Great ribs on a gas grill

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Great ribs on a gas grill

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:13 am

Ok Law, I want to hear yours too. This doesn't get into what kind of sauces or rubs you use as that's up to whatever you have locally, I use KC Rib Doctor and some local sauce.

This is more the cooking method. I struggled with ribs on a gas grill as you have to cool them longer and they tended to get to dry with the necessary cooking time. On a charcoal grill you can put a big pan of water in the center and all the charcoal around the edges so there are no flare ups and they stay nice and moist. You can do lots of things with them that way, spray apple juice every half hour, stack them, use various rubs etc..

On the gas grill I finally found a good method when I spoke with my brother in law who workes at KC's best meat market, McGonicles. He recommended parboiling them for 4 minutes before hand. After that coating them with a light coat of mustard to seal in flavors and then your dry rub(s), you never taste the mustard btw. Then put them on the grill for about 45 min to an hour on low. After that, wrap them in foil and put a coat of your favorite sauce on them and put a little water on the bottom of the foil for them to sit in and put them in the oven for about an hour on a lower heat. I'm still experimenting with heat temps there but after that they will be falling off the bone.

Ok your up.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:38 am

(Porkinator may want to change channels, as this could get graphic)

First up... If they're falling off the bone, they're over cooked! The meat should free easy, but require some peeling

Step 1. Buy good quality meat. That said, I ususally settle for the 3 pack from Sams Club, because I never plan far enough ahead.

Step 2. Trim the slabs. Remove the membrane from the inner side. I use the back edge of a steak knife to get it started, but then pull it off by hand. Pulling off the membrane removes a major barrier to flavoring the meat.

Step 3. Mix up some rib rub. Fresh spices, if you've had em for more than 3 months, throw them away. I'll post the recipe for the one I currently use after I get home.

Step 4. Coat the slabs with French's yellow mustard. Smear it on by hand, get good and messy. Follow with the rub. Work it into the slab.

Step 5. Cover and refridgerate overnight.

Step 6. Pull the ribs out, and let em get comfy on the counter while you get the rest ready

Step 7. Mix up some basting sauce. Use some of your rub, add water, vinegar, worchestershire, oil... boil... then add some citrus juice...lemon usually, but lime is a nice variation.

Step 8. Fire up the grill. Our grill is a big one... We got it from Sam's Club the year after we moved into the house. So YMMV. I'm still fighting with it to get the best balance. Usually I have the two outer burners on low, and have the ribs over the middle burner and/or on the vegetable rack up in the lid. You want around 200-220 degrees ideally.

Step 9. (optional) If you like smoky flavor, fill your smoker box (or a tuna can) with some wood chips, and put it over one of the burners. Want to go balls, out? Get some citrus wood matching your basting sauce.

Step 10. Toss on your slabs. I use a rack to get all three slabs up off the burners. Baste every 30 minutes, and rotate positions / orientations so that everything is evenly heated. Depending on your ribs / grill allow 4-8 hours cooking time.

Step 11. Prepare the finishing sauce. Here's where I skimp and usually use a store-bought BBQ sauce, since I like mine just as much without any. I've done home-made BBQ using both the Fat Boys recipe (I used to work there) and one I found in Southern Living. Southern Living is good because you don't have to make 3 gallons at a time :-)

Step 12. 10-15 minutes before you pull them off, add the finishing sauce.

Step 14. Serve.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:46 am

Don't forget to wear your cute lil apron . You know the one.
The one that opens in the back ?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:59 am

You forgot some steps.

15. Eat

16. Digest

17. Yeah.... too many steps.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:06 pm

law.of.averages wrote:(Porkinator may want to change channels, as this could get graphic)

First up... If they're falling off the bone, they're over cooked! The meat should free easy, but require some peeling

Step 1. Buy good quality meat. That said, I ususally settle for the 3 pack from Sams Club, because I never plan far enough ahead.

Step 2. Trim the slabs. Remove the membrane from the inner side. I use the back edge of a steak knife to get it started, but then pull it off by hand. Pulling off the membrane removes a major barrier to flavoring the meat.

Step 3. Mix up some rib rub. Fresh spices, if you've had em for more than 3 months, throw them away. I'll post the recipe for the one I currently use after I get home.

Step 4. Coat the slabs with French's yellow mustard. Smear it on by hand, get good and messy. Follow with the rub. Work it into the slab.

Step 5. Cover and refridgerate overnight.

Step 6. Pull the ribs out, and let em get comfy on the counter while you get the rest ready

Step 7. Mix up some basting sauce. Use some of your rub, add water, vinegar, worchestershire, oil... boil... then add some citrus juice...lemon usually, but lime is a nice variation.

Step 8. Fire up the grill. Our grill is a big one... We got it from Sam's Club the year after we moved into the house. So YMMV. I'm still fighting with it to get the best balance. Usually I have the two outer burners on low, and have the ribs over the middle burner and/or on the vegetable rack up in the lid. You want around 200-220 degrees ideally.

Step 9. (optional) If you like smoky flavor, fill your smoker box (or a tuna can) with some wood chips, and put it over one of the burners. Want to go balls, out? Get some citrus wood matching your basting sauce.

Step 10. Toss on your slabs. I use a rack to get all three slabs up off the burners. Baste every 30 minutes, and rotate positions / orientations so that everything is evenly heated. Depending on your ribs / grill allow 4-8 hours cooking time.

Step 11. Prepare the finishing sauce. Here's where I skimp and usually use a store-bought BBQ sauce, since I like mine just as much without any. I've done home-made BBQ using both the Fat Boys recipe (I used to work there) and one I found in Southern Living. Southern Living is good because you don't have to make 3 gallons at a time :-)

Step 14. Serve.

Damn Law... you are a rib makin foo! I'm trying your method out this weekend, sounds great.

law.of.averages

Rub a dub dub

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Here's the rib-rub I've been using of late... I think I found the orginal recipe on http://www.barbecuen.com but I've cut down the salt and added more garlic and pepper

3 heaping tablespoons of sea salt
2.5 heaping tablespoons garlic powder
2 heaping tablespoons of onion powder
2 heaping tablespoons of paprika
1.5 heapoing teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 heaping teaspoon of ground thyme
1 heaping teaspoon of ground sage
1 heaping teaspoon of grould bay leaf (lauris nobilis)
1 heaping teaspooon of celery seed

I use this quantity for 6 slabs... you'll want to rub 1/3 on the ribs, and save the rest for your basting sauce.

1 cup water
1 cup red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup worchestershire
1/4 cup olive oil
boil then add some citrus juice.

Enjoy

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:40 pm

ClownMajik wrote:You forgot some steps.

15. Eat

16. Digest

17. Yeah.... too many steps.

Well nobody's asked about Step 13. yet

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Guys I am surprised, shocked and hurt that no one asked a Texan how to BBQ :cry:

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:21 am

Hoss wrote:Guys I am surprised, shocked and hurt that no one asked a Texan how to BBQ :cry:

Who has time for steps like:

i. Start with a good healthy pick from the herd.

ii. Lasso him, wrestle the fight out of him, then drag him to the abattoir.

iii. Find the tallest mesquite tree on the ranch.

iv. Chop it down with a hand axe, then using your trusty bowie knife, whittle it down to smoker chips.

:D :) :D

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 am

Dam Law, I can see you HAVE been to Texas! :P

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:51 am

law.of.averages wrote:
Hoss wrote:Guys I am surprised, shocked and hurt that no one asked a Texan how to BBQ :cry:

Who has time for steps like:

i. Start with a good healthy pick from the herd.

ii. Lasso him, wrestle the fight out of him, then drag him to the abattoir.

iii. Find the tallest mesquite tree on the ranch.

iv. Chop it down with a hand axe, then using your trusty bowie knife, whittle it down to smoker chips.

:D :) :D

lol

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Ok, I will bite ..... whats step 13 ?!?!
... WTF ...

*Princess*

Postby *Princess* » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Yeah, a lil curious myself. What is step 13?
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
-- Catherine Zandonella

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:46 pm

they probably pee on it.
I gonna start a thread on how pigs cook liberals.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:09 pm

law.of.averages wrote:

Step 14. Serve.

Maybe it's just me, but Law putting any "finishing sauce" on anything has me worried.

My Step 13. Go to the Damon's or local rib place and order out!
Last edited by Ace on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”