Computer Building 101

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Computer Building 101

Postby nonstop » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:09 am

So Naix may build his first computer and as you may recall when you built your first one, it's good to have folks to bounce things off of.

I was trying to remember who is hardware savvy here? I know Doc and Pwt are. Any other victims that can lend an ear or help when he goes through his gaming rite of passage? 8)

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:20 am

Can I just interject here for Nyte, thanks. Please remember to immediately flash your BIOS as soon as the computer is operational.

Thank You

Houdi
Frankie

*Upgrading a BIOS without knowing the implications may cause serious adverse affects. Please do not upgrade a BIOS unless directed to do so by a qualified support technician.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 am

Nice Houdini. That was great. Now your a resource! :wink:

Here is a starting place for what he is possibly getting. I chose the amd2 as it's future compatible and the x1800xt is a great card for the bucks.

The case is more of a placeholder as I'm didn't look into those very hard yet. Also we are borrowing drives from his last computer.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3779123&WishListTitle=naix+w%2Fx1800xl

Dr.Feelgood

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153023

after some discussion myself and nonstop came upon this PSU as a finalist instead of the antec....discuss!
Because I really don't have anything interesting to say for the most part...

"Hi mom!"

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:48 am

Wait, you are picking the parts out for him? I think he ought to pick stuff out first and then we go over it and make suggestions, that way he can explain why he picked that out, and then we can explains ourselves in kind. I took that approach and after talking to a good amount of people and taking my budget into account I chose my final parts. I think this is a good way for him to get into the hardware field that way instead of us picking out everything and him not really understanding why other than because "we said so," he will get the learning experience.

I would be happy to lend my help to the project btw. Just let me get back to Vermont first! =) Hopefully I will be in and surfing the net again saturday! First jump is on Wednesday! *crosses fingers*

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:59 am

Try the 6800 GS, great card for the money :D

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:22 pm

This is your first build? Ok well, at least ONE thing will go wrong, trust me from building three computers in the past few months, at least one thing from major (my mobo burnt up the second time I turned the comp on for tests) to minor (PSU wasnt the right size.) Something is bound to go wrong.
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:23 pm

Dr.Feelgood wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

after some discussion myself and nonstop came upon this PSU as a finalist instead of the antec....discuss!

Thats the PSU I have actually, great supply started up with no problems.
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 pm

Soulja wrote:This is your first build? Ok well, at least ONE thing will go wrong, trust me from building three computers in the past few months, at least one thing from major (my mobo burnt up the second time I turned the comp on for tests) to minor (PSU wasnt the right size.) Something is bound to go wrong.

Tell me more on the wrong size psu? Wrong size for the case or the connectors didnt' work for your mb?

Yrrek wrote:Wait, you are picking the parts out for him? I think he ought to pick stuff out first and then we go over it and make suggestions, that way he can explain why he picked that out, and then we can explains ourselves in kind. I took that approach and after talking to a good amount of people and taking my budget into account I chose my final parts. I think this is a good way for him to get into the hardware field that way instead of us picking out everything and him not really understanding why other than because "we said so," he will get the learning experience.

I would be happy to lend my help to the project btw. Just let me get back to Vermont first! =) Hopefully I will be in and surfing the net again saturday! First jump is on Wednesday! *crosses fingers*

Yrrek good luck on the first jump. Weeeeeee...

Also I like your idea but Naix didn't even know where to start and hasn't even considered doing this so we had to have a benchmark or starting place if you will. I do like your idea of open convo though as that is a good way to learn.

Avaris wrote:Try the 6800 GS, great card for the money :D

Not a bad card Av but you can get next gen architecture and more speed for the same price. geforece7600gt or an x1800gto or xt

Last edited by nonstop on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:20 pm

Ah, I see what you mean non. I will do some research once I get back in town. Also I have had multiple power supplies give me problems during the installations where a fan on the top of the case was in the way because of how long the PSU was, silly little things like that. You can usually work around them, but not always.

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:27 pm

nonstop wrote:
Soulja wrote:This is your first build? Ok well, at least ONE thing will go wrong, trust me from building three computers in the past few months, at least one thing from major (my mobo burnt up the second time I turned the comp on for tests) to minor (PSU wasnt the right size.) Something is bound to go wrong.

Tell me more on the wrong size psu? Wrong size for the case or the connectors didnt' work for your mb?

This wasn't my issue, it was my buddies. Aspire has a line of cases and supplies that online go with eachother (I believe its the Turbo line.) ANd he had a normal midsize case with an Aspire Turbo PSU, and it was too large, the screws didnt line up properly.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:50 pm

Ok
A few suggestions here . The price wars will begin at the end
of this month between AMD and Intel.
Around the 28th Intel will launch their AMD killer (according to Intel) the Core 2 duo. This is suppose to be UP TO 40 % faster than the AMD64 but I will wait for independent testing before believing that. Intel will dramatically slash their prices on all existing CPUs to clear out the inventory.
AMD will drop prices to keep up with Intel.
I highly suggest going with a dual core cpu as the prices are coming down a great bit. I persanlly believe the AMD is the best CPU you can get at this time. AMD will discontinue tha CPU with one or two MBS of L2 cache to keep production levels where they can manage them. You are on the right track with the M2 cpus I believe. Remember AM2 use DDR2 ram and the dual cores use the fasteset. (667)
Here is the chart.
MEMORY CHART FOR AM2 CPU

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX

DDR2-800 (PC2-6400)

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2

DDR2-800 (PC2-6400)

AMD Athlon™ 64

DDR2-667 (PC2-5300)

Here is a guide for what AM2 dual core should be priced at or lower.
Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / 2.2 GHz Dual-Core - Socket AM2 - L2 2 MB ( 2 x 1 MB ) – Box 492.00

Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ / 2.2 GHz Dual-Core - Socket AM2 - L2 1 MB ( 2 x 512 KB ) – Box 386.00

AMD ATHLON64 X2 4600+ AM2 PIB AM2 SOCKET 589.00

AMD ATHLON64 X2 5000+ AM2 PIB AM2 SOCKET 730.00

It should be lower as this is about a month old.
I don't mean to be confusing but since this is right around the corner time wise it may be something worth considering.

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:03 pm

Is it true that we should just consider those prices slashed in half?

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Porkinator wrote:Ok
A few suggestions here . The price wars will begin at the end
of this month between AMD and Intel.
Around the 28th Intel will launch their AMD killer (according to Intel) the Core 2 duo. This is suppose to be UP TO 40 % faster than the AMD64 but I will wait for independent testing before believing that. Intel will dramatically slash their prices on all existing CPUs to clear out the inventory.

Righto Pork! Good comments. The Conroe cores aren't out yet until 7/27 this month and some early results show a big advantage however the am2 mb is a placeholder of sorts too as it's a more mature platform as it's mostly a tweaked 939 and the main changes with this new cpu will not show up until next year in the newer processors which this motherboard will handle so it's very future proof for a couple of years. (that's about as good as it gets these days). :)

The architectural revisions to the K8 won't really show up until 07 however this mb is future compatible with those revisions. So the amd2 most likely will give the conroe core a run for it's money and naix can upgrade just fine without replacing the mb and have the faster ddr 800 memory now. We also don't know the prices yet on conroe. Something else I was considering since Conroe is new the chipsets and drivers will take several months to stabilize through upgrades whereas the amd2 platform is very mature in comparison.

The Socket-AM2 seems to be more about the introduction of a more efficient cpu in terms of energy usage or watt consumption which are not out yet but will fit into this AM2 MSI motherboard I chose here.

You mentioned dual core is faster, this is true by the insider specs for an intel conroe core however dual core from anything out now by intel or amd is slower with games unless your looking at Quake4 which most people in this clan don't play.

Don't get me wrong, the conroe looks great initially and if naix doesn't buy for a while it might be a good choice depending on the price/perforamcne ratio but like you I'm in a wait and see mode for now. 8)

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:30 pm

There's only a slight problem, Non. Unlike many of us, you have money. I'll put the recommendation under "budget" :D

Return to “game hardware”