Book recommendations by Houdini and friends

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

Book recommendations by Houdini and friends

Postby Houdini » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:15 am

Ti Book recommendations by Houdini (and anyone else that actually wants to recommend a book)

On behalf of the Tribal Instinct community I would like to volunteer to enrich our cultural outlook by creating the Ti book recommendations. Who better then the turrets strickened Houdini to share with all of you the various books that add richness, insanity and generally form the warped curve which is my twisted outlook on life.

For my first entry I will be sharing a great book by the current Editor in Chief of National Lampoon called The Saddam Dump : Saddam Hussien's Trial Blog. This is a farcical look a the inner workings of Saddam’s mind laid out as a blog that Saddam has been writing during his trial. A quick peek at some of the chapter titles pretty much tell’s you what you need to know:

• To Coup or Not to Coup
• Limericks by Saddam
• I Pardon Myself
• Insane in the Hussein
• Pimp Your Palace
• Judge Judy Rocks
• The Disco Messiah

Overall rating 8 out of 10 hand cuffs.

Enjoy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0977871851/ref=sr_11_1/103-8670945-2593449?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Last edited by Houdini on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:44 am

In a world where metrosexuals--stylish, well-groomed, and sharply dressed men--have taken the center stage in defining the new masculinity, small pockets of men are starting to emerge, rebelling against the status quo. This new breed of man has rejected a lifestyle of wine tasting, pedicures, and excessive cultural awareness (i.e., any cultural awareness). This newly born response to metrosexuality is gaining momentum like never before, calling back to a day when men proudly wore plaid, ate liver and onions, and smelled like motor oil by choice. This modern man has come to be known simply as: the hetrosexual.

Hetrosexual men aren't afraid embrace their masculinity. They eat, drink, and sleep like real men: fully engorged. There's no such thing as a "fashion faux-pas" in the world of hetrosexuality. In fact, even the use of the phrase "faux-pas" draws the ire of the hetrosexual man in the form of beatings and social isolation (preferably both). These are men who refuse to be pigeonholed into the constraints of sexual ambiguity, and gladly welcome every opportunity to crotch-wrestle a hot babe. Hetrosexuals are making it cool to be straight again; straight is the new gay.

Think you might be a hetrosexual? Take the following quiz to find out:

1. How much should you tip a hairstylist?
A) 10%
B) 15%
C) 20%
If you answered, you're wrong. Hetrosexuals don't go to hair stylists.

2. Cologne?
A) Yes
B) No
The correct answer is B) No. Acceptable fragrances for men are: sweat, grease, rum, or some combination thereof.

3. Which language do you speak?
A) French
B) English
C) Both
D) Neither
The answer is B) English. French is the language of love, and men don't love anything. At best, there are varying degrees of "like," and even then, men don't like anything that much.

4. When dining at restaurant, you should
A) Push aside your friends and wrestle over the best seat
B) Wait until the maitre d' seats you
C) What's a maitre d'?
The correct answer is A and C. A, because if you don't secure the best spot at the table, you may find yourself in the position of having to engage in small talk with your guest. And C, because of the answer to question 3 above.

If you answered all of the questions correctly, congratulations: you are the winner. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are a man (unless you are not), and nobody can take that away from you.

Woosh, manliness, check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080652 ... e&n=283155

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Avaris wrote:In a world where metrosexuals--stylish, well-groomed, and sharply dressed men--have taken the center stage in defining the new masculinity, small pockets of men are starting to emerge, rebelling against the status quo. This new breed of man has rejected a lifestyle of wine tasting, pedicures, and excessive cultural awareness (i.e., any cultural awareness). This newly born response to metrosexuality is gaining momentum like never before, calling back to a day when men proudly wore plaid, ate liver and onions, and smelled like motor oil by choice. This modern man has come to be known simply as: the hetrosexual.

Hetrosexual men aren't afraid embrace their masculinity. They eat, drink, and sleep like real men: fully engorged. There's no such thing as a "fashion faux-pas" in the world of hetrosexuality. In fact, even the use of the phrase "faux-pas" draws the ire of the hetrosexual man in the form of beatings and social isolation (preferably both). These are men who refuse to be pigeonholed into the constraints of sexual ambiguity, and gladly welcome every opportunity to crotch-wrestle a hot babe. Hetrosexuals are making it cool to be straight again; straight is the new gay.

Think you might be a hetrosexual? Take the following quiz to find out:

1. How much should you tip a hairstylist?
A) 10%
B) 15%
C) 20%
If you answered, you're wrong. Hetrosexuals don't go to hair stylists.

2. Cologne?
A) Yes
B) No
The correct answer is B) No. Acceptable fragrances for men are: sweat, grease, rum, or some combination thereof.

3. Which language do you speak?
A) French
B) English
C) Both
D) Neither
The answer is B) English. French is the language of love, and men don't love anything. At best, there are varying degrees of "like," and even then, men don't like anything that much.

4. When dining at restaurant, you should
A) Push aside your friends and wrestle over the best seat
B) Wait until the maitre d' seats you
C) What's a maitre d'?
The correct answer is A and C. A, because if you don't secure the best spot at the table, you may find yourself in the position of having to engage in small talk with your guest. And C, because of the answer to question 3 above.

If you answered all of the questions correctly, congratulations: you are the winner. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are a man (unless you are not), and nobody can take that away from you.

Woosh, manliness, check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080652 ... e&n=283155

OMG i'm gay. :oops:

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:25 am

I hope that there is someone that looks at this thread that actually likes reading or thinks maybe they should read more. I read a lot and I believe with the right books you can expand your mind past the boundaries that you might not realize are there. They say reading is fundamental but more than that if you read enough and the right books it really helps you see things from a perspective that you would not find on your own.

In the sprit of the above mentioned words I want to make a recommendation for a great summer reading book. It is one of the strangest books that I read and it will rip you away from everything around you that you think makes sense and really reads like a strange dream. If even one person here would read this I would be happy and I can guarantee the imagery in the book will stay with you for a long time. Also it’s cool because it’s broken down into smaller stories so you can read one at a time without making a large commitment to it. Anyway it’s called Perpetuity Blues and Other Stories by Neil Barret Jr. and its one hell of a read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965590143/103-8670945-2593449?v=glance&n=283155

Rall_Ricker

Postby Rall_Ricker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:22 pm

1 book that i thot was really good, even tho i did have to read it in school, was farenheit 451.
Last edited by Rall_Ricker on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dont let the tiggrrrr get u...or nyte the nipple pincher either

Dr.Feelgood

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Rall_Ricker wrote:1 book that i thot was really good, even tho i did have to read it in scholl, was farenheit 451.

Did anyone else's head just explode tryign to read that?

My book choice is The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick
Because I really don't have anything interesting to say for the most part...

"Hi mom!"

Rall_Ricker

Postby Rall_Ricker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:18 am

i wont even say anything
dont let the tiggrrrr get u...or nyte the nipple pincher either

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:15 am

I used to read a lot but my lips got tired.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:54 am

I'd recommend a lot of the books by Terry Pratchett that are in the Discworld series. They're lots of fun to read, with the monty python-esque humor. My personal recommendations are for "Reaperman", "The Hogfather", "Mort" (but it could be different in English). There are a lot of them, so lots to choose from :D

Sloth

Postby Sloth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 pm

One (used to be obscure) book that I absolutely loved because he shared my sense of humor is "Lord Vishnu's Love handles: A Spy Novel (Sort of)" by Will Clarke. This book was originally released as paperback only (I first read it at this time) and just got re-released on hardcover after it got picked up by Hollywood. The movie is currently under production. the first paragraph right away gives you an idea of his sense of humor

Shelby is a slut. She is also my wife. And that presents certain problems. Actually it presents major problems; I just don't like to think about them. Mainly because I have no real way of knowing that Shelby is a slut. I just have these dreams. And I can't exactly say to her over breakfast, "Honey, I had this dream last night that Reed Bindler was knocking your bottom out. And I think this needs to stop."

read more here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... ly=EXC#EXC

I also read his second book also originally released in paperback only, "The Worthy" was also good and according to Clarke's blog http://www.booktourvirgin.blogs.com/ has also been picked up by hollywood.

Both are very easy to read and can be considered Dark Comedy which happens to be my favorite Genre.

My favorite author by far however is Tim Dorsey http://www.timdorsey.com/home.html who writes about a serial killer Serge who actually is quite endeering since he only kills people who deserve it. He's a schizo with OCD but a genius with a passion for Florida at the same time. this whole series gives a crap load of history on the state of Florida and reads like a Quentin Tarantino movie. If all my history books were written like this I'd learn a lot more.

if anything check out Dorsey's website he created in the Serge persona... fricken hilarious!!!! http://www.sergestorms.com/

Other books: Fight Club, any Clancy novel, Davinci Code, Angels and Demons

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:30 am

One (or rather six) sci-fi novels I've recently enjoyed were the Chronicles of the Lensmen by E.E. "DOC" Smith

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156865 ... e&n=283155

I'll leave the reviews for the folks at Amazon, but add that I found it a fun to contrast 1950's writing with today. In lensman, the people working the devices are the "computers" not the other way around. Men were real men, women were real women...yatta yatta yatta..

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:17 am

Thanks Law good contribution that looks interesting.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:19 am

Sloth wrote:One (used to be obscure) book that I absolutely loved because he shared my sense of humor is "Lord Vishnu's Love handles: A Spy Novel (Sort of)" by Will Clarke. This book was originally released as paperback only (I first read it at this time) and just got re-released on hardcover after it got picked up by Hollywood. The movie is currently under production. the first paragraph right away gives you an idea of his sense of humor

Shelby is a slut. She is also my wife. And that presents certain problems. Actually it presents major problems; I just don't like to think about them. Mainly because I have no real way of knowing that Shelby is a slut. I just have these dreams. And I can't exactly say to her over breakfast, "Honey, I had this dream last night that Reed Bindler was knocking your bottom out. And I think this needs to stop."

read more here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... ly=EXC#EXC

I also read his second book also originally released in paperback only, "The Worthy" was also good and according to Clarke's blog http://www.booktourvirgin.blogs.com/ has also been picked up by hollywood.

Both are very easy to read and can be considered Dark Comedy which happens to be my favorite Genre.

My favorite author by far however is Tim Dorsey http://www.timdorsey.com/home.html who writes about a serial killer Serge who actually is quite endeering since he only kills people who deserve it. He's a schizo with OCD but a genius with a passion for Florida at the same time. this whole series gives a crap load of history on the state of Florida and reads like a Quentin Tarantino movie. If all my history books were written like this I'd learn a lot more.

if anything check out Dorsey's website he created in the Serge persona... fricken hilarious!!!! http://www.sergestorms.com/

Other books: Fight Club, any Clancy novel, Davinci Code, Angels and Demons

Sounds like my sort of reading good stuff Sloth thanks man.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:45 pm

free books online.

http://www.baen.com/library/

Be sure to read the introduction on the home page... It's nice to know *somebody* has a clue about piracy...

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:49 am

Well if real authors have anything on there side books online suck. Something about a nice hard back book that just cant be copied on a monitor.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”