anyone else have an XBOX360?

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

anyone else have an XBOX360?

Postby Houdini » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I know this post will draw some tough comments but I am curious if anyone else owns a console along with the computer. Having read another post on the subject I can see we are moving into a time where the online gaming standoff between the computer games and the upstart consoles is starting to shift toward consoles for money reasons I imagine. I will always play both especially when something new comes out on either side that makes big advance in game play and graphics. Well if there is anyone out there let me know.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Porkinator

Re: anyone else have an XBOX360?

Postby Porkinator » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Not at 16% failure rate.
Even if I where to ever get a console ( about as much chance of votimg for Hillray)
it would not be one of those until they get it fixed.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... rnics.html
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Pork you really are becoming predictable. Aside from the fact that the post is just asking people from this site if they have an Xbox I will respond to your statement. My Xbox broke; got red lighted and was dead. I bought the thing off the back of a truck with no receipt to begin with so I was screwed right? Microsoft sent me a prepaid envelope and in 2 1/2 weeks they sent me a brand new one with a new warranty on it. No calling people from India to ask questions on how I can fix it myself they just gave me a new one with an apology letter.

Also I admit I think the failure rate is obviously a huge problem that Microsoft had to deal with but Pork you said you would not buy one because of the failure rate and then you posted a link. One thing though man are you afraid of the other things listed with higher failure rates?

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:38 pm

ps3.... 8)

ratchet and clank kicks @ss
god of war eventually!
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:37 pm

dini,

play the demo of paradise burnout... :lol:

lots of fun.

ethanlima058

Postby ethanlima058 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 pm

One of my friend has an Xbox 360 and he said he got the red rings of death. But amazingly he said they went away after a day or two. Strange...

And the last time I went over my other friends house I watched him play his 360... the first time I'd seen one in action. And to be honest I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it was just the game [Madden '08 I believe], but it didn't look like much more than anything my computer couldn't pump out on its Geforce 7300 [granted the FPS would be ridiculously low]. Then again my graphics are a GPU, not an actual card. If someone were running a dedicated graphics card in their PC, I'm sure they could easily surpass the 360 in performance.

But don't get me wrong, I still love Xbox. I owned the original for 4 years :D

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:58 am

You can get the red rings for like 5 reasons and only 2 are hardware failures. Most of the time it is one of the connections that got loose. I had a friend yesterday call and say he had them and I had him make sure the plug that plugs into the power supply was all the way in and then it worked again. lima my computer can hold its own and I would say it is still a bit better than the console but to really tell you need to see the xbox played in 1080p HD. That is in 1920 x 1200 which is the same as my comp can do and it looks nice.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 pm

I was thinking about getting a console with my tax refund, but I wasn't sure which one to get. I found this handy guide to help me out in the process, but it kept taking me back to a PC :?

*Beer -&- UT*

Duffy

Postby Duffy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Well Houdi being in a retail environment I have to post to this we actually see more 360 Problems as a company than anything else Best Buy alone makes a fortune of the replacement plans for these because well they phail...alot. I did a look from just our store and over the last year we have sold roughly 425 360's of which 145 had replacement plans and of those 86 have been fullfilled in the last year. And whom knows about the others because if they come to our store with a problem and its not covered by our replacement plan then they the customer have to deal with microsoft. Just an insight and I do own all 3 major consoles and still opt to play the pc. :mrgreen:
Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity !

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 am

lol @ beer

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:14 am

Duffy wrote: opt to play the pc. :mrgreen:

Yeah I will get back on the PC eventually but even with all the tech issues the gameplay in COD 4 is just better and more fun on the Xbox than the pc and that is all there is to it. Plus I just downloaded Smash TV from the microsoft marketplace and me and a friend that use to feed quaters into that machine at the arcade beat it again for old times sake.

BIG MONEY, BIG PRISES, I LOVE IT!

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:19 am

Houdini wrote:
Duffy wrote: opt to play the pc. :mrgreen:

Yeah I will get back on the PC eventually but even with all the tech issues the gameplay in COD 4 is just better and more fun on the Xbox than the pc and that is all there is to it. Plus I just downloaded Smash TV from the microsoft marketplace and me and a friend that use to feed quaters into that machine at the arcade beat it again for old times sake.

BIG MONEY, BIG PRISES, I LOVE IT!

Maybe one of those prizes can be a spell checker.
We are on the PC and we miss you online.
Come home.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

ethanlima058

Postby ethanlima058 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Well aren't you lucky... you got enough money from your tax refund to buy stuff. Know how much I got? 2 dollars. It'll cost me more money in gas to go cash it then it would sitting on my desk at home. But then I could look on the brightside... it's twice as much as I got from that other refund... whatevertf that was. Ok I'm done ranting lol.

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:24 pm

If we are bitching about taxes, I win.

The past seven years, the State has roughly $3500 of my money it shouldn't. I found out by complete accident. While doing research on how to fight my property taxes because my home's assessed value keeps going up, yet real estate prices are in the toilet, I found out that I qualify for the Homestead Credit. This whole time I've been using TurboTax it never once flagged me as being able to qualify for it. This year's taxes went from me having to pay ~$100 in to the State to getting back ~$500 when using the damn credit. Big F*ing difference.

I'll be able to get some of that back, but I can only go back so far. Total pain in the ass though to refile past years. No matter what, the State got a nice chunk of change off me. F the State and F TurboTax for jacking me.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:10 pm

ethanlima058 wrote:Well aren't you lucky... you got enough money from your tax refund to buy stuff. Know how much I got? 2 dollars.

Actually... You've got it backwards. The fact that you have managed your tax return this close to a zero balance makes you much smarter (or luckier) than me.

The fact that I get a chunk of change back at the end of year just means that the IRS is hanging onto my money for me... due to the way that I claim (I get less on each paycheck as a result). Since they pay NO interest for holding onto this cash, I get no benefit from it. I would be better off banking that extra little bit of money into a crappy-interest savings account, rather then getting it in the form of a refund (at least I'd be making a little interest on it).
If you can manage your claiming within a couple dollars of a zero balance, you are in an ideal situation. You just need to discipline yourself to bank something into savings from each paycheck.

I'm actually going to change the way I claim for next year.
Last edited by BeerNut on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*Beer -&- UT*

Return to “thoughts... more or less”