SUPERBOWL prediction thread: sound off!

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

BeerNut

SUPERBOWL prediction thread: sound off!

Postby BeerNut » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:35 am

Well, I wasn't going to do another Superbowl thread this year, but Rom and his LOVE of America Football practically BEGGED me to post this, so here it is...
This one's for you Frenchie!!!

At this risk of sounding like a bandwagon jumper, I've got to go with the Colts in this one. I figure if nothing else, Manning will probably WILL his team to victory.

Indy Colts: 24 - 17
*Beer -&- UT*

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:11 am

i've been predicting the bears to lose the last 2 weeks. so wth do i know? either way, #8(who's name will remain undisclosed) for chicago will go down in history as the worst QB to play in the superbowl. can he put together 3 straight good games?
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:34 am

No way Chicago's QB (I won't say his name because it seems like Sid doesn't want it said) is worse then Raven's QB of Trent Dilfer! He goes down as the worst ever in my book.

Defense wins The Game (don't want to get sued by the NFL), Da Bears win.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:06 pm

I predecit the line at the Drivers License office will be very short that day

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:28 pm

IF the bears play the same defense they have all season, and i expect them to, peyton manning knows exactly what he's going to see. for two reasons.

1. he's the smartest player in the nfl and he's going to be prepared.
2.. the colts run a defense very similar to that of the bears.

imo if they can keep urlacher off the offensive line manning will be able to choose which reciever he wants to throw too or allow addai(preferrably) or rhodes to run the ball.

defensively, if they make GROSSMAN(suck it ace) win the game...bears lose. pressure him, blitz him, make him throw off his back foot they'll turn the ball over 2-3 times, maybe more. in order to do they must shut down the bears running game, jones and benson.

colts will either win big, or the bears will win by a slim margin, that's sids pick.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:51 pm

I think the biggest X-factor will be how well the Colt's defense plays...

They have been quite good over the last 3 games, but pretty mediocre up until that point. If they are able to lock down Rex and eliminate Chicago's running game, then the Colt's offense should pretty well control the play

Although I could see Indy running away with it, I hope that it will be a good, tight game that goes undecided into the fourth quarter.
*Beer -&- UT*

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:02 pm

Every time a high powered offense comes into the game, they almost always leave with their ass handed to them. I'm going with history.

Look at every game the Colts lost or were close in this year, it's always been to a team that plays very physical. Had New England not been 17 million under that cap and given Brady a single big name receiver this year, the Colts would have been done last week. The Colts D is nothing special. Manning is a great QB, but he does his share of choking too.

The biggest question mark is at the Bears corners. If they have a halfway decent game, Manning will be under much more pressure then Grossman. If the corners play like sh*t, then Manning will pick them apart. Colts D isn't going to keep anybody out of the end zone (even Grossman for as bad as he is) and with their special teams I expect the Bears to be starting at or near the 50 very time.

On paper, the Colts should win easy. Ask St. Louis how they did against New England. Ask the Raiders how they did against Tampa. I say defense wins. Bears gave up 255 points all year, Colts gave up 360! Look at points scored....they both scored 427*!

*of course the Bears did play the Lions twice which only pads stats*

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:50 pm

I predict the highest score will win !!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Naix

Postby Naix » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Colts 28
Bears 21
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:31 pm

Porkinator wrote:I predict the highest score will win !!

If we are predicting sure things...

I'm predicting I'll be watching the Lingerie Bowl at halftime!

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Ace wrote:
I'm predicting I'll be watching the Lingerie Bowl at halftime!

Is that still a pay-per-view deal?
*Beer -&- UT*

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:49 pm

you can look at season stats all you want ace. but we both know you can go 0-7 the first half, then win out and make the playoffs at 9-7. unlikely, OMG hell yes. but it is numerically possible.

so lets look at what defenses have done RECENTLY. starting with the bears, they didn't play nearly as well the second half. got their asses handed to them against the packers. albiet that was brett favre(yay he's gonna play again in '07!). didn't play well against a mediocre seahawks team. and it wasn't until the drew brees threw the ball away and got an intentional grounding penaltly that the bears defense played well against the saints.

looking at the colts, which i will admit that i don't as much about but have watched all of their playoff games. but in nearly all the regular season games the colts defense gave up over 200 yards rushing in every game. in the playoffs, they've held their oppenents to less than 100 rushing yards in every game. to me, that sounds like bad news for the bears.

special teams could be the intangible for the chicago. on the other hand, vinatierri could be for the colts.

fact is ace, you are right. we're just playing this game on paper.

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:39 pm

it hinges on this....

which grossman shows up? the crap-tastic one? then its a blowout for the colts...

the MVP one? then its a real game....and in that case, the bears have a chance kuz imo their D is real this year...

im not a follower of either team, and i respect certain players on each side....my interest is in how grossman handles the pressure of a game of this magnitude
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:34 am

I think the biggest X-factor here will be the officials. I think they've been a little one-sided lately (someone's gotta slam them). ;)

Colts FTW!
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:15 pm

colts 37

bears 17

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Return to “thoughts... more or less”