My TAM rant :(

Whatever Unreal topics you can dream up.

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 am

TAM can get boring with the same people. :P If I am not playing on the Ti server, Im on TS with the XxxX clan playing on their TAM server. (Elite killas). They are a little vulgar sometimes, but it is a good server. Having a second community to talk to on TS makes a huge difference. They have a nice instagib and TDM server too. Modded zoom instagib is fun to whip out once in a while.

BeerNut wrote:
On another forum, a guy said that the best way to get good at TAM is to unbind your forward key. When everyone is doing this it translates to boring gameplay.

See my post here. Notice the what I said about my W key. Running away is fun in TAM. :)

http://www.tribalinstinct.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=854

BeerNut wrote:3. And finally… I CAN’T STAND being forced to just watch an online game. When I get fragged, I want to jump right back in and seek swift and brutal retribution… If I wanted to watch an online game get played, I’d download some unrealnorth demos and get a bag of chips. When I sit down to play, I actually WANT to play. All joking aside, I actually feel guilty fragging someone early in a TAM match with that lucky, total bullshit, full load of goo shot that everyone fires…. Knowing that I’ve just sentenced them to complete boredom for the next 5 minutes of their life

I disagree. Watching Sid (SideousBlameous species) get his ass kicked is great fun. We can all boo and hiss at him cause of his u|\||337|\|355. As for goo, that can get a little annoying. That tends to go away when you have more people. But also, TAM requires you to conserve ammo. You should have played TAM when it first came out. The ammo you got was double than it is now. There even some lame ass TAM servers now that give you MAX ammo on all guns. Playing UTCOMP warmup with the TAM mod suxors.

On a side note, I have been trying out the new TAM mod beta. AC/DC has it on their server. The interface is horrible. It no longer shows you team health, but does have a mini radar for each player. However team damage has been completely revamped. Now, both players take damage for FF. I think each player takes 20% damage per shot. Of course this is adjusted per server. I have also noticed a trend that more and more servers are removing FF all together with TAM. Noobism is a contageous disease.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:52 am

ClownMajik wrote:...I disagree. Watching Sid (SideousBlameous species) get his ass kicked is great fun. We can all boo and hiss at him cause of his u|\||337|\|355...

OK... ^^^^ So far this is the best argument that I've seen to play TAM.

I may have turned the corner on this gametype.
*Beer -&- UT*

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 pm

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

dXII][Pa

Postby dXII][Pa » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 pm

nonstop wrote:

For a diversion I used to enjoy the ut99 mod tac ops which was tactical, (duh) and round based.

:wave:

TOPS was a great mod! Me and some colleagues at work played that EVERY lunch break for 2 years time.

Yes, we were an odd gathering.

Anyway, TAM and TDM compliments eachother. However, TDM is not really a good game mode on pubs as it really requires teamwork to be enjoyable (a teamwork that you seldom get in a pub where people don't talk to eachother and joins and leaves whenever through the game) but TAM is often the most fun on pubs as you can get a decent amount of flow on pretty much any map with any people.

Where TDM needs mapcontrol and strategy to be fun, TAM simply relies on raw fraggin skills of you and your teammates, something that is more easily balanced on a pub compared to the strategy of TDM.

Being forced to spectate once you're dead is acctually quite good for TAM. People use the time to learn new tricks and such as well as getting into some friendly (well...mostly friendly) chatting with the other players.

So just look at TAM as a more social form of TDM where winning is not as important as making a really nice frag!

Oh, and CTF is still the king of game modes... :wink:

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:10 pm

TAM certainly isn't mandatory on Monday and/or Wednesday; It just happens to be what everyone plays lately. If you aren't in the TAM mood just hop in a spectator spot or something and ask if anyone wants to go play something else.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:47 pm

OK... Well after reading some posts here, I suspect that the problem is indeed the way that I am approaching the gametype... And going back to my original post: that I am just not "getting it".

I think that I am innately expecting things out of it that just aren't there, and my dissapointment is fueled by my own experiences with TDM built up over years of play.

Like some of you suggested, I'll just approach it as a social event to kick back, hit the fire button a few times, and then treat it like irc. No point in worrying about the experience or the results. Although this goes against the very fabric of my being, I'm pretty sure I can make an exception in THIS case. :P

Thanks all.
*Beer -&- UT*

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Oh one more thing. Don't like sitting and watching till you respawn? TAM should help you develop skills so you don't die. So when you start playing beer, just tell yourself DON'T DIE! Also having an ace up your sleave helps. And I dont mean Ace up your arm and licking your ear. My ace is a giant red button labeled ZOMFG PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!~ My special attack is the Betsy Barrel Roll. What is yours?
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:11 pm

Yeah... either you die in an onslaught of enemies at the beginning of the round or you're left running around dodging like mad with a shield gun...maybe that's just me :? .
Last edited by 1/2LuNaTiC on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 pm

Beer glad to hear you looking at it differently and Pa's comments were very good too.

If you can hop on teamspeak sometimes you would get a kick I think. I don't get to often with little kiddies but sometimes it's fun and the laughter and jokes are always good to hear in between doc's expletives. :shock:

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:38 pm

The reason I like TAM is because of the sole fact that I can't cope with getting powerups and map control. Sure, BS kills in TAM at the very beginning happen all the time, but its kind of the equivalent of getting fragged 5 times at your spawn :shock:

I guess I just like round-based matches...

Booch

Postby Booch » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:11 pm

Here's my monthly "get bored at work and check UT forums of my favorite server" post:

It takes me atleast a game or two, to get fully warmed up. After that, if I have to sit and wait.. my Attention Deficit Disorder kicks in and my hands get cold. Then I'm back to square one.

My worst enemy is the newb (not the insulting "noob", just a novice) that runs straight at me with a Link Gun.. I'll miss him every time. Thats sort of what I run into in TAM, someone creeping around the corner just waiting for my careless technique of dodge-jumping around every corner I see.

I spend enough time thinking about the shot on the golf course. No need for that in UT.

And the pink and baby-blue colors?? C'mon, lol.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 pm

Hehe... sup boochy :D

I know EXACTLY what you mean about missing the n00b... I can hit the guy with the twitch LG shot in the middle of a dodge-jump while I am dodging around a corner, but I'll miss the kamikaze running straight at me with link primay blazing 5 times in a row. :x

I can't explain it, but it makes me sad.
*Beer -&- UT*

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:34 am

*note to self, run at beer with link constantly.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:55 pm

BeerNut wrote:OK... Well after reading some posts here, I suspect that the problem is indeed the way that I am approaching the gametype... And going back to my original post: that I am just not "getting it".

I think that I am innately expecting things out of it that just aren't there, and my dissapointment is fueled by my own experiences with TDM built up over years of play.

Like some of you suggested, I'll just approach it as a social event to kick back, hit the fire button a few times, and then treat it like irc. No point in worrying about the experience or the results. Although this goes against the very fabric of my being, I'm pretty sure I can make an exception in THIS case. :P

Thanks all.

LoL I remember a thread from a long time ago trying to convince you to like TAM. Well can’t blame people for not giving up. Warning though I think the next step will have you tied to a chair with Clown threatening you with his spooge attack.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Cüßèli

Postby Cüßèli » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:59 pm

TAM > TDM in UT2004

I honestly woudn't miss TDM much even if it means playing TAM the same amount of time i dedicated to TDM over the years. Now this can change in UT2007.... But if TDM sux in '07, it will be a no brainer to go back to TAM. For the same reasons my old buddy PA mentions down below. <3Ti, Noni :D

HiyaPAhere wrote:Anyway, TAM and TDM compliments eachother. However, TDM is not really a good game mode on pubs as it really requires teamwork to be enjoyable (a teamwork that you seldom get in a pub where people don't talk to eachother and joins and leaves whenever through the game) but TAM is often the most fun on pubs as you can get a decent amount of flow on pretty much any map with any people.

Where TDM needs mapcontrol and strategy to be fun, TAM simply relies on raw fraggin skills of you and your teammates, something that is more easily balanced on a pub compared to the strategy of TDM.

Being forced to spectate once you're dead is acctually quite good for TAM. People use the time to learn new tricks and such as well as getting into some friendly (well...mostly friendly) chatting with the other players.

So just look at TAM as a more social form of TDM where winning is not as important as making a really nice frag!

Return to “ut: open unreal forums”