AM2, what went wrong?

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

AM2, what went wrong?

Postby nonstop » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:45 am

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?o ... iew&id=798

Basically incremental upgrade isn't worth it in most peoples eyes especially with Intels performance busting conroe as the new best option for performance.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:30 am

I agreee on the fact there there is very little advantage in going to the AM2 socket vs the 939 . It will hae the advantage in that you can use the same socket for the next year or so with AMD where Intel keeps changing their damn chipsets every 5 minutes so you have no idea if the mobo you get today for your new cpu will support future Intel chips.
AMD was the top dog for many a year and Intel now is the champ in preformance. However AMD CPUS still blow the socks of everything that is not Conroe and AMD has dropped the prices as much as 49%. This is not going to mean much us as we will always strive for the best performance we can afford but for the general user a AMD 3500 CPU will give a lot better performance than a Pentium 3.4 and the cost is less than a 100.00 and run a lot cooler.
A AMD officer put it quite well the just because Intel doesn't suck now means that AMD does.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:47 am

Porkinator wrote:I agreee on the fact there there is very little advantage in going to the AM2 socket vs the 939 . It will hae the advantage in that you can use the same socket for the next year or so with AMD where Intel keeps changing their damn chipsets every 5 minutes so you have no idea if the mobo you get today for your new cpu will support future Intel chips.
AMD was the top dog for many a year and Intel now is the champ in preformance. However AMD CPUS still blow the socks of everything that is not Conroe and AMD has dropped the prices as much as 49%. This is not going to mean much us as we will always strive for the best performance we can afford but for the general user a AMD 3500 CPU will give a lot better performance than a Pentium 3.4 and the cost is less than a 100.00 and run a lot cooler.
A AMD officer put it quite well the just because Intel doesn't suck now means that AMD does.

AMD is still a good choice in a lot of setups I agree. The only thing they seem to be sucking is Intels dust. :lol:

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:16 am

nonstop wrote:
Porkinator wrote:I agreee on the fact there there is very little advantage in going to the AM2 socket vs the 939 . It will hae the advantage in that you can use the same socket for the next year or so with AMD where Intel keeps changing their damn chipsets every 5 minutes so you have no idea if the mobo you get today for your new cpu will support future Intel chips.

AMD is still a good choice in a lot of setups I agree. The only thing they seem to be sucking is Intels dust. :lol:

Well Intel been sucking their dust for the last 2 years so I guess it is AMDs' turn till they come out with the 4x4 and the beginning of next year.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:08 pm

Porkinator wrote:
nonstop wrote:

Well Intel been sucking their dust for the last 2 years so I guess it is AMDs' turn till they come out with the 4x4 and the beginning of next year.

That's so yesterday. :lol: Both AMD leading and the 4x4. Intel comes out with 8 cores soon. :shock:

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:11 pm

And here's Law just starting to peek around at new motherboards

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:43 am

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:50 am

Yup, they pretty much have to introduce 4x4 now to save some tail whippings.

From Tomshardware:

"If we have to guess as to when AMD will finally release 4x4, we would say that it will rather be sooner than later. As we've seen, Core 2 Quadro represents a significant step ahead, which AMD cannot counter until its 65 nm quad core processors will be available in H2/2007. AMD needs 4x4 now."

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/ ... age15.html

Return to “game hardware”