Discouraged

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Prozac

Discouraged

Postby Prozac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Just venting here. Lately I've been discouraged about my playing in UT. I know this game has a long learning curve, and I play with some of the best players ever, but I never feel like I'm playing up to my abilities. :!:

Sid told me he would work with me on my weak spots (all spots are weak) lol. I do look forward to that. And he's a great player and coach........he's really not a death coach, I just like to tell him he is. I just want to play better and learn the game better. :roll:

When I spec players like Duffy, Nyte, and Sid and see how well they work the map and make predictions as to where a player is going to be, I'm very impressed. I use some of their tricks sometimes, but not with the skill that they do---------> especially Nyte. He's probably the best stealth player I've ever seen. Evil Hangtyme bastard. :twisted:

But as of late I've lost my focus and keep turning in low scores, which doesn't help my team. I've been playing this game for a few years, and it's a bummer to keep making the same mistakes over and over again....that makes me want to hang up my UT shoes.

Well there's my rant. I just feel if I can't contribute or improve my game, I should be playing something else. :!: :?: :!:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Prozac :) :( :x

Porkinator

Re: Discouraged

Postby Porkinator » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Bullshit.
You playing a hell of a lot better than you ever played before and killing tough players
and winning maps. You are definately making progress but remember these are very good players on line and when you go against people like Skittles ,Nyte and Duffy and possibly Sid (on nights he doesn't suck) you just got to accept there is a good chance you going to get your ass handed to you and be happy when you take them out.
I still suck after all these years but I just enjoy listening the the bs on ts.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Porkinator wrote:you just got to accept there is a good chance you going to get your ass handed to you and be happy when you take them out.

Bullshit to this statement Pork. That's just it.....I want to hand people their asses to them! I'm not satisfied just being an onlooker.

While I definitely enjoy taking out the top notch players, I want to be a force to be reckoned with, so much so that I want my opponent to think that they can't toy with me or I will take them out.

I want to share Sid's attitude of "bring it on bitches" even if he's left alone to kill 3 opponents. That's the kind of confidence I want....but I think that only comes with being really good at this game. I've killed all the players you've mentioned, even in Last Man Standing, but, my scores show that that one kill was the only time I focused and either outsmarted them on the map or even outplayed them - that one time - .

I'm not satisfied with NOT LEARNING how to own, Duffy, Nyte, and Sid. I want to LEARN their secrets and then............use them against them. I want to take it to the next level, I just don't know exactly how to get there.

More ranting...lol :lol: :roll: :x :wink:

Duffy

Postby Duffy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Pro by playing you are getting better trust me, 6 months ago it was like oh here's Pro Combo Combo he runs comes back Combo now I can no longer do that you have learned one thing very well is to Combo corridors one thing I can tell you that I have noticed is that if you turn a corner with someone chasing you if you beat them around the corner you are getting alot better at hitting them with a combo. Which is good for players like Sid that are relentless when they see you. Another thing don't always retreat when you go around said corner sometimes people like Nyte will anticipate where you are going to go and be there waiting on you in other-words sometimes it is good to retrace your steps. It is a judgement call on when you do or do not do it sometimes it works great and others it phails but that is the breaks. But with that said I still think you are a HELL of alot better now then 6 months ago.
Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity !

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Duffy wrote:Pro by playing you are getting better trust me, 6 months ago it was like oh here's Pro Combo Combo he runs comes back Combo now I can no longer do that you have learned one thing very well is to Combo corridors one thing I can tell you that I have noticed is that if you turn a corner with someone chasing you if you beat them around the corner you are getting alot better at hitting them with a combo. Which is good for players like Sid that are relentless when they see you. Another thing don't always retreat when you go around said corner sometimes people like Nyte will anticipate where you are going to go and be there waiting on you in other-words sometimes it is good to retrace your steps. It is a judgement call on when you do or do not do it sometimes it works great and others it phails but that is the breaks. But with that said I still think you are a HELL of alot better now then 6 months ago.

I really appreciate your's and Porks feedback a lot. I have no idea if I'm getting better other than the scoreboard. If I score a 50 or above, I've had a great game. But I usually land in the 30's.

Yeh, I've learned a lot from specin' all you guys, and seeing what you do and trying to emulate that.

Thanks Duffy for the positive feedback and the tips and advice you put in your post. :D

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 am

Pro
We had a pretty good discussion about this last night and pretty much all of us agree
you have been playing a hell of a lot better than you were 6 months ago.
Duffy made a very valid point that we all are getting better as we play more and adapt
to others playing style once we see what has changed .
For example I have worked my ass off the last several months working on hitscan.
In the past most people would attack me from a distance because of my rockets but now they are coming in closer as I begin to inflict damage with the lg and shock.
As Duff pointed out you have been geting better at going around corners and setting up shock combos for people chasing you. I learned that the hard way several times and have tried to adapt.
Nyte has his own style and weakness just like me and Sid and Duffy and everyone else does. We all agree that each player delvelopes his own style of playing and adapts to which map is being played and what players are playing. My personal suggestion to you is this. Practice with all weapons and practice harder with the ones you are weakest with more. Get on Slaughterhouse and use those against the bot.
Second is moving quicker and more fliudly as an example can you get up all the ramps on rankin with no problem? But you have to balance that with being able to hit on the move with your weapons. One of the most important things thatI personally need to work on is trying to outhink your opponent knowing where he hides and if he chases and what weapon is is likely to use first etc etc. This of course varies from player to player and knowing where he is likely to be and what he will likely attack with is the first step on how to defeat,defend against that player. You know well form Godsmack that thinking players are the most dangerous so it behooves you to work on this as well. I hope this helps. That new mouse will help you a lot too as you been playing with a screwed one anyway.

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks Pork for your feedback/encouragement. It helps to get everyone's perspective. Ok Sid and Nyte and whoever else..........what say you? :?: :wink:

MadSkittles

Postby MadSkittles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Hey, pro since ive been back playing with Ti, from when i first started I can see you have gotten some better, I think mainly I can see the difference when you hunker down and play strategy on the map better. Do you have a ways to go ? Not going to lie to you but yes to catch up to the top of the players on Ti. But dont let that discourage you. If you want to get to the top you we will be at the top, but its going to take work.

Your weak spots = you fire the combo to early. Where as firing early can be beneficial at times such as at corners and stuff but waiting even a fraction longer can mean a kill or a death to you, but if the enemy is far away dont think twice about waiting a second or 2 to let the combo get to them then fire it. Even if doing standing combo's, because the majority of the time if ur standing still that one second longer the enemy will miss you with their shot anyways. That being said though work on moving combos though, you will hate this at first cuase u will suck way worse than when ur playing ur normal style your use to. (Good time to practice is slaughterhouse run around throw combos everywhere and try to hit them while moving).

number 2 is hitscan, not bad actually better than pork use to be cause pork never used them lol, but just as pork has gotten better so can you. It takes practice, I bet if u ask pork when he first used them he hated it, couldnt hit nothing then he got use to it. Lowering the mouse setting on this will help but you have to get use to close range combat then if u dont use on the fly mouse settings for dpi. Advice here is simply just to use them a lot (make it a goal to run out of ammo of each on each round).

Map strategy comes in with a lot of things which im sure you already know, its just implementing them into your game style. Such as knowing the other player, knowing where players are, knowing where your teamates are. Now all that is only with rough estimates and sometimes can take time getting use to when there are a lot of people on the map, but trust me it helps. If you can beat someone to a starting point (like if u spawn fast and can start moving fast, if u pc doesnt lag), and fire a combo where its typical people will come do it, if you cant get the beat on them and make it there first stay defensive, dont let them get the advantage of getting the first shot.

Most peole dont know the excercises i went through when I was actually trying ot improve my gameplay, I always ventured out to play against higher skilled people even if i got my arse handed to me. I also did missions just vs bots vs me on god mode just so i could practice staying away, I played maps without anyone in the map just so i could learn maps really well, like how to get to a certain point at the fastest route and where to jump off what walls so i can move across th emap the fastest I can. Now I use to do a lot of training and skill drills to up my overall skills, I no longer go through them on a regular basis and thats why from the past my skill as dropped off probably a notch or two.

Its a good thing sid is taking the time to get with you one on one and try to help. Let me know if you need particular advice in a certain area if im able to help. I don't mind helping other players become better even if they start to kill me, simply cause im the type of player if i start losing I will hunker down again to up my gameplay so that I can again become one of the top, just the way I am whether its a curse or a blessing lol.

Hopefully some of this helps a little bit, and let me know in game or w/e and I can try to help you with something else, but another bit of advice never take just one persons gameplay to improve your own, sample from a variety and shape them all into ur game play.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 pm

I would like to know how you practice your hitscan Skittles.
I just run around pipeworks shooting a bots at long distances.

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:37 pm

MadSkittles wrote:Hey, pro since ive been back playing with Ti, from when i first started I can see you have gotten some better, I think mainly I can see the difference when you hunker down and play strategy on the map better. Do you have a ways to go ? Not going to lie to you but yes to catch up to the top of the players on Ti. But dont let that discourage you. If you want to get to the top you we will be at the top, but its going to take work.

Your weak spots = you fire the combo to early. Where as firing early can be beneficial at times such as at corners and stuff but waiting even a fraction longer can mean a kill or a death to you, but if the enemy is far away dont think twice about waiting a second or 2 to let the combo get to them then fire it. Even if doing standing combo's, because the majority of the time if ur standing still that one second longer the enemy will miss you with their shot anyways. That being said though work on moving combos though, you will hate this at first cuase u will suck way worse than when ur playing ur normal style your use to. (Good time to practice is slaughterhouse run around throw combos everywhere and try to hit them while moving).

number 2 is hitscan, not bad actually better than pork use to be cause pork never used them lol, but just as pork has gotten better so can you. It takes practice, I bet if u ask pork when he first used them he hated it, couldnt hit nothing then he got use to it. Lowering the mouse setting on this will help but you have to get use to close range combat then if u dont use on the fly mouse settings for dpi. Advice here is simply just to use them a lot (make it a goal to run out of ammo of each on each round).

Map strategy comes in with a lot of things which im sure you already know, its just implementing them into your game style. Such as knowing the other player, knowing where players are, knowing where your teamates are. Now all that is only with rough estimates and sometimes can take time getting use to when there are a lot of people on the map, but trust me it helps. If you can beat someone to a starting point (like if u spawn fast and can start moving fast, if u pc doesnt lag), and fire a combo where its typical people will come do it, if you cant get the beat on them and make it there first stay defensive, dont let them get the advantage of getting the first shot.

Most peole dont know the excercises i went through when I was actually trying ot improve my gameplay, I always ventured out to play against higher skilled people even if i got my arse handed to me. I also did missions just vs bots vs me on god mode just so i could practice staying away, I played maps without anyone in the map just so i could learn maps really well, like how to get to a certain point at the fastest route and where to jump off what walls so i can move across th emap the fastest I can. Now I use to do a lot of training and skill drills to up my overall skills, I no longer go through them on a regular basis and thats why from the past my skill as dropped off probably a notch or two.

Its a good thing sid is taking the time to get with you one on one and try to help. Let me know if you need particular advice in a certain area if im able to help. I don't mind helping other players become better even if they start to kill me, simply cause im the type of player if i start losing I will hunker down again to up my gameplay so that I can again become one of the top, just the way I am whether its a curse or a blessing lol.

Hopefully some of this helps a little bit, and let me know in game or w/e and I can try to help you with something else, but another bit of advice never take just one persons gameplay to improve your own, sample from a variety and shape them all into ur game play.

Thanks Skittles for your feedback. I'll prolly take you up on training some time. I'll hit you up on TS when I'm ready.

MadSkittles

Postby MadSkittles » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 am

Porkinator wrote:I would like to know how you practice your hitscan Skittles.

Wait I thought we were suppose to be help Pro not Porky, oh nuuuu now porky wants to pwn me too lol.

Thats ok practice your doing porky with the bots, it gives you time to run and shoot at things, gives u practice time. What I hate about bots in this regard is they are too predictable and will sit there while u head shot them easily. the shock primary works better with this cause you can use it to bounce them and then retarget and hit again, similiar to what you would experience in game against players.

Now while practice vs bots is ok to use for practice time and just gives u time getting use to the lg and shock, I prefer practicing a different way. There are a plether of advice tips people will tell you on hitscan, a majority of people will tell you to lower mouse speed down and mouse smoothing way up. I dont like this simply as a stand alone advice because you still have to get use to that new mouse settings let alone it changes all other aspects of your gameplay such as moving around the map and close range combat. So I only advice doing this when you got ur hitscan down decently and you want to up it even another notch.

Now what I came up with and what seems to work for me is practice vs the wall, yes thats right shoot the way contrary to what other people tell you pork "Way to go pork shoot that wall with those rockets", Im telling you to shoot the wall lol. How this works is pick a spot on the wall (Don't cheat yourself and tell yourself later that, thats the spot I was aiming for if it wasnt). Now this at first seems ez, and it is when your standing still. Now add in strafing back and forth trying to shoot the same spot over and over, pick different spots in different maps and always try to pick a spot close, medium, and long range. Once you have strafing while shooting the same spot over and over down add in wall jumping to that and jump off the wall and doing wall dodges in various forms and try to hit the same spot on the wall over and over. This will be harder because of the angle at which your in the air you will have to adjust your mouse up and down on the screen to get the same spot. Shoot at different points during your flight at the first /middle/ end of the wall dodge. This part and the next part is where it gets the harder part to do. The last bit which I advice because it will give u better up and down angle shooting is pick a map that has a ledge to fall from. Now pick a spot on the wall which is noticeable and shoot at it while falling in the air. Try to shoot at it during different positions during your fall and also try to use shock and hit same spot several times during your fall to improve up /down angling.

You can also add in later on when u got other down is turn around shooting in all the previous aspects I talked about. Thats just simply turning around same time your strafing/wall dodging/falling and trying to hit a spot on the wall behind you.

Don't get discouraged if its hard for you to do it. Dont get too over confident if you hit the same spot with ease either, because this is practice and it will be a bit different in game but this is intended to help you with angling and consitency and gives you practice time with that gun as well.

I myself would actually spend sometimes hours at a time just running through these different drills one day. Then the next day I would run through other drills such as moving around the map and map scanning / tracking. I did this through several different types of drills because its like when your weight lifting, you normally work one type of muscles such as pulling muscles and then the next day working pushing muscles to give the previous type a break. In gaming, working it this way builds it into muscle memory (yes your finger works with muscle memory lol), and you will start doing these things without even thinking about them.

Let me know if something didnt make sense, I have very poor grammar and my use of words to explain myself properly comes hard for me.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 am

MadSkittles wrote:
Porkinator wrote:I would like to know how you practice your hitscan Skittles.

Wait I thought we were suppose to be help Pro not Porky, oh nuuuu now porky wants to pwn me too lol.

Thats ok practice your doing porky with the bots, it gives you time to run and shoot at things, gives u practice time. What I hate about bots in this regard is they are too predictable and will sit there while u head shot them easily. the shock primary works better with this cause you can use it to bounce them and then retarget and hit again, similiar to what you would experience in game against players.

Now while practice vs bots is ok to use for practice time and just gives u time getting use to the lg and shock, I prefer practicing a different way. There are a plether of advice tips people will tell you on hitscan, a majority of people will tell you to lower mouse speed down and mouse smoothing way up. I dont like this simply as a stand alone advice because you still have to get use to that new mouse settings let alone it changes all other aspects of your gameplay such as moving around the map and close range combat. So I only advice doing this when you got ur hitscan down decently and you want to up it even another notch.

Now what I came up with and what seems to work for me is practice vs the wall, yes thats right shoot the way contrary to what other people tell you pork "Way to go pork shoot that wall with those rockets", Im telling you to shoot the wall lol. How this works is pick a spot on the wall (Don't cheat yourself and tell yourself later that, thats the spot I was aiming for if it wasnt). Now this at first seems ez, and it is when your standing still. Now add in strafing back and forth trying to shoot the same spot over and over, pick different spots in different maps and always try to pick a spot close, medium, and long range. Once you have strafing while shooting the same spot over and over down add in wall jumping to that and jump off the wall and doing wall dodges in various forms and try to hit the same spot on the wall over and over. This will be harder because of the angle at which your in the air you will have to adjust your mouse up and down on the screen to get the same spot. Shoot at different points during your flight at the first /middle/ end of the wall dodge. This part and the next part is where it gets the harder part to do. The last bit which I advice because it will give u better up and down angle shooting is pick a map that has a ledge to fall from. Now pick a spot on the wall which is noticeable and shoot at it while falling in the air. Try to shoot at it during different positions during your fall and also try to use shock and hit same spot several times during your fall to improve up /down angling.

You can also add in later on when u got other down is turn around shooting in all the previous aspects I talked about. Thats just simply turning around same time your strafing/wall dodging/falling and trying to hit a spot on the wall behind you.

Don't get discouraged if its hard for you to do it. Dont get too over confident if you hit the same spot with ease either, because this is practice and it will be a bit different in game but this is intended to help you with angling and consitency and gives you practice time with that gun as well.

I myself would actually spend sometimes hours at a time just running through these different drills one day. Then the next day I would run through other drills such as moving around the map and map scanning / tracking. I did this through several different types of drills because its like when your weight lifting, you normally work one type of muscles such as pulling muscles and then the next day working pushing muscles to give the previous type a break. In gaming, working it this way builds it into muscle memory (yes your finger works with muscle memory lol), and you will start doing these things without even thinking about them.

Let me know if something didnt make sense, I have very poor grammar and my use of words to explain myself properly comes hard for me.

Sounds simple enough. I will try it out. Thanks for the tip

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Pro...late to the table but my couple shillings...

Your gameplay seems much improved over the last week or so. Good hitscan with lightning.
I don't know...it seems to me you're getting better. I like the weapon variety your using.

Keep shoveling my friend.

:)
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

Prozac

Postby Prozac » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Duffy wrote: But with that said I still think you are a HELL of alot better now then 6 months ago.

LOL! :D

Return to “thoughts... more or less”