Windows 8 plans leaked

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Porkinator

Windows 8 plans leaked

Postby Porkinator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:42 pm

AN EMPLOYEE has accidentally leaked details of Microsoft’s next operating system via his Linkedin profile.

Robert Morgan, a senior member of the Microsoft Research team for the last seven years, posted the details on his profile at Linkedin, a popular social networking site for business professionals.

He describes himself as: “Working in high security department for research and development involving strategic planning for medium and long-term projects. Research & Development projects including 128bit architecture compatibility with the Windows 8 kernel and Windows 9 project plan.”

If correct the new operating system will be a major jump for Microsoft, which is producing a 32bit version of Windows 7 as well as a 64bit one. The jump to 128bit suggests Microsoft is banking on machines using much faster processors and a buoyant hardware refresh cycle.

Steve Ballmer has confirmed that the company is working on a client operating system to follow Windows 7 but details were not released. The earliest expected date would be 2012 he said.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Duffy

Re: Windows 8 plans leaked

Postby Duffy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Dec 12th 2012 WooHooo ( refer to Myan Calendar)
Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity !

MadSkittles

Postby MadSkittles » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 am

Isnt that day suppose to be on Dec 21, 2012 ? I know there are actually 2 different days depending on if its the short calendar or long calendar being used, but I thought the most popular one used was dec 21 one whichever calendar that is.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:29 pm

What could the consumer possibly have for 128bits.

16 to 32 was a no brainer, maximum addressable memory for 16 bit was 0.000064G (64K)
After that you 'segment' and believe me, segmenting memory just wasn't fun.

32 to 64 is a lot harder. Maximum addressable memory for 32 bit is 4G. More than enough to run anything short of a database server.

64 to 128 is rediculous. Maximum memory size of 64 bit is 18,446,744,073 G. To get that much storage you'd need 9 million 2 TB drives.

I can't even think of a millitary application that would use so much data... So why would *anyone* be working on the next generation now?

Return to “thoughts... more or less”