Switching to the Dark Side

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Yeah still didn't boot up...Don't really know what to do, I posted on there, and hopefully someone is of help...
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:53 pm

I just RMAed the board...and ordered a new one...I'll get a refund on the defective one and this one should be here by tomorrow.
"Son look at all the people linin' up for plastic, wouldnt you like to see them in the national geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eatin' rice from a bowl, with a towel on their head and maybe a bone in their nose?"

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Soulja,

Here's what I would do to diagnose the problems.

Step 1...

Take everything out of the case...I've seen cases cause shorts on the bottom of the motherboard.

Step 2...

Test the PSU. If you have a fan you can plug into it directly great, otherwise, an old ATA hard drive will work. Disconnect the PSU from everything. You can make an ATX power supply turn on by jumpering across Pins #14 and #16 on the ATX connector. A paperclip works in a pinch... With the side with the 'nub' up ... connect the 4th pin on the top row with the 6th pin. The internal fan on the PSU should spin up.

Code: Select all

____/--\____
|000X0X0000|
|0000000000|

Repeat the procedure with whatever isolated device (fan or hd) you have to test with.

Step 3. Test power to Mainboard, no CPU, no RAM.

First, make sure your mainboard has a speaker for post reporting. If your new board has 'voice' reporting you may need to hook headphones to an audio jack...otherwise connect the pc speaker as directed in your motherboard manual. You want to do this test without the CPU or RAM installed so that you get a post error. If you don't get any beeps at this point, verify your speaker is working/ connected property ... if that don't work it's the motherboard.

Step 4. Assuming you got past 3. Now connect, your CPU (REMEMBER HEATSINK AND COMPOUND!!!!!) and RAM, and video card. You'll probably have to hang the edge of the board off your table a bit to get the card seated properly. Power up again, watch for video activity

Step 5. If you got video in step 4. reinstall the board into the case, and with just the components you've already tested, repeat step 4. Power up again...

Step 6. now add Floppy drive... make sure it's cabled correctly... Power up again, make sure drive light goes out after post.

Step 7. now add HD... make sure it's cabled correctly. Some SATA motherboards want you to use the old molex power, others do not. RTFM to find out how yours works. Power up to make sure drive spins, and LED goes out after post.

Step 8. now add the other devices one at a time until you run out.

Good luck!

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Keep us up-to-date im curious on how this turns out Soulja :D
Good luck brudda!

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for the help guys! The new board arrives tomorrow, and I'm going to go through the set up step by step with ASUS to make sure everything goes together correctly.

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:20 pm

Soulja wrote:Thanks for the help guys! The new board arrives tomorrow, and I'm going to go through the set up step by step with ASUS to make sure everything goes together correctly.

WELL?????????? what the status so far? inquiring minds
want to know!!!!! :wink: :D :wink:

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:40 pm

nuge wrote:
Soulja wrote:Thanks for the help guys! The new board arrives tomorrow, and I'm going to go through the set up step by step with ASUS to make sure everything goes together correctly.

WELL?????????? what the status so far? inquiring minds
want to know!!!!! :wink: :D :wink:

I'll bet he tried to install OS X on that one and blew it up too :twisted:

But then again, I enjoy being a harbinger of doom.

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:10 pm

ROFL!!!!

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:59 pm

It works now, windows is installing...should be up and running tonight...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:22 pm

hip hip.... hoorayyyy

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:29 pm

Yeah so my monitor keeps clicking on and off whenever i put it on resolutions above 800x600. It runs color depths fine. What the fuck is going on? this is the last thing i need...everythings fine lol but this...

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:08 pm

Soulja wrote:Yeah so my monitor keeps clicking on and off whenever i put it on resolutions above 800x600. It runs color depths fine. What the fuck is going on? this is the last thing i need...everythings fine lol but this...
Drivers for video card mabye?
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:27 pm

I have the most recent ones...

=A!M=NuGe

Postby =A!M=NuGe » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:11 am

card isnt dual monitor capable is it?

Soulja

Postby Soulja » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 am

yeah, it has two DVI ports...

Return to “thoughts... more or less”