I don't think I'll buy Vista

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:44 pm

MS doesnt make much from OS sales... Office is their bread and butter.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:37 pm

pewterdragn wrote:MS doesnt make much from OS sales... Office is their bread and butter.

Oh, well that's different then... It's ok if people steal it, 'cause they're not stealing 'much' :oops:

no, that doesn't sound right... how about...

Oh, well that's different then... They should rase the price of the OS to be $499.99 (amazon, pre markdown to 399.99) a copy so they can profit as much per sale as they do office. :shock:

no, that's not right either... how about...

That just means they'd want to work that much harder to prevent losses. :wink:

Yea, that's the ticket. Or not...

I'm just pickin at ya Dragn. In the end, I don't know that Vista will be worth the bits it's made from. I do think there's a lot of unnecessary hype being generated about licensing, and 'this feature' or 'that feature' ... In the end people will do as they've always done...embrace what they like, and find work-arounds for the things they don't.

I am interested in Vista, because it's the first major release since billy decided that security is important. I *wish* MS could roll in anti-malware at the kernel level, because they *know* where, and more importantly *when* to scan... But Symantec, McAffee, Trend, etc. would never ever let that happen without a court battle....so that's not gonna happen

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:41 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
pewterdragn wrote:MS doesnt make much from OS sales... Office is their bread and butter.

Oh, well that's different then... It's ok if people steal it, 'cause they're not stealing 'much' :oops:

no, that doesn't sound right... how about...

Oh, well that's different then... They should rase the price of the OS to be $499.99 (amazon, pre markdown to 399.99) a copy so they can profit as much per sale as they do office. :shock:

no, that's not right either... how about...

That just means they'd want to work that much harder to prevent losses. :wink:

Yea, that's the ticket. Or not...

I'm just pickin at ya Dragn. In the end, I don't know that Vista will be worth the bits it's made from. I do think there's a lot of unnecessary hype being generated about licensing, and 'this feature' or 'that feature' ... In the end people will do as they've always done...embrace what they like, and find work-arounds for the things they don't.

I am interested in Vista, because it's the first major release since billy decided that security is important. I *wish* MS could roll in anti-malware at the kernel level, because they *know* where, and more importantly *when* to scan... But Symantec, McAffee, Trend, etc. would never ever let that happen without a court battle....so that's not gonna happen

No no, I agree with you. They can try and protect their margins for sure. I was pointing out that the OS is just keeping control of the platform for the other things like Office that really make the money.

Kernel level protection isnt going to make Windows better though. They still have to revamp program execution and delivery... problem is they cant do that stuff and keep compatibility.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:48 pm

pewterdragn wrote:Kernel level protection isnt going to make Windows better though.

I agree, but it can make it 10-25% faster (depending on what 3'rd party AV suite you're using, and how much it bogs things down) There's lots of room to improve efficiency of 'auto-protect' mode if you can push your tests further down. You don't have to check every time a file is opened, you only need to check every time it's altered...and you're the OS, you know when that happens, because you're the one doing it :-)

Return to “thoughts... more or less”