computer build off

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Houdini wrote:Just a small update to post here to see what your thoughts are. I am thinking now I am going to get the E6600 prcoessor and overclock the heck out of it on a 680I motherboard. This way the price drops $700 from what I was looking at and when multithreaded games are the thing I will go to the quad core. Looks to me that the difference performance vs price between the E6700 and the E6600 does not justify the E6700. Any thoughts on this?

now your finally talking sense.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 pm

nonstop wrote:
Houdini wrote:Just a small update to post here to see what your thoughts are. I am thinking now I am going to get the E6600 prcoessor and overclock the heck out of it on a 680I motherboard. This way the price drops $700 from what I was looking at and when multithreaded games are the thing I will go to the quad core. Looks to me that the difference performance vs price between the E6700 and the E6600 does not justify the E6700. Any thoughts on this?

OMG !
I actually agree with Nonstop on something.
Guess I have entered dementa earlier than I thought I would.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm

nonstop wrote:

Well I decided to educate myself on what I was doing by buying a good computer building book and I also got all the computer magazines for the last few months. After reading about the trends with both the harware and the upcoming software things started looking a bit different to me. So I am looking at hitting the sweet spot with regards to price and performance of the CPU and I will still proably drop some coin on the GPU.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 pm

everything i am looking at has major issues so now the 8800GTX cards have one. There is a ton of people across the web that have gotten cards that made a crazy buzz. in fact I have seen on newegg someone blamming the buzz on the new ASUS Cammando board and he had the card. So look at this crap:

Figured it out.

At least for mine anyway, but I suspect it was the same for yours also, Bradbond..

First, I need to point out that this is different from the 680i mobo and X-FI sound issue that's being worked on between EVGA and Nvidia, and it's not the little sound buzzer at the end of the card (I'd originally suspected this, but it's not the case...)

Taking it somewhat apart was the key. I took the shroud cover off, as well as the fan and there are 4 little IC's behind it. I gave it a shot in the dark and applied a little pressure to each one while it was making the buzzing/arcing sound while running 3DMark06.

Turns out, the top one (as the card is installed) responded as I'd hoped, the sound lessened. On the other three, pressure made no difference. So, I applied alot more pressure (about as much as it would take to push a thumbtack into a piece of particle board) and the sound completly stopped. For reference, the part is stamped with "BL-121-0642". Here's a pic of the offending piece.

I think at this point, I'll do the same and RMA the board before the problem gets worse since these kinds of these always seem to get worse :)

Maybe it was just a bad couple of cards, but maybe it was part of a bigger batch? I got the card thru Newegg.. I dont name them to point a finger, since it wasnt their fault. Just trying to find some commonalities

--Mike

EVGA nForce™ 680i SLI MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTX GFX
2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 RAM
4x Seagate 250gb Barracuda 7200 SATA2
Plextor PX-716AL/SW IDE DVD Burner
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w PS
24" HP LP2465 Widescreen FP Monitor

Looks like I am getting an ati :)

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 am

I think rom could tell you, don't get a new board! Esp. if it's from nvidia and evga :roll:

Rom rma'd his 7900gtx like 3x and it still had an issue so he had to downclock the card to get it stable.

The key to new tech is wait for rev 2. : )

Rom

Postby Rom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:18 am

Non is right on this one buy a 7950gt only 10% slower than my 7900gtx the card is not expensive and when the time have come, do the up grade to 8800gtx and have fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Deadly Frenchies

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:24 pm

I agree, although I am going to give the r600 ati a look c.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Houdini wrote:I agree, although I am going to give the r600 ati a look c.

Well... you were warned. :wink:

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:04 am

My EGA 7600 has no problems at all

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:38 am

law.of.averages wrote:My EGA 7600 has no problems at all

1. True but a 7600 was introduced after the top of the lines had been out and bugs reduced on the 7800gtx/7800gt. Once your down into the lower numbers of 7x00/6x00/8x00 you're usually in good hands because those are just lower clocked models of their flagships that are introduced at first.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:54 am

Glad I waited to get anything. Looks like there is going to be a wave of new "vista ready" products. Check out the ASUS vista mobos:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards/news/2007/01/27/Asus-Preps-Vista-SideShow-Ready-Mobos/p1

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:20 am

Well I finally ordered my stuff today from New Egg and performance PC's sites. I will post some pics of the build if anyone is interested. I am going to build it stock and test stability and for issues and then tear it down and hook up the water cooling. So this is what I finally picked out:

ASUS P5B deluxe wi fi-AP p965
Intel E6600
Kingston DDR2 1066 PC 8500 (I know non I was going to get Corsair Ballistix but I thought I would give them a shot)
Raptor X 150 GB 10,000 rpm sata
Caviar 500 GB
8800 GTX watercooled overclocked edition.
700W Seasonic modular PSU- custom UV green arcylic cover and UV green fan.
Lian Li PC-G70 Aluminum Super Tower - Watercooled Edition
The case came with some cool customized options like a display mount that places the raptor drive in the window to get a good look at the window on the drive. I cant wait to see if that is going to be to loud I have heard many reviews saying that.

If when I hook the thing up I do fry all the components I will also post pics of that so Sid can laugh at me. :oops:

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:37 am

you'll be good houdi. you're just putting up a lot of money with potential risk(conductive fluid or not). the nice thing will be with all the heat you'll be generating you won't have to worry about fans(of any size). your box will essentially be silent.

that box is gonna run like a raped ape man. enjoy it!
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:40 am

but if you do spring a leak and your components do get fried......

yes i will be laughing my ass off :P
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:02 am

Sideous Prime wrote:but if you do spring a leak and your components do get fried......

hahah j/k. More like rock on brotha! GLHF!

"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Return to “game hardware”