Mohare Coalition

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Avaris

Mohare Coalition

Postby Avaris » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:57 am

To many people's surprise here, the elections didn't turn out much different from the ones in the states, the exception being two conservative parties, one more liberal than the other. In the beginning, the more liberal party, known as "Platforma Obywatelska", or PO for short, seemed to have an advantage as far as the polls showed. The other party, PiS, or "Prawo i Sprawiedliwosc", the very conservative institution basing its values more or less in a Bush-style way, with religious and family along with security of the people being their top priority.

Now, as to the similarity with these elections, the title is very key here. Mohare ( or mahorowe), is a term commonly used to describe old ladies with berets of a very hairy wool, a.k.a mohare. These old ladies (and men, sometimes), are part of the people who grew up in the olden days, of communism and whatnot, and have very, very deeply rooted beliefs. As it happened in the states, religion played a VERY important role, and the same trend showed itself here as well. Radio Maria, a religious radio station that is broadcast throughout Poland (and is in the states) is part of a larger plan of a priest called "Rydzyk".

The elections are where Rydzyk comes into play, though. His beliefs are a really just a bunch of ideals about hate, racisms, and whatever else you can think of. Kill all the communists, murder the jews, make the church an integrated part of the political institution, that's what this guy is about. His ideas appeal greatly to this older public, who donate ridiculous amounts of money to him, and gives them very strange ideas. As someone once said to me, "You can't say anything about him because you haven't given him any money". But obviously this doesn't apply to other politicians, who are called dogs by people.

It just so happens that there are a great number of people like this in this country. Suprise surprise, people voted for PiS, which, it turns out, is exactly like Bush, promising a lot, but unable to be able to actually fulfill that promise. When it came to forming a coalition between the two parties, it just didn't happen. In short, this country is screwed for a longer time. Talks with the EU are breaking down after only being in the European Union for 1 year. Poland has gone to the dogs, as we say.

As for the title of this thread, its just something the newspapers have been using. I also heard that the mohare ladies ( today) wanted Donald Tusk, the leader of PO, to give them a public apology for god-knows-what. Is it just me, of are more and more countries following the path of Bush?

Return to “thoughts... more or less”