What did they think would happen?!?!

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

What did they think would happen?!?!

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:22 pm

I've never seen a corporation out of touch with what their consumers want. now a number of consumers are jumping ship, deleting their accounts, and this is what Facebook says when they do:

serves Facebook right for not knowing their consumer base and creating a stupid ass 'terms of agreement' that nobody in their right mind would EVER, EVER agree too.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Trinity

Re: What did they think would happen?!?!

Postby Trinity » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:14 am

The whole thing actually made it to Fox News and CNN. I removed all my blogs, pictures, and videos due to their TOS change. It was nice having that there but isn't worth the risk of them pulling another bonehead move and claiming my content as their own. Such a shame... I've gotten back in contact with many people from my high school days and it was a good place to share. I'm sure they reserved the right to change their TOS whenever they wanted, but it also really irritates me that they didn't give people an out or even announce that they were changing.

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Either of you use Google services? Or Microsoft, Yahoo! etc? Their TOS was not unique, it is really just Facebook playing the CYA (cover your ass) game. Funny thing is if they had that clause from the start this whole mess probably would never have surfaced!

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 am

Slightly different situation then Google's, MS's, and others. They all need the CYA clauses which can be expected. But FB specifically had theirs rewritten to say they owned all the content you posted. After the shit storm hit, they did a great PR piece saying that it was a mistaken in wording and backed down. In reality, they got caught trying to up the ante. I don't buy for a second it was a wording mistake, they are a huge social site and need to make money somehow. This served as a great warning to the Google's, MS's, etc., that if you attempt to pull something like this, not only are you going to lose a huge chunk of your users, but chances are they'll lose the exact users who are most important to them, the users that create the content that makes the product work in the first place.

FB ultimately lost my trust pulling this shit, but the lessons will create more caution from other companies trying this same level of BS down the road which is a good thing.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:23 am

the article i read said that a facebook group protesting this has 175,000 members!!! wow
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:15 pm

All your base are belong to us.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”