An Introductory Guide to Bipolar Disorder

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Prozac

An Introductory Guide to Bipolar Disorder

Postby Prozac » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:18 pm

I decided to write this so my clan mates and other visitors to the forums could learn a little something about the illness that has had such a great impact on my life. I hope you enjoy it and learn something along the way, too. (be sure not to miss the list of celebrities at the bottom who have bipolar like me. Some will really surprise you.)

An Introductory Guide To Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder is a psychiatric illness that affects the chemicals in the brain. For many many years it was called Manic Depression because these are the two phases the brain would go through: mania and depression. But for marketing reasons, they changed the name of it to Bipolar Disorder, because it sounds a little less crazy.

Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million American adults, or about 2.6 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older. Chances are there is someone in your circle of family or friends that is affected by Bipolar Disorder. The disease responds fairly well to medications such as mood stabilizers, antidepressants and in some cases anti-anxiety medicine.

Following is a brief description of the various states that the unbalanced bipolar brain experiences:

Mania – (the manic in manic depression) Mania is fun, fun, fun! For a little while. A person is likely to experience overly fantastic moods and a strong sense of euphoria. They can feel godlike and invincible, but that usually leads to problems such as:

Abnormal or excessive elation. (people may think they are unable to die for example)

Unusual irritability. (when someone that is not normally cranky, becomes snappy)

Decreased need for sleep. (were talking staying up for 2 or 3 days at a time)

Grandiose notions. (they feel like Superman – they can do anything)

Increased talking. (rambling and chattering on and on)

Racing thoughts. (thoughts race so fast that you cannot process them)

Increased sexual desire. (what can I say – me so horny)

Markedly increased energy. (taking on all sorts of projects, feeling the need to go go go)

Poor judgment. (this can manifest in things like, gambling, excess drinking, and buying sprees)

Inappropriate social behavior. (being to forward or flirty, making inappropriate comments)

Some of these are very fun to experience and many people with bipolar don’t want to take medication because of the high feeling you get – when you’re high that is. But when you crash – oh man you crash lower than the gates of hell themselves. Enter depression.

Depression – (the depressed phase of manic depression) Depression is no fun at all. It’s the worst sort of feeling you could ever imagine feeling. Remember it’s chemical so if you don’t have bipolar disorder you can’t imagine what it feels like when someone puts a tap on your brain and drains it dry of all its serotonin. Serotonin is one of the most important chemicals we need in our brains to function properly. People without it don’t usually want to live. Here are some of the symptoms in bipolar related to depression:

Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood. (people feel extremely sad and empty)

Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism. (you see nothing good in the future)

Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness. (people feel like this because they can’t contribute)

Loss of interest in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyable, including sex. (don’t enjoy the things you normally do)

Decreased energy, fatigue; feeling “slowed down.” (many times bed ridden)

Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions. (you just can’t think straight)

Trouble sleeping, early morning awakening, or oversleeping. (sleep sleep sleep – the great escape)

Changes in appetite and/or weight. (will not eat at all or very little)

Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts. (this is what kills 20% of people with bipolar)

Restlessness or irritability.

Persistent physical symptoms, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain that do not respond to routine treatment. (I think because of the decrease in healthy activity these diseases develop)

Treatment: most people with bipolar disorder respond very well when placed on the right medications and some can even become fully functioning members of society. But that’s not always the case. Here are the main medication classes for treating bipolar:

Mood Stabilizers: the old stand by here is Lithium. It has been used to treat bipolar since the 1950’s when it was discovered.

Antidepressants: here you have meds like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor etc. A person will need these to keep them from bottoming out, when the depressed phase does kick in.

Anti-anxiety: this includes meds like Xanax, Klonipin, Ativan and Valium. A lot of people with bipolar also have an underlying anxiety condition as well. That’s when these are used.

Just for your entertainment, following is a list of public figures or celebrities that have bipolar disorder. Most are very open to talk about it. Some will probably surprise you.

Charlie Pride – country music singer
Carrie Fisher – Princess Leia – Star Wars
Vincent Van Gogh – artist
Robert Downey Jr. – Iron Man
Buzz Aldrin – a stronaut
Larry Flynt – Hustler magazine
Peter Gabriel – musician “Your Eyes”
Axl Rose – singer Guns and Roses
Margot Kidder – original Lois Lane actress
John Daly – golf
Ilie Nastase – tennis
Jimmy Piersail – baseball player, Boston Red Sox, sports announcer
Dick Cavett – entertainer
Jane Pauley – tv broadcaster
Sting – musician
DMX – rapper
Patty Duke – actress
Ben Stiller – actor
Linda Hamilton – (actress) Terminator
Jean-Claude Van Damme – actor
There are many more than I could list here, but, interesting huh?

I hope this has been a helpful guide to understanding Bipolar Disorder better. Hopefully now you can understand Ti-Prozac a little more than before, but I know I’m still gonna catch hell from everyone. LOL

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Re: An Introductory Guide to Bipolar Disorder

Postby Nytefyre » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 pm

nyce info pro....good for people with no/little info...

2 bad i have closer to if not actual dystimia (not sure uf you spell it that way....said dis-sty-me-a)...basically a constant low to midgrade depression, with receintly (well, the last 2 years anyways) severe drops to the rock-bottom lows....

if there is a cycle for me since im always below the 'average' feeling, im currently at the 'i dont care about not caring' stage.....

fun, fun stuff

}DL{ clan, Depressive Losers....LOL
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Yeh sorry about what your going through Nyte. Hang in there, at least you have DL depressed loser company here.!!! :D

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:50 am

I was feeling good till I read this post now I am depressed now I feel the need hang myself with my own penis.
I think everyone has some of those symptoms Pro but you have to deal with that
everyday then it has to be rough.
When I get up every morning and after watching the news it is hard to go to
work in a good mood and dealing with morons in Atlanta traffic that talk on cell phones and weave in and out of traffic without using turn signals and listen what those idiots in Washington are going fuck up our lives and our children and great grand childerns
future by spending us into a black hole all in the name of change.
After that and after a frontal lobotmy I feel fine . A lot of depression has to with the times and added to your illness it bacomes tougher.
Hang in there .

fucking crazy bastards
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Buffy

Postby Buffy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Looks like we are all one big disfunctional family. :lol: I'll still keep you guys and call you my friends. :shock:

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Buffy wrote:Looks like we are all one big disfunctional family. :lol: I'll still keep you guys and call you my friends. :shock:

Of course in my case, you knew Buffy was going to keep me! 8)

Return to “thoughts... more or less”