Truth? If so what does this mean?

Whatever Unreal topics you can dream up.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Re: Truth? If so what does this mean?

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:18 pm

i remember beta vs. vhs wars. beta was definitely the better of the two. correct me if i'm wrong, but beta had better video quality but the hardware was more expensive. The problem with beta was that it was proprietary. Sony owned it and controlled it too tightly. By refusing to license beta to 3rd party manufacturer's vhs(which was licensed to everyone and everything) eventually won over the market. Sony really fubar'd that up.

Beta is still in use though. The broadcast industry still uses betacam tapes and camera's. However, it's days may be numbered with the introduction of HD.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:25 am

Sideous Prime wrote:i remember beta vs. vhs wars. beta was definitely the better of the two. correct me if i'm wrong, but beta had better video quality but the hardware was more expensive. The problem with beta was that it was proprietary. Sony owned it and controlled it too tightly. By refusing to license beta to 3rd party manufacturer's vhs(which was licensed to everyone and everything) eventually won over the market. Sony really fubar'd that up.

Beta is still in use though. The broadcast industry still uses betacam tapes and camera's. However, it's days may be numbered with the introduction of HD.

Sony Sux

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:09 am

law.of.averages wrote:
Sideous Prime wrote:i remember beta vs. vhs wars. beta was definitely the better of the two. correct me if i'm wrong, but beta had better video quality but the hardware was more expensive. The problem with beta was that it was proprietary. Sony owned it and controlled it too tightly. By refusing to license beta to 3rd party manufacturer's vhs(which was licensed to everyone and everything) eventually won over the market. Sony really fubar'd that up.

Sony Sux

I agree.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 am

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Anybody keeping score, this is the first and probably the last time Pork and I are in agreement. To celebrate, I will be egging Jeta's house tonight.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Sony does suck. The sid fully concurs. btw ace, can I help?
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Thinking 10:30, BYOE

ethanlima058

Postby ethanlima058 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 pm

They're old products [like out of the 90's] were very good quality from what I can remember.

About 8 months ago I bought some Memorex CD-R's for burning, and they worked flawlessly. About a month ago I picked up a 20-pack of Sony CD-R's. 20% were unusable, and many others sounded like they were about to snap while burning. I never thought Memorex would beat out Sony in quality.

[Oh just a quick note to anyone looking to buy blank CD's / DVD's. Try to purchase ones that are made in Japan. Those are the best. Although they seem harder and harder to find nowadays... Memorex and Sony both shipped their CD / DVD manufacturing to Taiwan... which makes inferior products.]

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 pm

my sony mini dv camera ...optical quality decent....drivers/software sweet/tech web site...

sooooper suckage :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

Return to “ut: open unreal forums”