Book recommendations by Houdini and friends

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Deadly
Clan Leader

Postby Deadly » Sun May 06, 2007 3:50 pm

SiFi Classic - Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein

Hypnosis - Monsters and Magical Sticks, or There's no Such Thing As Hypnosis?, Steven Heller and Terry Steele

Zen - The Three Pillars of Zen, Roshi Philip Kapleau

WTF? - Finnegan's Wake, James Joyce (I've never gotten even 1/2 way through this one)

Humor - Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Harvard Lampoon

Wit and wisdom - Mark Twain's essays and short stories

:wink:
Deadly

Houdini

Re: Book recommendations by Houdini and friends

Postby Houdini » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:34 am

It has been a long time since I posted here probably cause I never heard from anyone who read a suggested book from here and posted which is I think the original purpose of the post. :salmon: :arrow: :shock: Throwing caution to the wind I figured I would rekindle the literary fire this thread started and post again. :roll:

For my birthday my sister gave me like 10 books she thought I would like and they were all good there was two that stood out. The first was Blindness by Jose Saramago http://www.amazon.com/Blindness-Harvest-Book-Jose-Saramago/dp/0156007754/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0030100-0731825?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190391605&sr=8-1

A sudden epidemic leaves almost everyone blind the government responds "for everyone’s safety" and you can guess where it goes from there. It really shows life stripped down to an animal level and how those instinct manifest in times of crisis.

The other was actually an Oprah book club book but don’t be scarred. The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a great read. It is a journey of a father and son to safety after some sort of an apocalypse that has left everything vaporized. I could not put it down and then end is really good if your enjoy reading you will like where this book takes you. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0030100-0731825?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190392057&sr=1-1

Read well and prosper.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 pm

Thanks Hou. I'm getting the second one and will try to get the first one once the library carries it.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:12 pm

nice dragon I would love to know your thoughts on them after you read.

Enlight_2.0

Re:

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:03 am

Rall_Ricker wrote:1 book that i thot was really good, even tho i did have to read it in school, was farenheit 451.

I thought that was so so. 1984 by Orwell is another classic, but my favorite remains to be The Giver, one of the First books I ever read. Highly recommend it! Its banned from many schools because of the child rebelling against authority. Any School that bans this book should have a rebellion! :salmon:
Always outnumbered, never out gunned.

Enlight_2.0

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:06 am

Houdini wrote:The other was actually an Oprah book club book but don’t be scarred. The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a great read. It is a journey of a father and son to safety after some sort of an apocalypse that has left everything vaporized. I could not put it down and then end is really good if your enjoy reading you will like where this book takes you. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0030100-0731825?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190392057&sr=1-1

Read well and prosper.

Dude i read that too! What i like about that book is how realistic, yet twisted humanity can be in such a predicament. Good read!

Enlight_2.0

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:24 am

hyperion and the fall of hyperion by dan simmons,

I read that too, i found it entertaining, but was left not so curious to what happens next really. I don't see the bug fuzz about the ending either, the parellel is transparently obvious, but i thought it was a bit loony.
I'm sure you've read Neal Stephenson...really liked the Diamond Age.

This was great! If you liked this i also recommend his book SnowCrash! The very end is kind of out there, but everything before that is well worth the read! Read it!

A few other mentions

Enders Game series
Lolita
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Enlight_2.0

Postby Enlight_2.0 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:32 am

A dork is a whales penis.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Enlight_2.0 wrote:
Houdini wrote:The other was actually an Oprah book club book but don’t be scarred. The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a great read. It is a journey of a father and son to safety after some sort of an apocalypse that has left everything vaporized. I could not put it down and then end is really good if your enjoy reading you will like where this book takes you. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0030100-0731825?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190392057&sr=1-1

Read well and prosper.

Dude i read that too! What i like about that book is how realistic, yet twisted humanity can be in such a predicament. Good read!

I finally read this. I thought it was well written - I did have a harder time getting into it with all the holiday craziness... humanity ftw&l! ;)

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I'm sure you've read Neal Stephenson...really liked the Diamond Age.

I'll second that recommendation.

Also try Neuromancer by Gibson (since we're taking over Houdini's thread :) )

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:15 am

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was a great read.
Last edited by Houdini on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Houdini

Re: Re:

Postby Houdini » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:17 am

Enlight_2.0 wrote:
Rall_Ricker wrote:1 book that i thot was really good, even tho i did have to read it in school, was farenheit 451.

I thought that was so so. 1984 by Orwell is another classic, but my favorite remains to be The Giver, one of the First books I ever read. Highly recommend it! Its banned from many schools because of the child rebelling against authority. Any School that bans this book should have a rebellion! :salmon:

Thanks man I am going to check that one out sounds like my kind of book.

Wynnreaver

Postby Wynnreaver » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 am

House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (Musical artist Poe's brother). Amazing (and literally hard to read). Great and innovative writing style, hard to even describe what the book is about as there are multiple stories intertwined, the main of which is a family living in a house that is bigger on the inside, than the outside, and it really gets "Twilight Zonish" from there on :)

Wynn
And abashed the Devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/prof ... ef=profile

Return to “thoughts... more or less”