Processor problems

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Avaris

Processor problems

Postby Avaris » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:59 pm

Alright, I have just a few questions regarding CPUs. For one, if I should get a Core 2 Duo, what sort of motherboard would I get (suppose I go for the E6400)? As far as I've seen on newegg, there's a lack of low-cost mobos that could overclock fairly well, so I'm stuck deciding what to get (SLI is not an issue here). Second, supposing I would go AMD, should I get a dual core, or a single if I would be gaming? I've read a few things people've written about this, and it seems to point to the single-core option.

Thanks, in advance.

Naix

Postby Naix » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:36 pm

Check out the gigabyte ds3 mobo, i think they are ironing out some memory issues, but you should be fine if you pick ram that has been known to work. Its only about $140 and it is supposed to be a great overclocker for the core2duo's. Some of the other good mobos are in the $190+ range so i think the ds3 is a good deal right now
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:37 am

I suggest Asus. Gigabyte has lousy customer service.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:11 am

This is very typical of a cpu/north bridge launch Av. If you try to get in on the very beginning of a new launch you're typically going to pay more because demand and manufacturers putting their high end boards out first. A good example of demand, look at the ddr2 prices for instance, they have jumped up 50% because of everyone wanting to build/buy a core 2 system.

Also manufacturers put out their low cost/stripped down alternatives a few months later. By January/Feb you will see lots of 100.00 boards for core 2.

If your overclocking you usually pay more because the boards come equipped with better bios options and better heat sinks for the north/southbridge and better capacitors etc.

If you want to overclock very much the least you can pay right now for a decent o/c board is:

The Gigabyte DS3 and the Asus P5B-E are about 150.00 on newegg. They are both your lower end clockers.

If you just want a board for your core 2 that may be able to overclock a bit and be cheap at the same time look at the Asus p5b and the Gigabyte S3. They both can be had for around 115.00

Gigabyte is leading the charge in the more cost effective/overclocking core 2 boards right now.

As far as service, I have built 40+ systems and never used the service from a board manufacturer once. If the board is bad, just RMA it with newegg in the first couple weeks you have it.

The most important thing when you get a new board for a new north bridge chipset and cpu that have only been in circulation a couple months is look at memory compatibility. Make sure and get memory that is compatible as newer board are picky until bios revisions come later.

(ask law) :lol:

Is looking at all this a headache? Yes. :oops:

Does it save you over 800-1000 dollars to do it yourself anyway... Yes. 8)

Your core2 system is going to cost you about 400-550 just for the mb/ram/cpu depending on your choices. Obviously you can spend much more and go full on Rom style. Your new board takes ddr2 memory so you can't bring your old with you.

You will also have to buy a new video card because your new board is a pci-e. For a decent card you will need to spend an additional 150.00 at least imo for a good one.

Your new board also only has 1 idi port for a total of 2 drives, 1 hd and 1 optical. This is a limitation of the p965 chipset not the boards as the p965 boards have 1 ide and about 5 sata ports.

Do you have windows? There is another 100.00.

do you have a psu that will handle the newer, higher powered cards? That could be another 100.00.

You can build an amd system much cheaper right now. Well intel too but don't touch the older cheaper p4 systems as they just aren't up to par with the similarly priced amd systems.

You could get a 65.00 amd 939 board and an 80 cpu with some cheap memory, maybe even the mem you have and build very cheap and possibly even skip the cost for needing a new video card by getting and agp board and using your current one.

So many decisions, so little time before ut2k7. :shock:

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:42 am

Well, seeing as how I need to upgrade now (literally, since my computer that I can actually do stuff on is dead), I doubt the Core2 Duos are really going to be any good, seeing as how most of the mobos are crap, or are out of my price range.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:11 am

Avaris wrote:Well, seeing as how I need to upgrade now (literally, since my computer that I can actually do stuff on is dead), I doubt the Core2 Duos are really going to be any good, seeing as how most of the mobos are crap, or are out of my price range.

Core 2 mb are fine. You just have to know what you are doing. Rom is running one now and it screams. I think your problem will be price. Go AMD.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:32 am

I'm going to disagree with Non on video card prices... The 7600 I just got was $99 after rebate. Not a *super-top-of-the-line* card, but a good one, nonetheless.

The total cost for Law Zero was just over $1000, and that's everything inside the case, except the case itself.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:34 am

law.of.averages wrote:I'm going to disagree with Non on video card prices... The 7600 I just got was $99 after rebate. Not a *super-top-of-the-line* card, but a good one, nonetheless.

The total cost for Law Zero was just over $1000, and that's everything inside the case, except the case itself.

No reason to be disagreeable law, drink your morning coffee. :wink:

Av plays a lot of games and honestly a 7600 isn't going to cut the mustard over the next couple years in some I know he wants to play, thus the 150.00 recommend.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:26 am

nonstop wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:I'm going to disagree with Non on video card prices... The 7600 I just got was $99 after rebate. Not a *super-top-of-the-line* card, but a good one, nonetheless.

Av plays a lot of games and honestly a 7600 isn't going to cut the mustard over the next couple years in some I know he wants to play, thus the 150.00 recommend.

I ended up going with a 7900 GS, which was on a weekend sale for 186. Add to that a 4600+, 1 gig of Corsair RAM, and an ASUS mobo.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 am

Avaris wrote:
nonstop wrote:

I ended up going with a 7900 GS, which was on a weekend sale for 186. Add to that a 4600+, 1 gig of Corsair RAM, and an ASUS mobo.

Nice, let me see the specs if you get a chance. What model mb and ram? Did you make sure they were compatible?

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:49 am

nonstop wrote:
Avaris wrote:
nonstop wrote:

Nice, let me see the specs if you get a chance. What model mb and ram? Did you make sure they were compatible?

Non, if I hadn't, I think I would have to shoot myself when I got it. The Mobo is a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe, with 1 gig of OCZ value RAM (I think).

Return to “game hardware”