new video card

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

D1AMOND{RS}

new video card

Postby D1AMOND{RS} » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Ok I have currently a 9700 Pro, I have to use an AGP slot right now, so what would u guys recommed as a step up??

DDD

nonstop

Re: new video card

Postby nonstop » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:05 am

diamond_diggity_dave wrote:Ok I have currently a 9700 Pro, I have to use an AGP slot right now, so what would u guys recommed as a step up??

DDD

It would be a better investment to get a pci-e motherboard as agp is fading away quickly.

If you absolutely have to go agp let me know how much money you can spend and I'll give you a couple ideas.

I don't think there are any more plans to make agp cards so the best you can get at this point would be a:

x850xt pe agp for about 189.99 from ATI or

7800gs agp for about 269.99 online from Nvidia

The nvidia card is faster but you can take a look at benchmarks online to compare for yourself.

Those prices are just what I found on newegg so you can probably hunt around and find better or specials.

Sadly, by buying agp right now you are going to pay more for that socket type than a better performing pci-e card. For instance you could pick up a 7900gt which is a great deal faster than the 7800gs for 199.99 which is about 70 dollars cheaper for a card that is quite a bit faster.

Might be worth considering getting a motherboard for 70 bucks. All you would need to upgrade then is your mem and ram depending on what you have. If you already have a compatible cpu/ram with the pci-e platforms you may not even have to do that.

Just some food for thought.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Bah, I have to upgrade soon, too. I guess like you, I have the ancient agp slots with an even more ancient GeForce 4 (ti4200). Looks like most of the stuff is out of my price range, though :?

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:00 pm

Avaris wrote:Bah, I have to upgrade soon, too. I guess like you, I have the ancient agp slots with an even more ancient GeForce 4 (ti4200). Looks like most of the stuff is out of my price range, though :?

Well Av, if you have a 4200, your cpu might be a limitation too as there is a bottleneck there eventually. Getting even a cheap 9700pro or 9800pro might be a good upgrade for you or if you went to nvidia maybe a 6800gt or a 6600gt. Those would be considerably less.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:39 pm

I've hit the maximum specs achieveable for my system (or, at least I think). My motherboard can't support anything higher than a 2600+ Barton. In any case, the new(er) stuff has to go down a lot in price before I can even consider a new system. :roll:

Return to “game hardware”