successful computer cleaning

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

successful computer cleaning

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:52 pm

Well after 6 hours, I successfuly reinstalled a fresh copy of windows XP. I deleted my HP partition and removed everything that was related to hewlet packard. Even compared to a fresh HP system recovery, my bootup is twice as fast. It took a while to find all the manufacturer drivers for my chipset and other hardware. After all, I have no disks. Everything was located in that partition. But even with a chipset, no drivers came from HP this time :) Not to mention my 4.6 gegs of personal files that I had to unzip and reorganize.

Even with saving my UT ini files, my mouse sensitivity is a little odd as expected. I have a nvidea sound driver now, but it sounds like crap with headphones. I even spent 2 hours last night in UT playing around with the vidia NVMixer with little success. :( If anyone has any experience with these drivers, please help! I also had to turn my master volume to near mute with these drivers just to keep my speakers from blowing. Normaly I had the toggle in the middle. I tried installing the regular RealTek sound drivers, but for some reason XP didnt like it and decided to not reboot after installation. I couldnt even go into safe mode. I ended up rolling the computer back 20 mintues to its latest safe spot. Of course that meant reinstalling most of my drivers again lol.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:08 pm

That sounds pretty pooptastic. I have not ever used those drivers, so I can't help there. Did you do this project just for the hell of it? Or was there a problem that needed to be fixed, aside from your computer being HP and not a custom built? =)

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:50 pm

f***ing HP and their damn system restore discs. why can't they be like some other manufactures and give you driver disks. it would make everyones lives a hell of a lot easier.

my experiences with the realtec drivers is not a good one. i ran a driver update on my hp 540 media center on the realtec audio driver and the anti-virus(symantec corporate 8.0) came back saying it was a trojan. :shock: so i rolled it back and it was fine. it very well may have been a false positive but still...

couldn't you have taken your cab file off the previous windows install and burned it to a cd and used for drivers this time around? i've never done that so someone with more experience with that may want to chime in one that one.

good luck clown. maybe if you use your boothter everything will work right! :P
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Well you can request for them. But they still dont send you the physical windows disk even though I payed for the liscense. What they do is send you an HP recovery disk. It acts as the same function as the partition. They also charge you $45 processing and S&H to send it. Also if you are not under the manufacturer's warranty, they charge you an additional $45 to cover it. Basicly the windows liscense is a 90 day trial....
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:22 pm

Did you find the specific motherboard and sound chipset for it? Also another option, get a cheap sb card and disable the onboard.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:54 am

ClownMajik wrote:Well you can request for them. But they still dont send you the physical windows disk even though I payed for the liscense. What they do is send you an HP recovery disk. It acts as the same function as the partition. They also charge you $45 processing and S&H to send it. Also if you are not under the manufacturer's warranty, they charge you an additional $45 to cover it. Basicly the windows liscense is a 90 day trial....

Clown, if you have a CD key, you can *find* a CD... The trick is knowing which one to find... OEM, Volume, or Retail

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:43 am

(or which torrent that is active) :o

law.of.averages wrote:
ClownMajik wrote:Well you can request for them. But they still dont send you the physical windows disk even though I payed for the liscense. What they do is send you an HP recovery disk. It acts as the same function as the partition. They also charge you $45 processing and S&H to send it. Also if you are not under the manufacturer's warranty, they charge you an additional $45 to cover it. Basicly the windows liscense is a 90 day trial....

Clown, if you have a CD key, you can *find* a CD... The trick is knowing which one to find... OEM, Volume, or Retail

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:49 pm

law.of.averages wrote:Clown, if you have a CD key, you can *find* a CD... The trick is knowing which one to find... OEM, Volume, or Retail

I stole a XP professional disk from my old work a while back. Worked just fine.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:47 pm

ClownMajik wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:Clown, if you have a CD key, you can *find* a CD... The trick is knowing which one to find... OEM, Volume, or Retail

I stole a XP professional disk from my old work a while back. Worked just fine.

Well...there you go! Love conqueres all

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:14 pm

lol
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Return to “thoughts... more or less”