Folding@home reaches GPU power computing

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Cüßèli

Folding@home reaches GPU power computing

Postby Cüßèli » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 pm

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2849

Let's hope i'm not making a dublicate, but this is obviously for a very good cause. It seems ATi struck a deal with Folding@home to run their top of the line GPUs for paralel computing power to solve problems in how protein fold/misfold there for creating deseases as of yet reperable by current scientific research. A beta client version is expected to come out next Mon but for now only top of the line x1900xt , crossfire will be able to run. Anandtech goes in details explaining how this all works.. Very good read IMO 5 * * * * * rs! :wink:

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:43 pm

yeah that is cool man. I seen something like that before but it was for some sort of astronmical calculation if I remember correctly.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 pm

Hey Cubelie, good post bro. I know misfit over in dxii has been doing this for his wife for over a year on cpu's. It's a major movement and a good one.

Cüßèli

Postby Cüßèli » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:57 am

I thinks that's seti@home Houdini http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Indeed Non, Fit has been doing it for awhile & its superb to see the number (like myself too) grow every day! No Gov or Institution can contribue the most into this project, unless communities around the world UNITE to fight the most deadly deseases that our generation and the ones to come face.

Like pointed out n the article it seems that CPU computing has hit a ceiling or is not as efficient as GPU computing. That's were ATi is going to expand it's market and learn new things.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:13 am

Cüßèli wrote:I thinks that's seti@home Houdini http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Indeed Non, Fit has been doing it for awhile & its superb to see the number (like myself too) grow every day! No Gov or Institution can contribue the most into this project, unless communities around the world UNITE to fight the most deadly deseases that our generation and the ones to come face.

Like pointed out n the article it seems that CPU computing has hit a ceiling or is not as efficient as GPU computing. That's were ATi is going to expand it's market and learn new things.

I read that when you sent it out and had heard that gpu's had actually surpassed cpu's in certain functions like floating point calculations and was pretty amazed. No wonder the damn things are so expensive.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”