Computer Building 101

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Naix wrote:
Another thing to take in consideration is that Windows Vista will be out early next year so if you are going to want to run that you need to see what specs it requires.

Ok, can you explain this a little to me? Are you saying that vista wont run on some older computers, or ones that arent very "up to date"?

I plan on getting a decent system, so should i worry about this? when do they release the specs usually?

Naix at this time lets wait and see. There are no directx 10 cards out right now that will run vista's directx 10 api. All that means is you can't run the latest additions to direct x in some of the shader technologies and graphics eye candy and most of it isn't very detectable in a fps like ut.

Think of it this way... Anyone using the geforce 4 when it came out was good to go with any game that was made with the latest directx 8.1 api from microsoft. When developers started working with directx 9 and putting games out with directx 9 features you could still use your geforce 3 or 4 but you couldn't see the latest and greatest unless you upgraded to the 5000 series. which btw for the most part were crap. That's when ATI dominated with their 9700 and 9800 series for a while.

Anyway, you could still run the next games out but you just didn't see everything in all of it's glory which most of it was hardly detectable when they put it in play anyway.

Having said that anything you get now will be fine for vista but vista which will incorporate directx 10 but vista is a whole other discussion. I'm staying away from it for a long time as the beta version runs the same game slower than xp does by a good distance on some games. They have lots of optimizing to do. I don't think vista will be that important unless you're jonesing for Halo 3 which will be vista only.

So to sum up... directx 10 cards aren't available yet, current directx 9 cards will run ut2007, (your main concern).

ATI has a new gpu being introduced this fall but more than likely it will be in the 600.00 range when it's introduced and then they will make the lesser iterations in the following weeks/months.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:43 pm

So, would my ancient GeForce 4 be able to run it, you think (UT2007, I mean)?

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:40 pm

Honestly, it all comes down to cost. I think most of us can give you different suggestions. It all comes down to the more money you are willing to invest, then the better machine you will get and the longer it will last before needing another upgrade (if you get the right parts).

Pork said it best when he said "Save as much as you can and when you are ready post again for feedback."

Once we know how much you are looking to spend, we can give you suggestions of allocating the money (so much CPU, vid card, RAM, etc, etc, etc) that will give you the best bang from your buck!
... WTF ...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:08 pm

Avaris wrote:So, would my ancient GeForce 4 be able to run it, you think (UT2007, I mean)?

Av I'm thinking it's going to be tough. :cry: Will it? Maybe but to the point where you can play it? Not so sure.

Naix

Postby Naix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:02 pm

nonstop wrote:
Naix wrote:
Another thing to take in consideration is that Windows Vista will be out early next year so if you are going to want to run that you need to see what specs it requires.

Ok, can you explain this a little to me? Are you saying that vista wont run on some older computers, or ones that arent very "up to date"?

I plan on getting a decent system, so should i worry about this? when do they release the specs usually?

Naix at this time lets wait and see. There are no directx 10 cards out right now that will run vista's directx 10 api. All that means is you can't run the latest additions to direct x in some of the shader technologies and graphics eye candy and most of it isn't very detectable in a fps like ut.

Think of it this way... Anyone using the geforce 4 when it came out was good to go with any game that was made with the latest directx 8.1 api from microsoft. When developers started working with directx 9 and putting games out with directx 9 features you could still use your geforce 3 or 4 but you couldn't see the latest and greatest unless you upgraded to the 5000 series. which btw for the most part were crap. That's when ATI dominated with their 9700 and 9800 series for a while.

Anyway, you could still run the next games out but you just didn't see everything in all of it's glory which most of it was hardly detectable when they put it in play anyway.

Having said that anything you get now will be fine for vista but vista which will incorporate directx 10 but vista is a whole other discussion. I'm staying away from it for a long time as the beta version runs the same game slower than xp does by a good distance on some games. They have lots of optimizing to do. I don't think vista will be that important unless you're jonesing for Halo 3 which will be vista only.

So to sum up... directx 10 cards aren't available yet, current directx 9 cards will run ut2007, (your main concern).

ATI has a new gpu being introduced this fall but more than likely it will be in the 600.00 range when it's introduced and then they will make the lesser iterations in the following weeks/months.

Ahhh, gotcha.

I'll let you know exactly how much im going to spend when the time draws near, but i still want to get an idea of whats good/not so good :)
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:14 pm

That's what I thought :-/
Unfortunately, my family and I are poor, so there's not much to really do. Hopefully my dad and I will be able to scrounge up some cash for an improvement (for the most part, the gfx card and possibly processor). Besides, only time will tell as to what the minimum specs for the game will be. Hopefully not as high as you'd expect them to be :roll:

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Avaris wrote:That's what I thought :-/
Unfortunately, my family and I are poor, so there's not much to really do. Hopefully my dad and I will be able to scrounge up some cash for an improvement (for the most part, the gfx card and possibly processor). Besides, only time will tell as to what the minimum specs for the game will be. Hopefully not as high as you'd expect them to be :roll:

Been there av. No worries you got at least 6 mo before it's out. Start saving! :)

Naix

Postby Naix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Hey guys, i was looking at some AMD single core processors and found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103529

I dont multitask much, so i think a dual core one is overkill when there is a nice single one.

That one got a bunch of excellent reviews and people are saying that there is no reason to overclock it, because its fast enough.

Thoughts?

I know its sitting at $300 right now, but that should change near the end of the month, am i correct?
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Naix wrote:Hey guys, i was looking at some AMD single core processors and found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103529

I dont multitask much, so i think a dual core one is overkill when there is a nice single one.

That one got a bunch of excellent reviews and people are saying that there is no reason to overclock it, because its fast enough.

Thoughts?

I know its sitting at $300 right now, but that should change near the end of the month, am i correct?

That rocks man. Like pork said if the prices come down a lot it will be a great buy. Or you can just get a 3500 and overclock it to that cpu like I have done! 8) (don't worry we won't do that yet). :wink:

Naix

Postby Naix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:37 pm

Ok guys, question. I was looking at this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813127236

Its an ABIT KN9 SLI

As im looking through power supplies, most of them say

SLI support: no

does that mean those power supplies wont work with that mobo?

Getting confused :)

Naix

Postby Naix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Oh, and should i get a case with a power supply or buy one seperate?

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:55 pm

Some people overlook the case. Thinking they can go lite on spending and get a cheap one w/ power supply included. Trust me it takes one bad case and power supply for you to learn your lesson. I personally like the Coolmaster Wave or Thermaltake Tsunami Dream. Both are vent cases. The power supply depends on what you enpect to throw in the box. I wouldnt go lower than a 400.
... WTF ...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:28 pm

-Jeta- wrote:Some people overlook the case. Thinking they can go lite on spending and get a cheap one w/ power supply included. Trust me it takes one bad case and power supply for you to learn your lesson. I personally like the Coolmaster Wave or Thermaltake Tsunami Dream. Both are vent cases. The power supply depends on what you enpect to throw in the box. I wouldnt go lower than a 400.

Agreed! I have a silverstone tj05 and I'm very happy with it. I have had a couple bad ones and jeta's right, it sucks. Here is the tj05. Image

The tsunami dream is a great case but I sold mine after 2 months because video cards are getting so long and my card barely fit in that case. I had to basically set the end of the card up on a part of a hard drive so I sold it and got a longer one. When you are getting a case these days you really do have to look at the dimensions as vid cards are extra long now.

Rom if you are reading this what case did you get with your 7900gtx monster?

The psu should be bought separate naix as most good cases don't come with one so you can choose. Don't worry about sli unless you are planning to couple two nvidia cards together. Crossfire is ati's answer for coupling 2 cards together and in psu world it means the same thing.

The psu I chose for you at the beginning of this thread is a good one but there are many others like the ones that were recommended in this same thread by some others. Basically we will look at the best price/perf when you get ready. I'm glad your looking and asking though.

As far as that abit board I think it's a decent board. My last one was abit and I have had several others. The thing is with abit they always seem to have little issues that you have to chase down in my experience. I would much prefer an asus or msi or if you are really into overclocking a dfi.

Rom

Postby Rom » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:28 am

Ok non i have read you :lol: :lol:

My case is Thermaltake Armor Jr. there the link http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/C ... 000bws.asp

For the power supply i think we should buy a good compagny who are in the market for a long time. Antec,Enermax,and i think ocz are making good one. I have choose an Antec true power 2 550 watts.I think you should buy the biggest psu you can,so mutch person have issue whit ther computer and the never think about the supply.Its better to get more than not enough,i wont go under 500 watts whit today computer.

And for the video card if you go for Nvidia i sugest you to go whit evga.Everyone knows i have some issue whit my 7900gtx,but this compagny have give us a so good support and help i have never see that before for a compagny who sell hardware and there product are a life time waranty
The Deadly Frenchies

Rom

Postby Rom » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:45 am

And i have forget,i dont know if you gonna buy a intel or a amd.But if you choose intel everyone knows they are runing more hot than Amd in this case if you want a very good cooler go for the zalman 9500 i run very cold for an intel 40 idle and 52 to 54 on load http://www.zalmanusa.com/
The Deadly Frenchies

Return to “game hardware”