Uh oh

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Avaris

Uh oh

Postby Avaris » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Yesterday while playing Dark Crusade (new Warhammer RTS expansion, and it's really good), my computer started giving off weird clicking noises (that's inside the case). The performance had a tremendous slowdown, and it's been like that since. Everything has started performing like it's on a Pentium 2... Where it normally takes Windows 30 seconds to load, it's taken up to 2 minutes. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:39 pm

Clicking usually means your hard drive is failing.
Backup now and use Windows to check your hard drive for errors.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:05 pm

Yep, it's probably hard disk failure. Good luck!

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:14 pm

Bump... and bump on the warhammer game. It's a good one. I played the original, not the expansion that you have there but same mechanics/engine.

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:09 pm

or may be a bad fan on the graphics card...we've had some machines in the labs that make clicking noises...figure its the hardrive and it's been the fan on the graphics card a couple of times... :( :(
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:19 pm

Is a system-wide slowdown also a problem with the hard drive?

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Could be but it could also be a fan not working and your video overheating like rom said. I have had that before too.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:00 pm

A clicking hardrive is normally unreadable... The fact that your machine can still operate would suggest something else.

I would guess that it is a fan... probably the one on your CPU. Newer CPU's (especially Intels) will detect higher temperatures and automatically lower the clock speed to prevent overheating. Take a look at the fan on your power supply as well. If it is not being cooled properly, many units reduce output.

I would guess that it is probably not the fan on your vid card, simply because a hot video card usually will only take a dump when it is stressed. If basic features like booting up are slowed (which doesn't push the GPU), then it is most likely something else.

Only way to know for sure is to crack'er open and have a look inside.
*Beer -&- UT*

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Well, I dusted everything out yesterday, including the CPU, which hasn't been cleaned in at least 3 years. Took all the dust out, reconnected everything, and it seems to be fine. However, once I boot it up, all goes to hell. Plus, my mouse icon will sometimes just freeze, but you'll be able to click on other stuff (you just can't see exactly where). This is becoming really annoying...

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:17 pm

What O/S are you using Av?

A temporary fix to the invisible mouse problem, is to go into the mouse properties and enable pointer trails.
I've encountered this before, and it turned out to be my display driver... I rolled back a version, and all was well.
*Beer -&- UT*

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Aha, ok. Currently using Windows XP verions 2002 Service Pack 2. I'll go and try cleaning out the CPU again (as I didn't remove the heatsink, and probably a lot of dust would've gotten in there. Dust has killed at least 3 power supplies here). Thanks for the help, guys.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Your #1 priority should be as Pork has said... get your data backed up if you don't already have backups, make em now... right now....

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Alright. As I found out not too long ago, that was my hard drive indicating it's nearing it's end. Unfortunately for me, that particular hard drive has windows and all the crucial stuff put onto (mind you, this computer's gone through a number of changes, but the software itself has always stayed the same). I suppose I have to do a back up at this point.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:52 am

Avaris wrote:Alright. As I found out not too long ago, that was my hard drive indicating it's nearing it's end. Unfortunately for me, that particular hard drive has windows and all the crucial stuff put onto (mind you, this computer's gone through a number of changes, but the software itself has always stayed the same). I suppose I have to do a back up at this point.

Why don't people just listen to 'the law.' Life would be easier. ;)

law.of.averages wrote:Your #1 priority should be as Pork has said... get your data backed up if you don't already have backups, make em now... right now....

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:57 pm

Just be grateful it isn't a 7900 video card.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “game hardware”