More hardware problems....

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

More hardware problems....

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:54 am

A follow up for those who are aware of my power supply problem. (Pork, sid and nyte)

I did mention once that sometimes a fan goes funky by humming and giving off a vibration. This problem only happens when I encounter power issues. But not every time. I never did figure out which fan it was though. This is because after turning the PC off and rebooting, it solved the fan problem. And it didn't quite sound like bad bearings. However today is not the case. Six Shut Down's later I decided to open her up. (Keep in mind that everytime I shut down, the power supply crapped out after trying to turn it on again. This hasn't happened in a long time. I followed the steps as I described earlier to you guys on getting power back) After opening the case and booting for the seventh time, I tried to find the problem. After tapping each fan to check for a cut in the vibration, I found out it was the fan on my graphics card. (Go figure..) This may not be the cause of my power problems, but I decided to take the card out for a look. VERY VERY dusty it was lol. Everything looked fine. By lightly spinning it with my finger, I didn't notice any hitches durring the fan's rotation. But I did notice something rather odd. A little tilt of the fan showed me the actual chip. It seems that the engraved label had been melted off. Though I doubt it does any harm. After doing all this, the PC booted up on the first try without any power problems. The fan sounds better, but not completely healthy. Sigh... The hitches (vibrations) come in waves with equal pauses inbetween. I guess I could best describe it as vvvvmmmmm......vmmmmmm......vmmmmm......

You can see where the white label on the chip melted off and became a hard elastic like material. I 'Shopped the pict to make it really bright so you can see it.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:33 pm

if you're keeping the card take a can of compressed air to it and your whole system. It really sounds like a replacement fanwould do the trick if that doesn't work though. Just get a cheap one that fits your specific gpu. I've done a few and I think doc may have actually replaced one on the same gpu you have. Oh, and don't forget some thermal paste.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:00 pm

nonstop wrote:Oh, and don't forget some thermal paste.

Don't eat paste, this is NOT kindergarten...

All this talk about power supplies... I've been doing my best not to think about the 'surprise' I have waiting at home...

The day after I got here we had a storm take out the lovely Mrs. Law's APC UPS, along with another surge protector which was connected to the TV computer...

A side effect I didn't find out about until Monday is that my desktop machine won't switch on anymore.

I may not have a system to go home to

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:03 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
nonstop wrote:Oh, and don't forget some thermal paste.

Don't eat paste, this is NOT kindergarten...

All this talk about power supplies... I've been doing my best not to think about the 'surprise' I have waiting at home...

The day after I got here we had a storm take out the lovely Mrs. Law's APC UPS, along with another surge protector which was connected to the TV computer...

A side effect I didn't find out about until Monday is that my desktop machine won't switch on anymore.

I may not have a system to go home to

Dude your flack cannon???!! :shock:

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:20 am

What type of video card is it Clown?
*Beer -&- UT*

Return to “game hardware”