UT3 Beta Demo Released

Whatever Unreal topics you can dream up.

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Re: UT3 Beta Demo Released

Postby nonstop » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:36 pm

Nytefyre wrote:
pewterdragn wrote:I actually think the movement is horrible.

agreed...the walking/running seems to be faster at tymes...like when u move forward, u accelerate fast...ANY AND ALL DODGING in absolutely LAME...

i kno im on an older system, and im sure thats y, but i personally think the graphics were not all that impressive either...except for the bio...thats kool!!

i 2 am unimpressed...older komp, yes...not running it on direct-X 10, i kno...but it seems that they dumbed down the gameplay 2 much...and i definetly get the feel that it was originally intended for the konsoles, and that the PC people were added as an afterthought....deadly said it best on TS i think...i believe his exact words were 'its a different game at this point, not the UT we are used to'...

true...it is a demo...BUT, there needs to be some serious updates and changes made IMO...

UT2K4 > UT3

I have an 8800gts o/c on a quad core nyte and I'm telling you, the graphics aren't that impressive. Both tdm maps have kind of a smokey, hazy thing going on when you look more than 40 yards or so away from your charcter. I don't get it. It's like they took screenshots and brushed them up with extra color and contrast to show us everything we have seen so far. Interesting that up till now no game site was allowed to publish screenshots unless they were the "approved" ones that Epic sent to them. Gamespot did a recent play test of the game and they said that they were not allowed to put any new screens up except the same ones they have been given over the last year. Things that make you go hmmm....

I don't know why but the game, even on single player doesn't feel smooth yet for me. It almost feels laggy in single player and I have some things turned down graphicly (sp).

I also like the big walker in that dm map. At first I was like wtf are they doing but then I got to hop on one and in tdm mode it really is fun to see the other team scramble while this thing walks around and shreds with that super lazer. The sound effect is an exact ripoff of the war of the worlds tripod and so is the lazer cannon to some degree. Different but it's actually kind of fun.

I agree also that the first beta demo of ut04 needed quite a bit of work but I don't remember the movement being that aweful. I do remember the game browser was just aweful and the one that came out in the final game was much better.

On headshots, yes they are easier and there is a post in the ut forums with someone showing they are aiming a good 6" over someones head and getting headshots so the hit boxes for hs is a little oversized atm. Let me guess... to compensate for controllers. meh

I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best as I have really got tired of ut04 over the last few months and am ready for something new. For those of you who haven't tried it though if you want some fun times try out TF2 as it's over the top fun as well as something different to play around with.

Rom

Postby Rom » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Well i most say like non and beer,i dont feel the thigtness of the game anymore.And for the sniper ill pass my turn bring back the old lg.For the image no contrast and very hard to see opponent and all the sething is set to max.Still a lot of work to do on it in my imo.But thats a demo let give them chance and im sure they will set up the matter in the game when the game will be release
The Deadly Frenchies

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Wow, 3 years development on this? I honestly can't imagine how bad this game would look had they released it on time, f-me.

There's not a single thing in the game that makes me say "holy sh*t, that was cool" (which is the minimum that I expect). Everything has a kids cartoon look and feel to it, hello Quake 4.5. I half expect the game to come with a rainbow sticker book, a year subscription to Out Magazine, or a coupon for a the gay bar down the street. The look of and feel of the weapons makes me want to cry. My new prediction, 6 months after the official release, there will be more people on the 99UT servers then the UT3 servers. This game is dead before it even ships.

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:05 pm

it would have been kool to have the ripper back...that pwned...i do like the little vaccuum pocket that gets made after a kombo...watch close, its there...

cartoony doom2.5 graphics ftl....

lets hope EPIC reads the player reviews and makes some updates...

HOWEVER...

UT2K4 was patched all to hell and back...im assuming that same will happen here...still too early to tell though
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Uh...why should we have the same game? Just get used to the fact that's it's meant to be played differently. Personally, I love the fact that it's a new game, and there are new tricks, styles of play to be learned. Besides, having to use something other than the shock and lightning gun is refreshing, to be honest. The rockets, flak, biorifle and linkgun are really good now, and there seems to be more of a balance with the weapons (such as not being able to use the sniper rifle in close combat). I wasn't into it too much at first, but the more I started to play it, the more I realized it's everything "Unreal".

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Ace wrote:Wow, 3 years development on this? I honestly can't imagine how bad this game would look had they released it on time, f-me.

There's not a single thing in the game that makes me say "holy sh*t, that was cool" (which is the minimum that I expect). Everything has a kids cartoon look and feel to it, hello Quake 4.5. I half expect the game to come with a rainbow sticker book, a year subscription to Out Magazine, or a coupon for a the gay bar down the street. The look of and feel of the weapons makes me want to cry. My new prediction, 6 months after the official release, there will be more people on the 99UT servers then the UT3 servers. This game is dead before it even ships.

Does that mean you don't like it Ace ?
Personally I think it is prety cool and I like the weapons and the movements.
I think the skins need to be brighter and more color to the maps but other than that I like it.
Why people thaink this was going to a rehash of 2004 ?
It is a differnt game and some people are going to like it some aren't .
I have seen the same type of comments before ..in ut2003 demos and ut2004 but time with patchesa and someone will make briteskins for it and it will get better.
If not I am sure there will always been ut2004 servers around as it is too good of a game to just disappear.
I probably will play both .
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Porkinator wrote:
Ace wrote:Wow, 3 years development on this? I honestly can't imagine how bad this game would look had they released it on time, f-me.

Does that mean you don't like it Ace ?
Personally I think it is prety cool and I like the weapons and the movements.
I think the skins need to be brighter and more color to the maps but other than that I like it.
I have seen the same type of comments before ..in ut2003 demos and ut2004 but time with patchesa and someone will make briteskins for it and it will get better.
If not I am sure there will always been ut2004 servers around as it is too good of a game to just disappear.

Dead on, Pork. Honestly, why did people expect this to be just a shinier version of 2004? Play the game for itself, not by having expectations from any of the other versions. Besides, being cartoony is the least bit true about this game that I've heard so far :roll:

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 pm

[/quote]
Dead on, Pork. Honestly, why did people expect this to be just a shinier version of 2004? Play the game for itself, not by having expectations from any of the other versions. Besides, being cartoony is the least bit true about this game that I've heard so far :roll:[/quote]

Avaris you assume too much. I don't want or need ut2k4.1, I am ok with a new game and none of my comments really reflect that I want that. L2notassume ;)

My comments are about the gameplay mechanics, soupy graphics and other things that are regarding this game, not some clone of ut that I'm looking for.

This is basically Gears of War for the pc. If you haven't played GoW on the console, go do so, then you will get the picture.

Like nyte said though, they can do a lot if they want to improve this before release so I'm reserving judgement and hoping for the best.

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:51 am

So funny, when UT 2003 came out everyone said the same things - cartoony compared to UT 99, plays like Quake etc.

I'm sure they dumbed down a lot of stuff on the demo so ppl like Nyte and I, on older systems, will run out and buy it.

Wow factor will be forthcoming I'm sure...

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:18 am

nonstop wrote:

Dead on, Pork. Honestly, why did people expect this to be just a shinier version of 2004? Play the game for itself, not by having expectations from any of the other versions. Besides, being cartoony is the least bit true about this game that I've heard so far :roll:[/quote]

Avaris you assume too much. I don't want or need ut2k4.1, I am ok with a new game and none of my comments really reflect that I want that. L2notassume ;)

My comments are about the gameplay mechanics, soupy graphics and other things that are regarding this game, not some clone of ut that I'm looking for.

This is basically Gears of War for the pc. If you haven't played GoW on the console, go do so, then you will get the picture.

Like nyte said though, they can do a lot if they want to improve this before release so I'm reserving judgement and hoping for the best.[/quote]
Oh, lawdy. My comment was more directed at the mass of people that actually did expect it to be just like that. Oh non, it's always about you.../sarcasm

To be honest, this game seems to me like everything 2004 wanted to be. You lot have been spoiled rotten by 2004 :wink:

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Porkinator wrote:Personally I think it is prety cool and I like the weapons and the movements.

It is a rehash of 04, just a very bad one. If they were going to start from scratch, why not make something new? They took the same weapons, made the maps about as dark as they could get, then made it almost impossible to tell power-ups from ground clutter along with making everything look toy like fake. The only real change in the game is the sniper and well all knew that was coming (but really it's a mix of the LG, wtf is the red line). I played the demo for about 15 minutes last night, then jumped into UT04, night and day difference on how the maps look and feel. I'm all for detail, but the two maps in the demo, look like a messy kids room.

I definitely remember bitching about the LG being introduced in 03 from 99. The game moved slightly different, but I remember bitching the most about how even all the weapons seemed. The maps were good and more importantly the game actually looked better. Honestly, the way the game looks and feels, it's Quake and or Halo, it's not UT to me.

Not a chance in the world I'd pay $50 for this. From what I've seen so far, I'd pass on it if it were in the $9 bargain bin. Doesn't have an ounce of cool it it, not a single innovative new feature, and frankly looks boring. Take that with a grain of salt, since I don't play much anymore. Other then taxing your expensive game hardware more, justifying your purchase, am I missing something, what makes you WANT to play it? What is better about it?

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:47 pm

u kno what game had kool weapons?...DUKE NUKEM 3D!!

the shrink ray was friggin awsome!!...pipe bombs FTW, and lazer trip mines!...EPIC could have got a clue and at least introduced ONE new weapon...

the carry-around medkit was kool 2...heal urself on the go!

here is hoping the full version will have SOMETHING original...

although, the hoverboard is kinda kool...feel like im in Back to the Future 2...

"u can have it, i have a Bulldog now!!"
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,

5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Nytefyre wrote:u kno what game had kool weapons?...DUKE NUKEM 3D!!

the shrink ray was friggin awsome!!...pipe bombs FTW, and lazer trip mines!...EPIC could have got a clue and at least introduced ONE new weapon...

the carry-around medkit was kool 2...heal urself on the go!

here is hoping the full version will have SOMETHING original...

although, the hoverboard is kinda kool...feel like im in Back to the Future 2...

"u can have it, i have a Bulldog now!!"

If I'm not mistaken, they haven't put in all of the other known features of the game (slowmo cube, and I think there were trip mines as well). Besides, instagib still hasn't been shown :D

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 am

Upon further review....

I have determined that my PC is too shitty for me to make an accurate assessment of how well this game plays/looks.

Can someone who gets good frames at a higher level of detail tell me:
-Does the game feel bright enough? I get a headache from squinting at my screen trying to see anything, and my brightness is cranked... Is there a gamma setting anywhere?

-The game has a blurry, hazy feeling to it that removes the precision from the gameplay... Does this get better as the game is sharpened up? also, these noobed slider bars for mouse sens, etc... are really irritating.

-Virtually all of the pickups look like a jumbled mess, and are undiscernable from one another... Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
*Beer -&- UT*

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 am

Beer
Ty the ini tweaks Non posted in the UT3 tips thread.
They will clean it up a lot.
The demo was bundled with maps half the resolution o what comes with the game
so as to make the downloads smaller.
I have a 8800 gts card and I can tell the difference in the pickups and yes the deathmatch maps are dark and somewhat blurry but If you turn off the blur funtions in the tips you will see a diffrence.
The game is fun and I think when it hits people will see what they have been working on with all the features
included.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “ut: open unreal forums”