Evga 7900gtx

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

BeerNut

Re: Evga 7900gtx

Postby BeerNut » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:27 am

nonstop wrote:Expectations and graphics change but pay homage to your fps past beer! :wink:

Well, the FPS past isn't the problem: I REALLY liked Quake and Quake 2... Both games were great fun, and I played them for hours on end.
[-And a special shoutout to the original Blood. That game often went overlooked, but was single-player shooter crack.]

Quake 3 was OK, but UT99 was released about the same time and was just better in every aspect. I was hooked on the UT series from that point forward.

I was REALLY jacked when Quake 4 was announced... I was hoping for that return to power-guns and the whole immersive experience; sadly, it ended up being Quake3: updated with better graphics. :(
I know that Id/Raven was scared to release a game that would get the same backlash that UT2k* received from the hardcore UT99'ers... but they ended up with a game that sees less online players than Quake 2, much less Quake 3.
*Beer -&- UT*

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:10 am

BeerNut wrote:
nonstop wrote:Expectations and graphics change but pay homage to your fps past beer! :wink:

Well, the FPS past isn't the problem: I REALLY liked Quake and Quake 2... Both games were great fun, and I played them for hours on end.
[-And a special shoutout to the original Blood. That game often went overlooked, but was single-player shooter crack.]

Quake 3 was OK, but UT99 was released about the same time and was just better in every aspect. I was hooked on the UT series from that point forward.

I was REALLY jacked when Quake 4 was announced... I was hoping for that return to power-guns and the whole immersive experience; sadly, it ended up being Quake3: updated with better graphics. :(
I know that Id/Raven was scared to release a game that would get the same backlash that UT2k* received from the hardcore UT99'ers... but they ended up with a game that sees less online players than Quake 2, much less Quake 3.

Quake 3 < UT99? :shock: Bullstien! Q3 is still believed by many to be the most pure online fps to date. Booo beer booo!

Rom

Postby Rom » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:11 am

The most pure fps on line will be me whit a right video card non :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
The Deadly Frenchies

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:14 pm

nonstop wrote:Quake 3 < UT99? :shock: Bullstien! Q3 is still believed by many to be the most pure online fps to date. Booo beer booo!

Well... now we're entering the flawed world of personal opinion. I find this world tends to be wrong when the opinion conflicts with mine... it's crazy. :D

Not that it is gospel on any level, but most of the major gaming sites (which were MUCH better at the time), rated UT99 slightly better than Quake 3. Gamespot, gamecenter, etc... pretty much universally gave the edge to UT by a few points.
Quake 3 was pretty much guaranteed popularity by the presence and fan base that it had established with Q1 & Q2. Having played both for a while, I found UT99 to be more fun.
*Beer -&- UT*

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:58 pm

BeerNut wrote:
nonstop wrote:Quake 3 < UT99? :shock: Bullstien! Q3 is still believed by many to be the most pure online fps to date. Booo beer booo!

Well... now we're entering the flawed world of personal opinion. I find this world tends to be wrong when the opinion conflicts with mine... it's crazy. :D

Not that it is gospel on any level, but most of the major gaming sites (which were MUCH better at the time), rated UT99 slightly better than Quake 3. Gamespot, gamecenter, etc... pretty much universally gave the edge to UT by a few points.
Quake 3 was pretty much guaranteed popularity by the presence and fan base that it had established with Q1 & Q2. Having played both for a while, I found UT99 to be more fun.

Beer you are such a LIAR!!! Everybody knows UT wasn't any fun at all until I picked up a copy of UT2003 at Sams Club, painted that big mother-humping target on my simulated robotic backside, and became everyone's favorite multi-kill. :lol: :wink:

I AM the LAW

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 pm

BeerNut wrote:

Well... now we're entering the flawed world of personal opinion.

Totally agree.

Not that it is gospel on any level, but most of the major gaming sites (which were MUCH better at the time)

Mostly agree here too. There used to be some great ones. :( I actually did some game reviews for some of them.

rated UT99 slightly better than Quake 3. Gamespot, gamecenter, etc... pretty much universally gave the edge to UT by a few points.

I remember those exact articles and remember Quake 3 winning out in a few of the categories but ut99 getting the edge.

Having played both for a while, I found UT99 to be more fun.

Ok different measurement. I edge out Quake 3 and give it to ut99 for the fun factor. If nothing else based on the alternate fire for every weap, the amount of weapons and the over the top game play. It was a nice change from the more scaled back, less spammy Quake 3.

Having said all that though, at lan parties we would still boot up and play Quake 3 after some good UT time and have a complete blast with ctf and deathmatch challenges and 1on1.

The World Competitive League of online gamers just brought back Quake 3 as an option because there are still tons of people playing it that wanted it back. UT2k4 dropped off the charts a year and a half ago and it was released 5 yrs later than Quake 3. That says something about all the 'opinions' from that time as well.

I could go on and on about ut2k4's superiority over Q3 and UT99. Today, if I boot them both up, my hat still tips majorly to Q3. I tried booting up ut99 a while back and it just didn't measure up to my overly romanticised thoughts about it. I booted Q3 up and it still felt fun.

But, to restate your former excellent pov... it's the murkey waters of personal opinion. I say we have it out on the ut2k4 vs. of the Quake 3 map Campgrounds Beer! :lol: 8)

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:24 am

BeerNut wrote:Well... now we're entering the flawed world of personal opinion. I find this world tends to be wrong when the opinion conflicts with mine... it's crazy. :D

That right there ... is great! :)
... WTF ...

Return to “game hardware”