Did EPIC talk too much?

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

Did EPIC talk too much?

Postby Houdini » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:02 am

I am scratching my head a bit this morning thinking about how I heard UT3 or UT2007 stuff all year long about the graphics and gameplay and then the demo comes out and it is pretty much smoked by 2 other games. I waited all year for it and now I am almost uniterested. Nice EPIC wanted to thank them for all the build up. I hope they make some changes on release.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Rom

Re: Did EPIC talk too much?

Postby Rom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:15 pm

Ya i agree whit you bud,cuz if i stay the way i am face to this game i wont buy it at all.
The Deadly Frenchies

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:17 pm

I played the demo of those other two games and while the game play was great and so was the graphics I doubt I will spend the next couple of years wandering around the forest and sneaking through the grass.
I played COD 2 and really enjoyed the single player but never tried it online.
I don't see either of these two games being as fast actioned as UT3 and having the weapons it does . Conventional weapons get old for me after a while for me .
I still think UT3 will have a longer playability game life than either Cyrsis ot UT4
I might be wrong but I will know in a week or so.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

darklight

Postby darklight » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Rom wrote:Ya i agree whit you bud,cuz if i stay the way i am face to this game i wont buy it at all.

same here
amd 64 x2 4800+
asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe MB
ocz platinum 1gb x 2 pc3200
WD 80gb HD
sapphire x1900xtx
OCZ game X stream 700w

Duffy

Postby Duffy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Yeah I havent been impressed with the Demo but it is just that a Demo. Will be more interesting once the full game comes out to see what that is like.
Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity !

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:56 am

Duffy wrote:Yeah I havent been impressed with the Demo but it is just that a Demo. Will be more interesting once the full game comes out to see what that is like.

more than that it's a BETA demo. Meaning they're looking for the feedback that makes it all good

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Agreed, Law. Demo's should make you want to buy the game... thats why they exist. But this is a beta. I'll wait for the real demo, but I do not want to shell out the cash on the full game if the demo sucks.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Rom

Postby Rom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Well say Pewter 8) 8) 8) 8)
The Deadly Frenchies

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

I liked the demo.
Not sure why you guys didn't.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:12 pm

This may be a sign of the apocolypse but I somewhat agree with pork. :shock:

First off, the demo didn't ship with the high rez graphics as they are just trying to get a baseline of feedback so we shall see there.

Also I have to say upon first playing the demo I was out completely as the hazy look and motion blur really felt like it was Gears of War, which unfortunately this game mostly is, with UT's name slapped on it. I have seen so many players when they first logged on a server say " I thought I downloaded GoW accidentally". :p

However after tweaking it and getting the sharper/crisper look out of the game and adjusting to the feel I have had a lot of fun with it. Of course I loved quake 3 and played it as much as the original ut so you have to add that in when you hear my stupid opinion because this game to me feels like the unholy spawn of quake 3/ut99/GoW with a pinch of Quake 4. I didn't care for q4 multiplayer but it still has some of the feel in there.

The Crysis demo by far beats this big pos demo by a long shot and you know what, crysis didn't face cross platform development hinderances like this game so it's a pc game through and through. UT3 is being developed for the console with some pc afterthought clearly by the ui which is a console ui if I have ever seen one. Just today the ut3 faq on the epic games forums had this added:
Q: I am unhappy with the UI.
A: We're aware that the UI isn't perfect. We're working on numerous improvements and additions to the user interface that will be made available in future updates to UT3.
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584654

This scares me a bit because the ut2k4 demo had a lot of issues with the ui, esp. with the game browser, and it was all fixed by launch, however the gameplay in the demo was pretty damn good. So is this really a "beta" demo when it doesn't sound like things will be fixed that obviously suck before launch?

So I started off saying I kind of agree with pork, which I still do because the online play of ut3 will keep it around longer than the other games coming out right now, however, once again another great pc game franchise is flushed down the toilet of potential due to cross platform development. I saw the same thing with Oblivion, (the ai was dumbed down so consoles could handle it and it has a big clunky console interface), Age of Empires III, (big console interface over the main game with less strategic and tactical commands than AoE II and Age of Mythology from the same dev team released years earlier), and the list could go on and on.

Damnit Houdini, you made me rant! :mrgreen:

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:20 pm

I find this amusing listening to people complain about a beta demo.
People that turn their ut2004 settings all the way down to 600x800 and turn off all the special effects and then say the demo doesn't look good ?
If you were to take the graphics of COD 4 or Cyris and put it into a game with 10 people playing as fast as ut4 or 3 does than you would have lag city. Those games are probably good for a limited number of players online (no i haven't tried them online ) but if you were to put all the vehilces and weapons and effects on the screen at the same time as ut3 does then people with older machines could not play it. Epic has to balance this game with people that can't afford or too cheap to upgrade their hardware as well as some of us that will or have upgraded to the higher end hardware. They will proably pull it off and make the majority happy if not right off the bat then with a patch or two.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”