UT 3 first impressions

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Deadly
Clan Leader

UT 3 first impressions

Postby Deadly » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Well, the same tweaks for the graphics posted for the demo helped a lot.

There are a more warfare than DM maps, which suggests the designers' priorities.

Most of the DM maps are small, spam maps. Shangri-la is about the biggest map available.

There is a very pretty version of Deck, the layout of which will be very familiar to all of us.

There is a version of DM-Hyperblaster, and a couple or 3 other maps similar or almost identical to the original maps shipped with 2k4 with updated graphics and dampened movement possibilities, of course.

The UI is the same as in the demo. It feels clunky and overly simplified to me.

Game play is identical to the demo.

I am hoping to be able to double bind weapons keys. Anyone know how?

And, finally, I'll be playing 2k4 as long as I can find populated TDM and TAM servers.
Deadly

nonstop

Re: UT 3 first impressions

Postby nonstop » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 am

Deadly wrote:Well, the same tweaks for the graphics posted for the demo helped a lot.

There are a more warfare than DM maps, which suggests the designers' priorities.

Most of the DM maps are small, spam maps. Shangri-la is about the biggest map available.

There is a very pretty version of Deck, the layout of which will be very familiar to all of us.

There is a version of DM-Hyperblaster, and a couple or 3 other maps similar or almost identical to the original maps shipped with 2k4 with updated graphics and dampened movement possibilities, of course.

The UI is the same as in the demo. It feels clunky and overly simplified to me.

Game play is identical to the demo.

I am hoping to be able to double bind weapons keys. Anyone know how?

And, finally, I'll be playing 2k4 as long as I can find populated TDM and TAM servers.

Thanks deadly.

And, finally, I'll be playing 2k4 as long as I can find populated TDM and TAM servers.[/color]

I guess I better install ut2k4 again, it's been off my hard drive for a few months.

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:56 am

Nice to know, I guess I can hold off purchasing until a patch or two appears.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:59 am

Interesting that they chose to include any of the old maps at all.

They have to know that with the new movement limitatins, those maps are only going to irritate a lot of people.

Take Deck for example. Deadly, can you still wall-jump to get the Amp? Seems like that'd not be possible anymore

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:42 am

I agree with Deadly that the User Interface was not changed and according to Epic's forums they are working on that now. It should have been fixed before the game was shipped. I am going to do the tweaks and dive into all the maps and different games
probably in instant action and see what is there.
There is just too much good stuff in there to leave it alone and I am to explore
the different vehicles and other weapons and have a good time with it.
There are people now working on mods where you cahnge adjust the graphics in game and also adding wall dodging .
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Deadly wrote:I am hoping to be able to double bind weapons keys. Anyone know how?

Should still be the piped bind function like:

PipedSwitchWeapon 8 | PipedSwitchWeapon 5

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:22 pm

law.of.averages wrote:Take Deck for example. Deadly, can you still wall-jump to get the Amp? Seems like that'd not be possible anymore

I tried and couldn't manage to do so. someone more nimble may be able to. There is a respawn point that lets one jump down to get the amp, though.
Deadly

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Ok I applied the tweaks and play a couple levels of the single person game and I think it is pretty fun and very playable. I would recommend getting the game and apply the tweaks and hop in and play. I think you will miss a lot of the fun waiting for the first patch.
I am going to see the online games are next.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Houdini wrote:
Deadly wrote:I am hoping to be able to double bind weapons keys. Anyone know how?

I've used piped switching in 2K4, but I can't find any config file in UT 3 that has a similar key bind line to those in 2K4. If there is such a file, do you know where it is exactly? :)
Deadly

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Porkinator wrote:Ok I applied the tweaks and play a couple levels of the single person game and I think it is pretty fun and very playable. I would recommend getting the game and apply the tweaks and hop in and play. I think you will miss a lot of the fun waiting for the first patch.
I am going to see the online games are next.

I agree, the game is fun, and it is playable.

It is, however, different than 2k4 in some significant ways, all of which are not improvements, IMHO.
Deadly

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:58 pm

I mean bringing back maps like Deck AGAIN won't be too irritating. Deck16 was in 99...couldn't wall dodge then, don't see the issue. I honestly couldn't deal with the user interface at all. Console is right. You would've thought they'd just bring back the UWindows setup from back in the day. Simple, smooth, and it worked. In the demo I felt like there was only one way through to access anything at any point and backing out meant losing something.

I wasn't impressed with the 2 DM maps cus of the whole bland...dark dusty theme...Looks nice, but honestly I want some action, not pondering why an Adept bot is blending into the damn brick wall. I'll still wait unless a friend picks up a copy that I can run through somewhere else.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Deadly wrote:
Houdini wrote:

I've used piped switching in 2K4, but I can't find any config file in UT 3 that has a similar key bind line to those in 2K4. If there is such a file, do you know where it is exactly? :)

found this is a forum from someone who seemed to know wha they were talking about on other topics:

there's no true piped weaponswitching in the game. You can bind multiple weapons to one keypress, but you always and only get the weapon set to highest priority - so you can't use that keybind to switch back and forth between the different weapons, as in previous UT games.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:20 am

Houdini wrote:

found this is a forum from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about on other topics:

there's no true piped weaponswitching in the game. You can bind multiple weapons to one keypress, but you always and only get the weapon set to highest priority - so you can't use that keybind to switch back and forth between the different weapons, as in previous UT games.
I thought that something like that might be the case. Maybe they'll change that with a patch. In the meantime, I'll just make do. :salmon:
Deadly

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:52 am

Deadly wrote:
Houdini wrote:

found this is a forum from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about on other topics:

I thought that something like that might be the case. Maybe they'll change that with a patch. In the meantime, I'll just make do. :salmon:

Can you still create an alias? If so you might be able to simulate piped switching by remapping the key on the fly

I forget the exact syntax for it but something like

alias20=("switchweapon lightningGun|set input 4 shocker", "zapper")
alias21=("switchweapon shockRifle|set input 4 zapper", "shocker")

then just prime it once with a console command
set input 4 shocker

law.of.averages

In for a penny, in for a pound

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Went to or local Best Buy today... navigated down the narrow isles, to the middle, and picked up my copy of UT 3 from the bottom shelf.

Something tells me this game isn't going to sell well.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”