Star Wars - Your Impressions (Spoilers)

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Star Wars - Your Impressions (Spoilers)

Postby nonstop » Mon May 23, 2005 7:39 am

If you havn't seen it and don't like spoilers then don't read this thread.

Ok, post your thoughts if you want. I'm curious on a few Ti members take of the latest installment.

For me, I felt like it was high on production values and low on script. I felt like the writing was just horrid. I also couldn't wait to see Samual Jackson get taken out. This guy has never fit in the universe. All the jedi have this zen way about them and then there's this street thug with his angry grimace from Pulp Fiction. Just didn't fit.

Yoda once again was great and probably more enjoyable than any of the others. Ewan was more comfortable in his role and seemed to fit.

Hayden did better this time around although still stoic and jilted. I blame Lucas because he is a good actor.

General Grevious- awesome.

For a large part of the movie I felt like things were just being checked off. Anakin scared badly so he needs a suit, check. Obi Wan and Yoda take exile, check. Luke and Leia born, check.

I was never a huge Star Wars geek if that helps because the fan boys are raving. I like episodes IV and V quite a bit but VI and the last 3 have been disappointing. I feel much the level of production is good but there are much more promising works being done in the genre these days and Lucas is just not that good anymore.

Look at what Bryan Singer did with Xmen and X2. Look at Peter Jackson and look at Sam Rami who are standing on the shoulders of Lucas and Spielberg.

Now Spielberg, he's still got some left in him and I think he will show us with War of the Worlds.

There are my thoughts. Sorry if there are any fanboys as I know they are rejoicing at the new outting.

Ace

Re: Star Wars - Your Impressions (Spoilers)

Postby Ace » Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 am

nonstop wrote:For me, I felt like it was high on production values and low on script.

That pretty much is how I feel.

The biggest overall downer for me is the character development. Not a single character seemed interesting to me in the three newest ones. Part of that may be 20 years ago, my impressions were "hey this is cool", where now I'm looking at the movies with adult eyes, so maybe it's an unfair comparison.

I'm not going to spend time ripping it apart, but here's the biggest mystery to me:

End of the 2nd one, Dukoo (sp?) whips the young Skywalker, Ben, and takes Yoda's best.

Start of the 3rd one, Dukoo beats Ben and Skywalker beats him easily...(showing me Skywalker has improved)

Middle, Samuel takes down the Emperor Pulp Fiction style. I'll give in that the Emperor made himself look defeated to sway Skywalker...but still it was hardly a fight.

Almost to the end, Emperor / Yoda battle goes to a draw. In the back of my mind, why was Samuel so sucessful previous fight?

Then the End, Ben beats Skywalker...which how is this possible after the very beginning when Skywalker appeared to surpass him.

Jedi's remind me a lot of playing UT, it doesn't matter how good you are, just depends on the day you are having.

Little things like that bug me. I suppose it's showing how equal things are....but to me it's just like make sure you got out on the right side of the bed before you fight because there isn't normal odds going into a stacked fight.

Rall_Ricker

Postby Rall_Ricker » Mon May 23, 2005 11:00 am

i liked it like u said it might be because im a kid but i thought it was good
dont let the tiggrrrr get u...or nyte the nipple pincher either

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon May 23, 2005 12:16 pm

Well, I guess the verdict is that I shouldn't go see it, eh?

Rall_Ricker

Postby Rall_Ricker » Mon May 23, 2005 3:24 pm

ur my age and i liked it so i say go see it
dont let the tiggrrrr get u...or nyte the nipple pincher either

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Mon May 23, 2005 5:59 pm

thats odd....my opinion is the komplete opposite of the previous reviews....

lol, it all depends on ur point of view....

i thought it was really well done....the story was just what it should have been....it filled all the gaps, and for those of us that kno the story line well, it happened just as it was supposed to....

i thought the character development was actually good, and aside from a few things....

i dont get how anakin 'instantly' changed it what seemed like the blink of an eye....

also, sorry non, but grevious sucked.....BAD.....why did he cough like an old man? that was dumb, konsidering that he had no LUNGS...also, one scene make no logical sense....the part where grevious jumps out of the ship in space would be the end of him.....his flesh organs whoulda EXPLODED instantly....LOL

Yoda owned.....its just that simple....

and i like jackson as mace windu....but, thats my own opinion

sorry, i thought it was the best of the newest 3 movies....

and good in its own ryte
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon May 23, 2005 6:56 pm

Well, I probably shouldn't trust an illiterate lizard, so.....I'll go and see it :lol:

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 pm

also, sorry non, but grevious sucked.....BAD.....why did he cough like an old man? that was dumb, konsidering that he had no LUNGS...also, one scene make no logical sense....the part where grevious jumps out of the ship in space would be the end of him.....his flesh organs whoulda EXPLODED instantly....LOL

I think it was a set up to help the idea of darth vader. Darth had machines keeping him alive too. I think Grievous was tissue and organs but mostly machine. The cough was kind of like the breathing you hear from darth. Just my guess.

And no apologies for your lack of taste lizard! No j/k, no apologies for liking something. Life is subjective and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Tue May 24, 2005 7:22 am

well, im glad i have ur approval!!!

:D

gud 2 c u at practice 2, btw!
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,

5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue May 24, 2005 7:57 am

I never saw episodes IV, V, and VI when they first came out. In fact, I'm still not positive I've seen all of 'em! I do know that I saw I and II though. As for number III: Meh. It was a movie. I had the storyline explained to me before viewing so that I wouldn't be too lost and they did a nice job of tying up the loose ends. However, I think many things were done poorly. Near the beginning there was far too much slapstick humor for my liking. Slapstick can be okay, but I don't think it fit. I was also disappointed in the bad acting. At many times it was like watching a soap opera, where the characters said things with no emotion and their faces were just blank or not fitting of the scene. My last gripe is Yoda turning into a bouncy ball. I believe they did that in the 2nd one too, and it was just as annoying.

I plan on watching the entire series again just so I can confirm my beliefs/disbeliefs about how this third episode fits into the big picture but for me episode I stands out as my favorite. Perhaps because I saw it first.

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue May 24, 2005 8:18 am

Trinity wrote:I can confirm my beliefs/disbeliefs about how this third episode fits into the big picture but for me episode I stands out as my favorite. Perhaps because I saw it first.

I can sum it up why it was your favorite....it had racing in it!

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue May 24, 2005 10:26 am

I agree completely Trin. The funny thing is all those people 'can' act their rear ends off. Lucas has some way with them. Maybe it's because every scene is in front of a blue screen? Not sure.

Also Nyte, I usually show up at practices but later. You know.. kids? They go down around 8pm cst which is 9. Weird thing is, not being on voice server, I go in one server during practice time and there's a 2v2 and on the other a 3v3. This has happened the last 2 practices I have attended and I'm alway like wth? So I leave and go play wow or 1v1. Mostly I play a couple with you all and by that time everyone is tired and leaving so I go play 1v1 for an hour or 2 in the private server. Misfit has come in. Last night Misfit brought one of his clan members who plays 1v1 in to see how he would do and even Wynn showed up and played me. It was fun.

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Tue May 24, 2005 11:33 am

I think Non has a point here ... I shall post a new topic thread so this one doesnt go and get hijacked further ;)
... WTF ...

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue May 31, 2005 8:43 pm

Saw it the other day... I've seen lots of BAD movies in my time... It's a personal hobby... How many of *you* own a dvd copy of Hell Comes To Frog Town

Though each individual scene was done well, the whole movie was spliced together rather badly... there wasn't much of a flow.

Most of the action scenes were done well... The last fight... well too unrealistic even for a movie where the viewer should expect some basic laws to either apply or have some para-cosmic reason why they don't. Er... red water rapids ? ... not happining.

Lucas originally said there'd be 9 films. After 3 he said there'd only be 6... I expect after 5 he was ready to call it quits, but figured if he did, that some outraged fan would end up pounding him into a street-corner.

So the drive for perfection wasn't there. Only a drive to completion. It wasn't even campy bad, as "Hell" was... it was just plain bad.

BTW, If anyone has a dvd copy of Toad Warrior: Hell Comes to Frog Town III please let me know asap!

Return to “thoughts... more or less”