wonder if this is going to be any good?

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Porkinator

wonder if this is going to be any good?

Postby Porkinator » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:44 pm

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

MadSkittles

Re: wonder if this is going to be any good?

Postby MadSkittles » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:29 am

Reviews have it as a really good movie. You would think there would be violence throughout the entire movie from the trailers but the reviews suprisingly state there is little violence, but the dialouge is impressive and the monologue scenes.

Know if District 9 is worth watching ?

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 am

District 9 was very cool!
There are a few small holes in the story but easily forgiven.

One of the better movies I've seen the last couple years.

I'd give it a big thumbs up.
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:02 am

Inglourious Bastards does keep in line with Tarantino's love of dialog. The reviews I had heard going into the film were "OMG, the violence", so I got duped into thinking it was going to be more of an action film going in. After watching, I want to know who these p*ssies were who thought it was violent because it wasn't even close to opening scene in Saving Private Ryan for example.

I'd review it this way, if you are a fan of Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, then you'll like the film. I don't think it's as good as either of those two classics though, but it does have it's moments. Watching Tarantino's work is a nice change of pace to have the dialog dictate the intensity of the situation instead of goofy one liners and stuff blowing up. So, if that's your thing, you'll hate the movie. Brad Pitt's character is a total bad ass and I feel the movie would have been better had the whole story revolved around him.

I also watched District 9. The hype around the movie hooked me, but it didn't live up to it. My first bitch was it's shot in the style of the live running camera, ie Blair Witch or Cloverfield, which to me makes a film almost unwatchable. If I want to watch shitty home movie style movies, I'll watch my own. If I want to watch a professional made film, I'm willing to pay money for it. It pisses me off to play money to watch somebody intentionally shoot like that. That was strike one. The story is an interesting idea and it is unique. I think it had real promise, but the execution wasn't there. There wasn't an interesting character and a couple of plot holes and the addition of a little cute baby alien for the kids didn't help it's cause.

I liked Bastards much better. Both are worth seeing though, provided you get cheap tickets, but I'd probably recommend waiting until they come out on DVD for both.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:23 am

I liked Pulp Fiction a lot so I will probably wait till Bastards comes out on DVD.
The dialog in Pulp amd the mixing of the time line plus some
outstanding acting makes it one of my favorite movies.

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 am

I disagree Ace. I like the handicam look...the grittiness with the cg aliens worked very well to sell the story.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/district_9/

hey what do a group of critics know anyway....89% on the tomatometer...inglorious basterds...88%.
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:40 am

myxxplyxx wrote:I disagree Ace. I like the handicam look...the grittiness with the cg aliens worked very well to sell the story.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/district_9/

hey what do a group of critics know anyway....89% on the tomatometer...inglorious basterds...88%.

The problem with critics is they are critics and I don't put a lot of stock in them.
I decide what I like and not let them decide for me.
I am critical of critics cause critics cause people to be critical of things that the critics
criticize.

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:14 am

The two movies can't and shouldn't be compared to each other. I find it interesting what critics say, but I'm too hard headed to trust somebody trying to convince me of what I should or shouldn't like. The real test of a movie is would you watch it again?

I would watch Inglourious Bastards again. Why? A couple of the characters were interesting and I know I missed subtle things that only after watching a few times would I catch all of them. Is it even close to making it my top 20 favorite movies, not even close.

I would not watch District 9 again. Why? Simple answer it's boring. Though the shooting style really pisses me off and adds nothing to the overall feel of the movie, it's the lack of a story or a likable character. When looking at the great sci-fi movies, Star Wars, T2, Aliens, Matrix, all of them have great characters and have interesting stories. District 9 isn't even in the same ball park as these movies on any level. District 9 had an interesting idea, bring aliens to Earth and make them bums, play on the social implications, but then ideas ran out. Since it was shot in a documentary style, one would think they would be able to answer the simple question of why did a bunch of bums show up? Or do something. Instead, once they got about halfway through the movie, they decided to slap the ending of ET on it and call it good. I can totally understand liking the movie for something about it, we all have preferences, but anybody giving that movie more then three stars needs their head examined.

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cIjPOJdFM

Zombieland, officially get's Ace's LG seal of approval. Had some good laughs and is a perfect movie to go and have a good time watching. It really says something to the movie industry as a whole, when I've gone to more movies this year in the theater by far and it comes out on top. Zombieland is the best overall movie this year because of it's overall fun. I'll add to my collection for sure.

Return to “thoughts... more or less”