
Deadly

Return to “thoughts... more or less”