NVidia
55%
ATI
45%

Total votes: 40

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Wed May 24, 2006 12:27 pm

i loved the hardware of the 9700 pro. however, when it came to updating drivers it felt like i was in driver hell. it was never a simple process. to be honest, it was a royal pain in the ass. it was always easier to reinstall winblows and use the out-of-the-box drivers. as out of date as they were they worked flawlessly.

back in the day when i had a gforce2 updating drivers for that was a piece of cake. so when my 9700 pro took a big fat crap on me last november i told myself(and a few others) i would never get another ATI GPU again. we'll see if that ever happens.

maybe i just had some bad luck or maybe they just a dumbass of a programmer(s) writing their drivers for them.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed May 24, 2006 1:21 pm

Sid, just like everything, you always take it to extremes:

Ace: "Lets cross the river"
Sid: "Okay" (as he builds a ramp, buckles his seatbelt, and lines up to jump the river in his car)
Ace: "You know Sid, you could just drive across the bridge over there..."

Have and still have the 9700 Pro, never had a problem, know for a fact I'm not running the current drivers, but I remember THEIR instructions for installing them (uninstalling, snap fingers 3 times, mow the grass)....F-that....all I do now is just install over the old ones, never had a problem and it runs fine.

Sid having problems, doesn't really suprise me though...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed May 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Ace wrote:Sid, just like everything, you always take it to extremes:

Ace: "Lets cross the river"
Sid: "Okay" (as he builds a ramp, buckles his seatbelt, and lines up to jump the river in his car)
Ace: "You know Sid, you could just drive across the bridge over there..."

Have and still have the 9700 Pro, never had a problem, know for a fact I'm not running the current drivers, but I remember THEIR instructions for installing them (uninstalling, snap fingers 3 times, mow the grass)....F-that....all I do now is just install over the old ones, never had a problem and it runs fine.

Sid having problems, doesn't really suprise me though...

Ace forgot to mention that he's running everything in 640x800 in monochrome. :lol:

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Wed May 24, 2006 2:08 pm

I love the nvidia cards. They have all ways lasted long on me and have never taken a crap or caused me any problems. Hell at one of my PCs at home, I bought the GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB as soon as it came out, for 300 bucks, slapped it in a PC and still does fine for what my sister is using it for (Sims games.) I swap out my 6600GT and put a 7600GT in and never had a problem. I dont know much about computers like most of the people here do, but I love em.
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed May 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Even at 640x480 there isn't one of you guys I can't kill. When that changes, I'll upgrade. In the meantime, I'll be retired by the time I get to Nonstop's age because I don't upgrade every 6 months.

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Wed May 24, 2006 2:15 pm

holy shit...640x480 would kill my eyes...ouchies :(
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Wed May 24, 2006 2:28 pm

Soulja wrote:holy shit...640x480 would kill my eyes...ouchies :(

I play elder scrolls IV: oblivion at 640x480. With a 19" flat CRT, you cant even tell. Honestly it looks bigger than it is. Yay for the LAME POS GeForce FX series graphics cards! "Biggest disapointment" the Nvidia company called it. Even with 256 MB, oblivion's requirements blow Doom III away. The game itself wont even open on any higher resolutions. Part of it is that oblivion has poor driver support on top of FX's poorly produced drivers that cant handle 2.0 Shader Models.

Wiki on FX. I didnt find a single sentence that had anything good to say about the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_FX
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Wed May 24, 2006 4:47 pm

If you are running Windows, and using the nVidia and ATI drivers, you should stop right now. http://www.omegadrivers.net . They work better than anything either of those companies puts out. Jerk doesn't do anything for linux though =(

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Wed May 24, 2006 4:52 pm

LMFAO ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed May 24, 2006 6:24 pm

Ace wrote:Even at 640x480 there isn't one of you guys I can't kill. When that changes, I'll upgrade. In the meantime, I'll be retired by the time I get to Nonstop's age because I don't upgrade every 6 months.

If your able to move your fingers still at my age I will give you props. :wink:

Mr.Hyde

Postby Mr.Hyde » Sat May 27, 2006 2:54 pm

For people who are on a budget.. or are just too lazy to get a good video card, nVid is definitly the way to go. Thier low end cards smoke everything that ATI has in the same class, some even a few classes higher.

But ATI's higher stuff is damn impressive.

I'll stick with nVidea though.

Me and my shield gun are gonna pull a Michael Jackson with ya. ;)

Mr.Hyde

Postby Mr.Hyde » Sat May 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Yrrek wrote:If you are running Windows, and using the nVidia and ATI drivers, you should stop right now. http://www.omegadrivers.net . They work better than anything either of those companies puts out. Jerk doesn't do anything for linux though =(

On a side note...

You know, i'll be happy when more companies start supporting Linux like they rightfully should. That way I can go back to Redhat...

I'm so tired of rebooting ya know. :lol:

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sat May 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Mr.Hyde wrote:On a side note...

You know, i'll be happy when more companies start supporting Linux like they rightfully should. That way I can go back to Redhat...

I'm so tired of rebooting ya know. :lol:

*cough* fedora *cough* suse *cough*

:wink:
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Sat May 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Lol dragn, I was waiting for that. Fedora is nice, so is SUSE. Try Debian too.

Mr.Hyde

Postby Mr.Hyde » Sun May 28, 2006 5:37 pm

Fedora is good.

Return to “site polls”