the UT community

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:14 pm

BeerNut wrote:
Avaris wrote:That's a bad thing for Nyte :wink:

lol... I dunno.

Nyte's got a pretty wicked sniper, and there is no spam in that. :D

*sigh... beer you haven't learned yet that you can never get the last word in on avaris. :oops:

FATTYLLAMA

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:43 pm

nonstop wrote:To answer your questions Fatty, top online shooters right now are Day of Defeat, which is actually quite fun. It's definately in the wwII shooter genre which most popular games are right now. As beer said, 1 shot 1 kill mostly but I still liked it the few times I tried the beta.

Also Battlefield II is huge or BF2 and has been.

But you know what is sucking most peoples time is wow. Wow has sucked millions of players time away from other games. There are several blogs from ut players saying they or their friends are never playing ut because they are playing wow.

On another note, Beer actually, for once, didn't sound as grumpy and sounded more reasonable to me when he described tam. Usually when beer can't even mention it or he starts to combust. He usually refers to it as 'the unmentionable one" or "that gametype we do not speak of." :wink:

There are lots more people playing it lately. Go to 3spn.com and install it if you want to see it appear in your gametypes when your searching online servers. You will then see lot of peeps in different tam servers.

I actually like tdm too but was just thinking today that I might ask dragon to make a manditory map vote because I just don't like playing all those 1on1 maps on the tdm server with 8-12 people on them. It's just spawnkill and spam city when some of those maps come into rotation like compressed, ironic etc...

ive always had trouble playing TDM or DM games in general, im talking q3, UT2k3, UT, etc.. with more than 6 people on the server. add the fact that right now i just totally blow ass at 2k4, the whole pub ti thing is getting kinda difficult for me. but i look forward to this TAM thing

now, I know WoW has eaten everyone's time. I was a victim myself. Most people who have decent control over their character do not have the gear that requires 40+ hours a week to play, and the people who do have that kind of time are running around killing everyone with raid configurations. The game has become a rediculous gear compilation competition.

Now, Day of Defeat, you're talking source right? I might shell out the 20 bucks for this one. I have just put in order for a g5 and an n52, so I will need to put those in good use. I always hated the Battlefield series games. I never got to actually try out Battlefield 2, but 1942 and vietnam were definitely not my type of game. Until 2k7, is the FPS section of games kind of dry? I know FEAR and Prey are big games, but all i ever hear about is the single player, save for the free FEAR multiplayer being released in a few days

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:56 am

nonstop wrote:
BeerNut wrote:
Avaris wrote:That's a bad thing for Nyte :wink:

lol... I dunno.

Nyte's got a pretty wicked sniper, and there is no spam in that. :D

*sigh... beer you haven't learned yet that you can never get the last word in on avaris. :oops:

And you never stop arguing, do you? :wink:

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:48 am

ty for the kompliment beer...

although, it usually feels like i cant anything, including the wallz...

the wallz hax 2, ya kno...

:D

also-i perfer TDM cuz there isnt a chance of waiting like 4 minutes between rounds....it really sucks to be killed in like the first 5 seconds and then have to wait for 2 either noobs or pros go at it for an at length overtyme....no spawn killing is good tho, and so is the fact u dont need to tyme anything....what i really like about TDM tho, is that there is always lots of targets, eg. backs to shoot!

ill play either tho, im about playing with good ppl, and not necessarily the gametype....

YAY
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:12 am

It funny that someone mentioned that a lot of UT players left for wow because that is what fatty did. One second he was there then I heard him talk about warcarft and he vanished for a year. That game must be really involved.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Sloth

Postby Sloth » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:45 am

tam is fun if it is played fun.

i'm talkin about when you have two teams that have strong hitscan (basically the entire competitive scene) it turns into hide and seek and no longer in your face and gets a little boring.

so when we play tam we charge in screaming our heads off to try and keep things exciting... and that is why we suck at tam.

btw.. whoever thinks you can't spam LG shots... i could get them every other round it seems. just sit at LG on grendel and aim across to the rox hallway... you can predict when somebody pokes their head at the edge and spam away. you'll get hits more than you think...

i do think tdm is superior...

but having said that... i'll play where the games are :P

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:33 pm

MTX is doing a great deal of bringing the TDM community back (like DX, Gravity/Horizon, etc.) Moyer, Epitaph, and Cursive have put a lot of time into the soon to be TDM Open "monthly." The competition has brought back a lot of the old clans and older people. We hope that TDM comes back in style more so than it is now, and we encourage TAM players to come join the league and have a little fun.
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:11 pm

Sloth wrote:tam is fun if it is played fun.

i'm talkin about when you have two teams that have strong hitscan (basically the entire competitive scene) it turns into hide and seek and no longer in your face and gets a little boring.

so when we play tam we charge in screaming our heads off to try and keep things exciting... and that is why we suck at tam.

btw.. whoever thinks you can't spam LG shots... i could get them every other round it seems. just sit at LG on grendel and aim across to the rox hallway... you can predict when somebody pokes their head at the edge and spam away. you'll get hits more than you think...

i do think tdm is superior...

but having said that... i'll play where the games are :P

Good thoughts sloth. I agree, but I find the less time I have to play I enjoy tam more.

Obviously it's all personal preferences but 2 biggies for me,

1. Social aspect - I'm rarely on teamspeak because I need to hear kiddies and can't wear headphones, just play with the sound real low so.. any chatting and talking with other members/friends is all done on the keyboard. Tam, when there are breaks between rounds and I'm waiting, I can chat and say hey a little. With tdm I'm constantly playing so chatting doesn't really happen except the 3 seconds pewter has at the end of the game before the next map comes up. :shock:

2. Enjoyment - When I don't play much, remembering timings and getting my game going in tdm takes me too long. I get 1 or 2 games every other day or less sometimes and it takes my sorry arss about 3 or 4 games to get in the groove for tdm when I'm not playing much. With tam I can just come in and have some fun and still feel that I can at least 'hang in there' to some degree.

The other factor is the maps on our ti server are so small and I just don't care for all the spamming as much. I love it when we are on goliath and other bigger maps but when you get 8+ people running around on those 1on1 maps it's just not fun for me.

There is my 2c.

So in review....

tdm = superior (agreed)

tam = gives me more time to chat with folks the 1 or 2 games I'm on and I can still compete more when I haven't been playing.

Rom

Postby Rom » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

I agree whit you all the way non,you are more wise than you show us :wink: :wink: :wink:
The Deadly Frenchies

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:23 pm

i like sloths comment....

its fun to do a lil in-yo-face fyghting....me likie the trench warfare!

:D
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,

5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

FATTYLLAMA

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:30 pm

Houdini wrote:It funny that someone mentioned that a lot of UT players left for wow because that is what fatty did. One second he was there then I heard him talk about warcarft and he vanished for a year. That game must be really involved.

you start by playing around 30 minutes a day. then it becomes at least an hour as you become obsessed with leveling. then it becomes, you are blowing off necessary things, such as eating and sleep, just to play 2 or 3 hours. by the time you are almost at level 60, the highest level, you are putting in 5 or 6 hours a day, and if you dont level, you become grumpy and groggy

then when you raid (40 man dungeons with your guild, fighting bosses), your real life is over

this team arena master thing sounds too much like cs

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:17 pm

FATTYLLAMA wrote:
Houdini wrote:It funny that someone mentioned that a lot of UT players left for wow because that is what fatty did. One second he was there then I heard him talk about warcarft and he vanished for a year. That game must be really involved.

you start by playing around 30 minutes a day. then it becomes at least an hour as you become obsessed with leveling. then it becomes, you are blowing off necessary things, such as eating and sleep, just to play 2 or 3 hours. by the time you are almost at level 60, the highest level, you are putting in 5 or 6 hours a day, and if you dont level, you become grumpy and groggy

then when you raid (40 man dungeons with your guild, fighting bosses), your real life is over

True... I couldn't get to the high levels fatty because it was too much of a time sink so I would just start characters and get to 20 and start another lol. Everyone says 'but the real game starts at 60' but what they don't realize that they are saying is 'but my life is spent mostly online at 60 and I have dropped all other responsibilities to feed the wow leveling machine.'

FATTYLLAMA

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:36 pm

nonstop wrote:
True... I couldn't get to the high levels fatty because it was too much of a time sink so I would just start characters and get to 20 and start another lol. Everyone says 'but the real game starts at 60' but what they don't realize that they are saying is 'but my life is spent mostly online at 60 and I have dropped all other responsibilities to feed the wow leveling machine.'

yep. when i was finished, about 14 months of playing the game, i had logged in roughly 65 days into the game... which is about 1560 hours. that was considered light also, there were some people that had more than 3 times that amount when i quit in february.

it is true though, that the game is much more fun when everyone is at 60 with somewhat equal gear. it becomes less fun when the unemployed people living in mom's basement play for 35 hours a day, comes out with the best gear ever, and kills everyone.

whatever. im finished with that, i am looking for a good new popular game that i can use a new g5 and a new n52. its always fun playing with u guys

Sloth

Postby Sloth » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 am

TAM is peerrrrfect for the old S!N drunkfests we used to hold. in TDM i would forget to drink cuz there was no stoppage time!

we have played TAM as a drinking game b4.. was fun.

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:42 am

Strip TAM even better!

Strip, Drinking TAM FTW!!

Return to “thoughts... more or less”