So I installed ut3 again....

Whatever Unreal topics you can dream up.

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

So I installed ut3 again....

Postby nonstop » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:06 am

Ok so the new patch came out last week sometime and I finally considered reinstalling ut3. So I did yesterday and applied the patch the new patch that's supposed to fix a lot of menu and game problems. Yes I even did this after Cliff B. was quoted that he really didn't give a shit about the pc.

First experience, I go into the menu to browse for tdm servers and it freezes up about every 2 seconds as it searches allowing no mouse movement or anything. This goes on for about 15 seconds to reveal... tons of servers. Awesome.

Second experience, all of the servers, yes all of them, were empty. There may have been some up in the 2000 ping area but I didn't look that high.

Third - I go over to look at dm servers and I find 1 server with a ping under 300 with 6 people in it. I look at my watch again to confirm that it was actually 9pm cst when most online games have tons of players and yes, I did have the time right.

So I go into the 1 dm server which is filled with spamming nubs and had an ok time playing a remake of grendle and then go to a remake of campgrounds. After falling 3x trying to do jumps I normally do on camp and realizing "oh ya they took the double jump out for console nubs" I logged out.

I'm going to keep it on my hd for a while just in the small case that 3 or 4 more people appear online but that was an overwhelmingly pathetic experience.

Houdini

Re: So I installed ut3 again....

Postby Houdini » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Has Clown told UT it failed yet?

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:54 pm

Houdini wrote:Has Clown told UT it failed yet?

ut3 has red rings of death ?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Porkinator wrote:

No Pork those can be fixed. :roll:

Duffy

Postby Duffy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Houdini wrote:
Porkinator wrote:

No Pork those can be fixed. :roll:

not always without Microsoft though
Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity !

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 am

I appreciate your post Non. I haven't logged on to UT3 in maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Although I'm glad to hear about the remakes of familiar maps, it seems that there's no good reason for me to try the game again.

As far as the game being spammy, it's now designed for that. If you look at the original maps released with UT3, they are almost all spam maps, and the hit scan weapons like sniper are harder to use because of the cramped spaces. The bigger map, Deck, still plays best for me with flack and rockets.

Since the game designers wanted to lessen the learning curve for noobs, it's no wonder that they skewed the game play towards spam. It's the favorite mode for the new player because it's easier to start with than hit scan.
Deadly

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 am

well put

guess thats y im still getting all my killz with spam...

:mrgreen:
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:29 pm

I uninstalled.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

darklight

Postby darklight » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:28 pm

the unreal series is DEAD
amd 64 x2 4800+
asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe MB
ocz platinum 1gb x 2 pc3200
WD 80gb HD
sapphire x1900xtx
OCZ game X stream 700w

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 pm

darklight wrote:the unreal series is DEAD

For some.
There quite a few of us that still play everynight.

Sloth

Postby Sloth » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 pm

it's too bad because the game is actually ok. UT2k3 is still my favorite for sure.

by the way all those times that you would jump --> wall dodge --> double jump... you can still reach there by jump --> double jump --> wall dodge if you time it right (getting to the amp on Deck for example off the walls by the crates). Suprinsingly this is more difficult to do than in 2k4 in spite of everything else which was "dumbed down"

I still miss the boost dodge and fast weapon switch.

ayway.. it's not so much that hitscan is weakened, although it is more difficult for sure - just played a twl match last night (my first one in UT3) where i hit 10% sniper - but the spam is way overpowered. combine that with the slowed wep switch time you basically will just finish the fight with whatever wep you have until you run out of ammo.. not to mention epic took out wep throw which is a key strat in TDM (UTComp put it back in btw)

anyway i just stopped by to see what my friends over at Ti were up to with this game. Res is pretty stagnant - our A team isn't really playing so we have a team of scrubs on TWL (which we've had 2 matches in like 8 weeks). a few of us are trying to rally some activity but it's an uphill battle. Purg is empty. I've sat in it for 30 minutes without a single person joining during typical "peak" times. Old UT2k4 maps are starting to trickle in which is great... but nostalgically depressing. I haven't played 2k4 since I installed UT3... but thinking about it now

actually I had surgery on my thumb and have been on the IR for 6 weeks so I just started playing again... but thats another story...

so...how y'all doin!

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am

Sloth wrote:.... Purg is empty. I've sat in it for 30 minutes without a single person joining during typical "peak" times. Old UT2k4 maps are starting to trickle in which is great... but nostalgically depressing. I haven't played 2k4 since I installed UT3... but thinking about it now...

Sup Sloth!

I know that egg is probably going to kill me for this, but you guys may want to consider putting the Purg back on Ut2k4... That sucker was always full, and the last remaining 2k4 TDM server that I can find now with a decent ping (demo lol), is always full as well.

It's not that I am ready to totally give up on UT3, but it still just isn't a finished game... I plan on taking a look at it again if they release a thorough bonus pack and at least another patch or 2. For the love of god, you STILL can't preview player names from the server browser :|
*Beer -&- UT*

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:56 pm

All good things come to an end but dont be sad I know a place that has 18,000 populated servers to choose from. Come to the dark side!

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Houdini wrote:All good things come to an end but dont be sad I know a place that has 18,000 populated servers to choose from. Come to the dark side!

Well next thing Houdi will want us to do is to play naked in front of an X-box.
I am sure there are a lot of WOW servers too Houdi but I am not going on them or getting an x-box. Most of those COD4 servers are full of old counter strike people.

Sloth

Postby Sloth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 pm

you know i considered COD... just haven't gotten there yet.

Been having a little fun with single player games on PC... finished crysis and working on Assassin's Creed at the moment. COD or GOW probably next. In the meantime I will still play my one or two games in UT3 a night.

Return to “ut: open unreal forums”