Call this my need to know...

Whatever Unreal topics you can dream up.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Ace

Call this my need to know...

Postby Ace » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:00 pm

I'm curious how many of you are running modified .ini files? If so, how long and for what things? I would really like every Ti member to chime in as well as any regulars that play on the server.

Gracias,

Ace

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Re: Call this my need to know...

Postby Nytefyre » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:15 am

everyone...

we all have different .ini-s, and we all have our own preferences...have any specifis that you would like to know about?? we all have changes that are user specific, and no 2 .ini-s will ever be the same unless its a direct copy....
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:23 am

ace, as much as i enjoy playing with all of the clan members and regulars who visit our servers, i don't think it's necessary for anyone to post their user.ini file or feel any obligation to name any changes they have made.

if there is something you are looking for from anyone specific, please send them a PM.

in all confidence of myself, dragn, and everyone else here who plays here regularly, nobody who wields the -Ti- tag, wields it unfairly.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 am

I'm most curious about the ones I think are questionable. Those would be the mouse sensitivity switching with each weapon switch. This change makes a player pretty godlike in that you can't get an edge on them in the distance game or close up. I was told the rolloff isn't allowed on the server so that doesn't seem to be an issue unless there is a way around it. I just had piped weapons explained to me and that doesn't seem like a big advantage. A zero weapon lag was mentioned and I don't care for that change as I view it as a big game play advantage.

Here is how I am trying to view these ini changes. Is it a change for personal preference, or is it a change to give yourself a game play advantage? If the answer is game play then I question whether it should be allowed or not... like the rolloff which isn't allowed but this sensitivity thing which is... that confuses me.

My ini consists of only things I'm able to change in the GUI. I used to have a couple of lines in there that would automatically demorec each map and take screenshots of the score at the end but I removed the demorec because it made the game crash too much. I'm not sure if the screenshot thing is still in there or not but I think I removed both at the same time.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:55 am

You have te option to switch sensititvity on the fly with the moderm mice like the g5 and g9 and the new g500 but if you try it is reals disruprts your flow in how you move in the game.
If you practice hard enough you can over come it. When you practice hard enough you develope something called SKILL. It depends on your level of dedication on how much of this you want to obtain. Plaple that play this game every once in a while and happen on to our server the would be disemboweled immediately and constantly and would swear there is something wrong. All the ini alterrations don't mean crap unless you practice your ass off to learn how to use them.
I tried a few ini tweaks where I can my mouse x and y default to a lower value and yes I had better hitscan but was was owned by people that got behind me or beside me.
My pervous clan we had a clan leader by the name of Godsmack or Suffer and I talked
to him many a time at his ability to just pwn everyone at 1v1. He used a very low mouse sens and in order to compensate he had to make very long and large sweeps with his mouse across the desktop in order to turn rapidly to counter close combart.
He usually got over this by SKILL he was able to beat his opponent to the weapons health and power ups by know what the time spawns and where they were and kept his opponent down by denying him weapons and health. It took him years and hours and hours of practice to get this where he could win tornaments and win money.
There are some people out there no matter what tweaks you give them and no matter how much they practice they will never reach a top notch level because there are things we all don't have such as quick reflexes natural ability and brains to plan and outsmart your opponet.
There are other factors such as ping whether or not you share your internet connection with your neighbors and the effects of drugs, alcohol and your general attitude when you sit down to play . My personal opinion if you don' want to put in the time to get better with or without ini tweaks just play the game and don't get upset when someone that has the desire to play better and works at it and has a better SKILL LEVEL THAN YOU continues to own the field.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:35 am

I know about switching sensitivity for an entire game or even just between rounds. I am referring to the ini changes that allow you to change sensitivity with the switching of weapons. No entering the GUI, no using your mouse settings, but switching to lg and having it automatically switch to 0.25 then going to the flak and have it instantaneously be 1.0. I view this as a huge gameplay advantage where there is no weakness. Typically you would have to trade off hitscan accuracy for the ability to spin around. Is there some Achilles' heal that I'm missing?

Something else with this particular ini tweak... if you don't know and trust the person using it how do you differentiate between it being an ini setting and radar/aimbot? Not so long ago if someone could hit scan you from across the map but then whip around quickly if you happened to get behind them you knew something wasn't right. You would suspect them, spec them, do the demorecs, and often ban. How many people have been banned from Ti servers for perhaps using these ini modifications that some are now using themselves? Also, what happens if someone with a Ti tag goes to another server and is suspected of cheating because of the modded ini? How does that reflect on the clan tag?

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:38 am

Trinity wrote:I'm most curious about the ones I think are questionable. Those would be the mouse sensitivity switching with each weapon switch. This change makes a player pretty godlike in that you can't get an edge on them in the distance game or close up.

we're going to disagree on this, but this players skill level has little to do with his user.ini edits. if you learn and exploit his weaknesses you can and will kill him. example, there is almost no chance i have at killing him at medium or long range. i have but the percentage isn't in my favor. the best chance i have is getting up close and taking him out of his game. bouncing off the walls like he does and forcing him out of his perimeter game, the perimeter is his strength. then i have about a 40% - 50% chance of getting the kill. you really have to elevate your game but it can be done.

there is no .ini edit that can help him in that situation. it's strategy, skill, weapon selection, and movement, movement, movement.

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:50 am

Sideous Prime wrote:ace, as much as i enjoy playing with all of the clan members and regulars who visit our servers, i don't think it's necessary for anyone to post their user.ini file or feel any obligation to name any changes they have made.

if there is something you are looking for from anyone specific, please send them a PM.

in all confidence of myself, dragn, and everyone else here who plays here regularly, nobody who wields the -Ti- tag, wields it unfairly.

I'm with Sid on this one. Frankly I think it's all bs (see my post in the ini thread for further instructions). I will say this, Ace and Trinity you are both fantastic players. I don't edit my ini at all but I am able to kill Sid, Nyte, Pork, Duffy, Sug, Wasted, etc. etc. (and even Trin and Ace I might add) but I have to work very hard to do so.

No matter what tweak you do to your ini, you still have to practice a lot to make it effective. Sid told me personally that it took him years of tweaking to get his the way he liked it, and when he did, he got owned for a very long time before he got used to his own tweaks - and yet he is still vulnerable and killable if you play him just right - that is, to his weaknesses -----------> it's the same for any player, from the best to the worst level of skill. (hopefully Sid will be ok with me using him as an example to make my point)

I would imagine that I would hate to have each of my weapons change my sensitivity, that would mess with my mind in a bad way. I really don't feel the need to do it, but if others do, I don't see it as advantage. They're the ones that have to learn how to play like that, and the one person I know that DOES do it, readily admits that he has trouble in up close battles.

At any rate, it takes a ton of practice and very smart tactics to beat any very skilled player, but guess what: it took those same players using smart tactics and and a ton of practice to beat me! ..... regardless of their ini settings.
Last edited by Prozac on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:51 am

Sideous Prime wrote:
Trinity wrote:I'm most curious about the ones I think are questionable. Those would be the mouse sensitivity switching with each weapon switch. This change makes a player pretty godlike in that you can't get an edge on them in the distance game or close up.

we're going to disagree on this, but this players skill level has little to do with his user.ini edits. if you learn and exploit his weaknesses you can and will kill him. example, there is almost no chance i have at killing him at medium or long range. i have but the percentage isn't in my favor. the best chance i have is getting up close and taking him out of his game. bouncing off the walls like he does and forcing him out of his perimeter game, the perimeter is his strength. then i have about a 40% - 50% chance of getting the kill. you really have to elevate your game but it can be done.

there is no .ini edit that can help him in that situation. it's strategy, skill, weapon selection, and movement, movement, movement.

Quoted for Truth! Sid u took the words right of my mouth! +1,000,000

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:06 am

I fully realize that every .ini file is going to be different, that isn't my question. My question is specifically wanting to know who has modified their .ini files outside of what is possible in the game GUI and what have they done.

I think that is a very legitimate question. It's safe to say by my tone, the only changes I've made to my game have come via what's possible in the GUI. No pipeswitching, no magic sounds, no whatever else is out there. I honestly want to know if every game I'm playing now, I'm playing against somebody who has a definitive advantage. Ultimately, going back to the TWL days, I'll be very disappointed if anybody on my team was playing with .ini files that gave them an advantage, but that is either here nor there.

Anybody not willing to come out and answer my question, I feel like they really are answering my question. That's totally cool. I'm not the moral police. I don't want to debate anybody one the subject of what I think is legal and what isn't, but why the fear to tell me? Is it guilt, knowing that it's a little shady? Is it fear of losing some advantage by admitting it?

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 am

Sounds more like you really want to know if ini editing is cheating. I'd be glad to PM you my ini file. Not because I don't want to post it here, but because it's going to be a long boring text file.

Balls in your court.

SugaFree
Location: The state where you'll never find a dance floor empty

Postby SugaFree » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:01 am

This is simply hilarious. Here is my "hacked" User.ini file with modifications from my original favorite website, http://madhookup.com/main/ut2k4.shtml. There's even a UT99 with similar ini tweaks on the same website that apparently were left in for UT2004. Amazing!

Code: Select all

0=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.31 | switchweapon 0
1=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 1
2=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 2
3=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 3
4=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.31 | switchweapon 4
5=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 5
6=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 6
7=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 7
8=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 10
9=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.31 | switchweapon 9
Backspace=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 0.40 | switchweapon 8

Wait! Why Backspace? Well, because I no longer have a back button when browsing websites, and backspace works well enough.
Why don't you have a back button anymore? Because I changed my MX1000's (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/428/783&hub=1&cl=us,en) mouse buttons to reflect the weapon numbers to my preference.
I suggest you go over that website I linked, and tighten up your game. It's only an advantage in your own mind because your own choices are to play Vanilla.

Either way, keep this up at will. I know this thread(s) were created attempting to falsely accuse me of cheating. Let's go over some fun facts, or "FF's" as I like to call them:
User.ini tweaks...
1. ...will not aim for me, shoot for me or dodge for me.
2. ...will not let me know where you are located in the map.
3. ...will not let me know your health.
4. ...will not let me know which weapon to use at a given time.
5. ...will not help me get another job.
6. ...will not do anything for me.

Demorec me, present the alleged accusations, and I will gladly go over each and every thought, movement and decision. If not, then stop speaking in codes, and simply confront me directly; not indirectly. You're not scaring me, or pushing me into a corner. I will be more than glad to help you with both of your guys' game.
Pwning n00bs since '83.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:21 am

There is a weird line there for sure with me. I'm not calling anybody out, but I'm surprised how many people are doing it. I'll give this as an example, back in the LAN days I was in a tournament for Metal of Honor. Played the tournament, lost, no big deal. Come to find out later the guy who won, was running with so many graphics tweaks that instead of running around in a forest with leaves, his forest was like the dead of winter. Huge advantage. Did he break any rules, no. But seriously, come on. That might be a little extreme, but I feel there is a big difference from changing the game to bind some keys vs. changing what events are possible. Is it a flat out bot, no, but these changes really aren't about personal preferences either.

My stance is if you can't make the changes in the game, then you shouldn't be doing them. I'm obviously in the minority now when it comes to thinking like that. If everybody around here is 100% cool with doing whatever they want in .ini files, I want to know. If there are people around here who have never changed their game, I will always join their team and be willing to play with them (not to mention respect from me). People on the other side of the fence, not so much.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:29 am

i may be wrong about this, but wouldn't that have to be done in your ut2004.ini?

SugaFree
Location: The state where you'll never find a dance floor empty

Postby SugaFree » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:56 am

Now we're just splitting hairs.
I am not here for respect. All "in-game" settings modify your User.ini and UT2004.ini. They don't give you those extensive modification options so that Joe Average doesn't totally cluster-fuck his game.

I decided to use the in-game mouse sensitivity because A) My mouse doesn't have on-the-fly DPI (Dots Per Inch) adjustment, and B) a mouse that does have the adjustment makes me lose 2 (two) important buttons that could be used for other weapons.

I used to minimize all of my graphics settings when I had an older computer, simply to get a boost in my FPS. I don't believe you can gain any other advantage, but I'll gladly take comparison screen-shots for your viewing pleasure. Let's not compare apples to oranges, meaning totally different games.

People on the other side of the fence, not so much.

Is that a Mexican joke?

Also, in before the "two, count them, two buttons lost. Blah!"
Pwning n00bs since '83.

Return to “ut: open unreal forums”