DJ Clown's album club

Pop, Rock, Hip Hop, Country... It's all good!

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

DJ Clown's album club

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:52 pm

Please no jacking this thread. Anyone is allowed to post here, but please keep your comments related to my reviews or the Rock music gender. Album/single suggestions and reviews are encouraged. NO PUNK ROCK, LOVE ROCK OR POP ROCK!

[EDIT]
I may throw in some oldies as well. Surprisingly The Beetles, Jefferson Starship and even Simon and Garfunkel may be mentioned lol. Feel free to jump on these sorts of musicians/bands as well.

Albums/Singles worthy of DJ Clown's permanent collection:

Breaking Benjamin - Phobia
Three Days Grace - OneX
The Who - The Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
Led Zepp - The early days/Later days collection
System of a down - Mezmerize/Hypnotize
Tool - Any and all albums (Lateralis still on top)
A perfect circle - Any and all albums
Korn - See you on the other side
Sid's Acoustic work
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
Evans Blue - The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume

Honorable mentions:

Hinder - Extreme Behavior
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Foo Fighters - In your Honor
Molly Hatchet - Greatist Hits
Queens of the Stoneage - Lullabies to Paralyze
Styx - Big Bang Theory
Evanescence - Fallen (Rock chicks frickin' own)
10 years - The Autumn Effect

I kicked my own balls!:

Lost Prophets - Liberation Transmission
STAIND - #@%$$#@ Bald Emo
U2 are a dochebag
HIM - Killing Loneliness (So called inventors of Love Rock. More Emos!)

=============================================

Just picked this up today along with the acoustic version of their single The Diary of Jane. Now as we all know, most albums are only good for their singles. And even those that arnt, the singles usually sound completely different than the rest of the album. I listened through this album twice through nonstop and the acoustic song three times. Impressive is a tragic understatement. I really like acoustic too. But usually rock acoustic results in good music and bad singing. This version uses both a piano and acoustic guitar. But the singer actually has a voice. The song actually sends chills up my spine it's that good. OMFG I'm so impressed with this band and their lyrics! This album is actually going in the car. My car's CD player is only reserved for the best. No joke.

Other albums in line for my review.

Lost Prophets - Libertation Transmission

Stone Sour - Come what(ever)

Three Days Grace - OneX

Hinder - Extreme Behavior (2005)

Expect even more reviews from me. Very few know this, but I listen to music about 90% of my waking hours. 8 hours at work, my driving and almost all hours at home. I do know how to read music, (well probably forgotton off-hand knowlege by now) and even tried playing guitar many many years back. Unfortunately I never followed up. I was also a master at the Recorder. :roll:
Last edited by ClownMajik on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 20 times in total.

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Lost Prophets - Libertation Transmission

GARBAGE! JUNK! Once again the statistics have proven me right again. One good single that sounds completely different than the rest of the band. Other than their single, this band is $#%$# Punk. OMFG VOMIT!

Stone Sour - Come what(ever)

Two good songs of a hard rock gender. Their single, Through Glass sounds similar to the band Shinedown. Half the album is heavy head shaking music, the other 40% is not so heavy, but a hybrid mix of Shinedown/Disturbed. No thanks. The last song is some piano solo love song shit. Another unfortunate statistic.

Three Days Grace - OneX

Very good. Slightly better than expected based off single(s)

Hinder - Extreme Behavior (2005)

Buzzworthy. As expected based on single(s)

Next in line: 30 Seconds to Mars.
Last edited by ClownMajik on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Re: Breaking Benjamin - Phobia

Postby -Jeta- » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:15 pm

ClownMajik wrote:Just picked this up today along with the acoustic version of their single The Diary of Jane. Now as we all know, most albums are only good for their singles. And even those that arnt, the singles usually sound completely different than the rest of the album. I listened through this album twice through nonstop and the acoustic song three times. Impressive is a tragic understatement. I really like acoustic too. But usually rock acoustic results in good music and bad singing. This version uses both a piano and acoustic guitar. But the singer actually has a voice. The song actually sends chills up my spine it's that good. OMFG I'm so impressed with this band and their lyrics! This album is actually going in the car. My car's CD player is only reserved for the best. No joke.

Clown, I agree. This is a very good album. Its rare to have so many good songs one one album like that. But then again I like most songs on their first album too. :)

However, I didnt care for all but the through glass song on the new Stone Sour CD (in which I just bought the one song online instead of the whole CD!)
... WTF ...

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:59 pm

In the spinner:

Breaking Benjamin - Saturate (2002)
Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone
30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie (2005)
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Naix

Postby Naix » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Tool has been and probably always will be my favorite band.

They have a totally different feel than most others. I've always been intrigued by their music and style, however weird it may be. (you seen some of their music videos?)

They see music as a special artform, not a get rich quick scheme:

Taken from danny carey's (the drummer) site

Q: How did tool get signed? Any ideas? How would you recommend getting signed?

A: If you are playing music to get signed, please do me, yourself, and the whole world a favor and quit right now. The last thing this world needs is more shit to filter through when we are looking for sincerity and inspiration in art forms. If you are playing in a band in your local scene and not developing a following, then you don't have a voice or a message that needs to be heard. That's not to say you should quit. You should just quit trying to please other people and play for yourself. Tool only played 7 gigs before the sharks were circling, looking for fresh meat to rob and exploit. The reason for this was every time we played, our friends went home and told their friends about the next gig, who told their friends about the next gig etc. until by the time we had done 5 shows, the clubs we were playing in were packed. You either have a chemistry that taps into the current or you don't. There is nothing wrong with playing heart felt music that is not trendy or popular but there is nothing worse than someone bastardizing or compromising their art for the sake of popularity and money.
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:30 pm

30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie

Single - Attack (Track 1)
Good

Album - Reminds me of Audioslave but a little bit faster. After listening to the whole thing, almost every track sounded the same. Eventually it just mushed together. Not a bad album though. I'm pretty picky, but I think most would like it. Neutral review for now. I've been listening to a lot of the same style rock for a few days. I'll come back to this album for a second review when I have a fresh start.

@Naix
What is your favorite tool album/single? I do own their lastest 10,000 days, but I think lateralis still goes down as their best album.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:58 am

Lateralis does pwn. I expected more from 10,000 Days though...

A Perfect Circle has some sweet stuff too from Maynard Keenan and Billy Howerdel:

Thirteeth Step
Mer de Noms
eMOTIVe

... in that order

(trying not to hijack, Clown!) :wink:
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:03 pm

Breaking Benjamin - Saturate (2002)
Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone

Both albums are what I expected from them. Not as good as Phobia. With BB on the list already, I will leave these albums out.

[EDIT]
I have been informed that a fellow T¡ member has purchased an album after reading this thread. I have also been given a good review on the Phobia album. Thanks for reading.

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Bullet for My Valentine - The Poison

Single - Tears Don't Fall (2005)

I'm reaching into my existing collection for this one. If you like SlipKnot, you will like this album. I personally don't like SlipKnot, but even I still enjoy BMV. They are not as heavy. The Poison is a good break from the average alternative rock due to its awesome mix of Hard Rock and Metal execution. A recommended buy for Metal fans.

Naix

Postby Naix » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 pm

@Naix
What is your favorite tool album/single? I do own their lastest 10,000 days, but I think lateralis still goes down as their best album.

I dont really have a favorite single, i like a bunch. But as for best overall cd, i would have to say that lateralus and aenima are in the tie for 1st, then probly undertow, then 10000 days, then Opiate.

Not saying i dont like the songs on the last few cd's on the list, just the first few have a really good blend of them.

I think APC is great too, i just think they are getting too political. Im not a big fan of politics in music. Mer de noms and 13th step were great, but im not a huge fan of emotive.

10,000 days could be a little better, but maybe im missing the deeper meaning behind it :wink:
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:24 pm

Naix wrote:I think APC is great too, i just think they are getting too political.

Welcome to Maynard's agenda :roll:
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:02 pm

APC isnt even a band anymore. They officially broke up.

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Census time. Who here owns more than one Stone Temple Pilot/Scott Weiland album. (Velvet Revolver included I guess)

FATTYLLAMA

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:09 pm

ClownMajik wrote:Census time. Who here owns more than one Stone Temple Pilot/Scott Weiland album. (Velvet Revolver included I guess)

I have contraband

I guess ill leave some of my own suggestions, but nothing here has big modern singles, and most of its older than 5 years

Anthrax- Spreading the Disease
Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time
Phish- Junta
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Judas Priest- Stained Class
Yes-Close to the Edge, Fragile, and Tales from Topographic Oceans
All Rage Against the Machine

quite frankly, im not quite sure what you're looking for, but when you talk rock, those albums are some of my favorites. when you talk singles, im clueless, but none of these are punk or pop.

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Phish huh.. wow I havn't seen their name in forever.

Here's another recommended buy:

This album already has three hit singles. A very very good album IMO. They sound very similar to Evans Blue and Three Days Grace. Even a tad like 30 seconds to mars. Well done. I'm writing this review and I'm only on track 7/11. That says something. So does three singles.

Evans Blue - The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume

Sounds similar to The Raconteurs (hah). It's a toss up between these two albums as for my personal taste. Both are really good. I've been through the Evans Blue album three times since I got it. And that was just this week. Bands like these two are awesome examples of the new age rock. Their style is nothing like what bands used to be in the 90's and early 2000.

HIM - Killing Loneliness

I have added another album to the Balls list. I will admit, HIM's two singles are somewhat decent, but the album is horrible. Everysong but the singles sound like emo-cry love ballads. Horrible album IMO. Maybe their second album will be better. They proclaim to be the inventors of Love Rock. Heh, if you go to HIM's official site, you can join the contest for the new album cover. "Help design the new HEARTAGRAM." OMG satanic buttsecks!

LoL. I looked them up on WIKI. "The band released their first studio album, Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666, on November 20, 1997. " Wow... It's actually a good read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIM

lol...Misconceptions on "Satanism"....

Don't claim to be emo eh? What about this album release! - Razorblade Romance, (2000) EMO!!!

Return to “music in mind”