How anal can you get ?

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Porkinator

How anal can you get ?

Postby Porkinator » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Attacks+ ... e11366.htm
Apple and Steve Jobs are unhappy with New York's new logo for its green campaign
Looking at NYC's GreeNYC campaign logo -- a little green apple with curve bisecting it -- it certain looks harmless. The GreeNYC campaign was launched by Mayor Bloomberg as part of a vision for sustainability over the next twenty-five years. It aims to cut the city's carbon emissions by 30 percent and to conserve natural resources.

The innocent looking logo has been popping up of late on bus shelters, hybrid taxis and shopping bags from Whole Foods. The city filed for trademark for the logo in May 2007. Soon after filing Apple began a fierce legal campaign against the symbol, which it has continued to escalate to the present. Apple claims that the earth friendly logo will, "seriously injure the reputation with which [Apple] has established for its goods and services."
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Re: How anal can you get ?

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm

oh bs. it's no different than apple records from britain saying the same thing about apple computer and their names and logo. NYC and apple the logo's are nothing alike except for the tilt of the stem on top. i can understand challenging a trademark but c'mon. this is just apple showing their un1337ism and belief in their superiority.

if apple sues, i hope bloomberg and the city council kicks the apple store of fifth avenue and out of the city. then we'd see how smart the "genius'" are.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Know your facts first:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/03/apple-vs-nyc-whats-really-going-on/

So you might have heard that Apple and New York City are currently in a little scuffle over the city's apple-shaped GreeNYC logo -- NYC wants to trademark the logo, and Apple would prefer that didn't happen. The story's gotten pretty wild out there, and while it's not worth a full-blown Know Your Rights, we thought we'd try and clear up what's happening, since, you know, +10 lawyer.

Unlike all those previous Apple trademark disputes, this isn't a true lawsuit, and Apple hasn't sued anyone -- the city of New York has filed a trademark application for the GreeNYC apple-shaped logo with the Patent and Trademark Office, and Apple has filed its opposition to that application. That's an important part of the trademark registration process, actually: every single trademark application has to go through a 30-day opposition period during which interested third parties can raise their objections. We'd say it's pretty obvious that Apple's got an interest in other apple-shaped trademarks, so it's not particularly surprising that it's taking the first available opportunity to speak up about this one.

After the trademark applicant responds to the objection in writing (what some people have been wrongly calling NYC's "counterclaim"), the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board gathers evidence and makes a decision. We'd almost be willing to bet that never happens, though -- after all the lawyers are done strutting around and promising victory, it's likely that Apple and NYC simply come to an amicable licensing agreement. Bottom line? This is exactly how the system is supposed to work, and Apple is just protecting its billion-dollar brand as best it can -- thousands of these oppositions are filed by all sorts of companies each year. We know, not very fun at all -- anyone care to start a Jobs vs. Bloomberg slapboxing petition?
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:37 am

I hear Stevie is going to sue Bible printers to change Eve's apple into a pear or demand royalty on all the Bibles ever printed.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am

You know the old saying, whatever you focus on most either negative or positive, you love. So why does pork have such a huge hard on for Steve Jobs?

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:49 am

nonstop wrote:You know the old saying, whatever you focus on most either negative or positive, you love. So why does pork have such a huge hard on for Steve Jobs?

While Apple is broadly appreciated as one of the most innovative tech companies, it has also been widely criticized for its draconian legal and business tactics -- from bricking users unlocked iPhones, to killing the leak site Think Secret, and trying to legally block the Big Apple, New York City from using a logo with an apple (which bears little resemblance to either version of Apple Inc.'s logo) in an environmental campaign.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:45 pm

While I agree with you, they can be harsh, your examples are all factless.

Apple warned everyone RIGHT IN THE UPDATE that if you had a modified phone the updates could brick the device. And BTW: there isnt a firmware-based device on the planet that can be flashed perfectly 100% of the time. There is always a fail rate.

ThinkSecret was shut down because they obtain information that could only have been stolen or leaked, and they couldnt prove it was from a leak. It was a settlement agreement - thinksecret had a chance to survive in court if they wanted. (yes, i know, who wants to take on big ol' Apple legal?)

And I think I just showed the apple logo issue in this post.

No, they are far from perfect. I just like arguing with you because you dislike what you don't understand. :)

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:00 am

What's this update? I got my wife an iPhone for her Birthday last week? What's it do?

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:41 am

law.of.averages wrote:What's this update? I got my wife an iPhone for her Birthday last week? What's it do?

More flexibility for open source apps. And most likely a fix for iPhone hacks that can use multiple providers.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:13 pm

law.of.averages wrote:What's this update? I got my wife an iPhone for her Birthday last week? What's it do?

Current version is 1.1.4 unless you have developer beta for 1.2/2.0

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:04 am

pewterdragn wrote:

Current version is 1.1.4 unless you have developer beta for 1.2/2.0

Well if she ever lets me see the phone again, I'll see what version is on it.

What's new with 1.2 / 2.0 fruit-master?

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:27 pm

The major functionality is

* ActiveSync support directly with MS Exchange for Mail/Calendar/Contacts (i.e. no intermediate server like BlackBerry) including Enterprise provisioning
* iTunes App Store - Developers can write custom C apps and distribute via iTunes for free or for profit.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”