My Little Brother

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Hoss

My Little Brother

Postby Hoss » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:10 am

Hey everyone, I thought it would be nice to share this first email from my little brother. He was sent to Iraq last week for 4 months. He has been in the Airforce on a surgical support team for over 20 years. He was helping surgeons as far back as when we invaded Panama. Far too many came back with broken legs from the jump.
He is now responsible for over 60 men and women and they are all taking their turn to serve in Iraq.
Seeing it on TV is one thing, but hearing it from someone you love and worry about is totally different. Please refrain from posting political comments.
God bless all our men and women over there.

Hey guys. I'm still here in the desert. I know I should have e-mailed sooner, but it's been crazy trying to get settled in. I'm finally getting to know where things are and am trying to get in a routine of things. It was a long flight over here. We stopped in a country called Qatar and was stuck there for a couple of days before we actually got here to Balad. What a miserable place that was. The heat and humidity was terrible, far worse than any humidity I've ever felt in Texas. On the morning we arrived there, it was already close to 100 degrees at 8:00 in the morning. I've heard the temperatures getting as high as 145. Here in Balad, it's warm, but bearable. It's not much different than San Antonio. I'm sure that the tempurature is around 100, but it's dry, and much more tolerable. I am, of course, working in the hospital here mainly assisting in orthopedic surgery. It is a busy, busy place and the patients that come here are nothing like I've ever seen before. We treat all patients, Americans and Iraqis. That's just the kind of people we are. They come in with bullet or fragment wounds to the face and head, and many come in without arms and legs caused from explosions. It's an amazing and gruesome sight to see. This is the real thing. My days are 12 hours, but they usually turn into 13 or 14 hours (not that it matters, because we can only do so much here). We work six days a week. Many times we are walking around in our uniform, flak vest (bullet proof vest on steroids), and a helmet. It's not so bad. We have large base here and there is acually a lot to do. There are several gyms so that I can come back in a little better shape. They try and put together many different kinds of clubs or groups to try and get people out of their rooms and involved with things. They have a theatre here with first run movies. They also have recreation centers with a lot to get involved in. They just want to get people busy so that they don't become hermits and just hang out in their rooms alone all of the time. Being away from your Loved ones is bad enough. Noone should dwell on it though. That's when people have problems. So, I'm doing okay. Life could be better, but it could be a lot worse. One, I get to stay in a trailer and not a tent like many soldiers and airmen in this country. Two, my deployment is only four months. Many of the army folks are here for an entire year. That is a long time. Three, we are pretty well protected by the security around here. This base is like a fortress. Yes, things may get in from overhead, but even when that's attempted, we intercept most of what's in the air. We are obviously in countrol here. I think that the biggest problem is the transition from our control to the control of the Iraqi police. The are in a learning process right now and are getting ther butts kicked. I think the American presence in this country will be here for a while.

Well, I've rattled on long enough. Don't worry, I'm doing well. I will keep in touch and let everyone know how things are going. When I find out how, I will send pictures. I also need to know what I can and cannot take pictures of. I wouldn't want to get arrested here.

Here is my address:
MSgt David T Hunter
332 AEW/EMDG/O.R.
APO AE 09315-9997

I Love you all and I will be in touch soon. Take care and fly those flags proudly.

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:40 am

Thanks for sharing that.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm

I don't think that I'd be able to stomach what you're doing, and I find it amazing that there are people out there such as you who are willing to do so. Best of luck Hoss, and godspeed. :D

Edit: Crap, I just realized it was your brother. Well, I wish him safety and godspeed.
Last edited by Avaris on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Send your brother my regards!

Naix

Postby Naix » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:18 pm

I'll keep him in my prayers.

I have a cousin in the marines over there who is coming back in the next few weeks. (think he's in falujah right now)

We've been lucky, he's only been injured by a little shrapnel. Nothing too serious, but it could have been much worse.

I think your brother is doing a great thing.

The people over there have a lot more courage than i think i'll ever possess :shock:
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 pm

The people over there have a lot more courage than i think i'll ever possess

Amen

*Princess*

Postby *Princess* » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:17 pm

God Bless him and the rest over there. Ill keep you and your family in my prayers Hoss. :wink:
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
-- Catherine Zandonella

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:11 am

thanks for sharing that H man that is very cool I bet you are mad proud.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:56 am

Sounds like a great guy Hoss. How much younger is he?

BeerNut

Re: My Little Brother

Postby BeerNut » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:27 am

.... I think the American presence in this country will be here for a while.

Deep down, I know that this is the reality of the situation... But there is something very dark and sobering hearing it directly from the source.

Thanks for posting that Hoss... It's nice to get a glimpse of things from the perspective of a real person who is risking it all for his country. All too often these days, the views of the people seem to be shrouded by politics and agendas.

Best of wishes to your brother and your family... It's people like him that make this country great.
*Beer -&- UT*

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 pm

It is people like him that keep us free . Please send my respects and admiration to him.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 pm

hoss,

stories like that really make my problems seem pretty insignifigant. :? :?

It's good to hear he's doing good things in the hellhole... He must be someone really special. I hope you see each other soon. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P My cousin was a marine scout during the initial invasion...I thought this would be done a long time ago. :(
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Re: My Little Brother

Postby -Jeta- » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:19 pm

BeerNut wrote:Best of wishes to your brother and your family... It's people like him that make this country great.

Exactly my thoughts! Thank you for sharing w/ us :)
... WTF ...

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:31 am

yup, hes definitely one of the TRUE heros
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Return to “thoughts... more or less”