Purchase Inspection

Your general discussion home away from home.

Moderator: ForumModerators

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Purchase Inspection

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm sure everyone's views on this are split but I'm interested in seeing the response to this:

Sir_we_need_to_see_your_receipt
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:44 pm

I think the guy is being unreasonable. When you go to a store you are in THEIR place of business and they have every right to protect their merchadise from thieves.
I work in several retails stores and I have seen all types of theft
ranging from dishonest cashiers that sell stuff below cost to their friends to people that walk up to the scanners and as soon as they go off they run out of the store as fast as they can. I have chased and caught a lot of these people and some have got away.
I have preciatated in wrestling some of them to the ground and sitting on them till the cops arrive. I have seen well dressed people with hundreds of dollars their pocket try to steal a set of 24.00
tennis rack strings. I have caught people in the aisles switching price tags but I did not do nothing until they went through the register and me and the manager took them to a room upstairs
with the proof to wait till the cops arrived.
I have gone to the police station may a time to press charges against thieves on behalf of the store.
If you have nothing to hide then showing a receipt should be no big deal cause if was YOUR store you want to take what precautions you can from being ripped off.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:47 pm

I agree with the guy, I never stop. If there is some error, it was at the fault of the clerk, not me.

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:00 pm

if you kno u've done nothing wrong tho, y not stop? who is it hurting?

that guy has a serious ego/pride issue that needs to be addressed

and, if the business owners knew thier stuff, you could detain the customer for not stopping, and actually levy charges against them until he/she can prove nothing was done wrong

in the end, i doubt anything would be resolved, but it is the RIGHT of the business
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:45 pm

Now I'll give you a lawyers point of view from a friend of mine:

Store cannot detain you unless they make a citizens arrest. If they wrongly accuse you, you have grounds to sue for damages.

Once you have completed the payment transaction, its your legal property. The store has no legal standing to search you or your bags on their premises, only ask you to leave.

You cannot detain someone without a citizens arrest, they are innocent until proven guilty and it is the stores burden of proof.

The right of any business does not override the right of the individual. The business' only recourse is to ban you from the property (if its privately owned by them).

(have I stirred up enough trouble today?)

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:07 pm

I didn't respond because that was an easy one for me as I had a good friend in loss prevention management. Those laws have been around for years.

D1AMOND{RS}

Postby D1AMOND{RS} » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:42 pm

omg here is a thought.... if you hate them asking you for a receipt so much...dont go there! It is still a choice :shock:

D1AMOND

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 am

0_o

well, not according to my dad, who runs a business...

he has and has won many cases about payments and customers/businesses ryghts in court....

well, maybe kuz the laws r different in different states? he is in CA, so that myght be the case....

what i was told/taught, was that the business has every ryght that customer has, including NOT being ripped off and insuring their property and loss prevention

maybe thats changed, and maybe im wrong...or maybe my dads been getting away wth vigilante justice...LOL
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,

5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:03 am

I like the way this guy thinks...

I think the next time I go to Sams, I will try the express exit.

Maybe the next time the alarm claxons go off, I'll take off running... "So I won't be involved if the thief pulls out a gun"

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:08 am

Porkinator wrote:If you have nothing to hide then showing a receipt should be no big deal.

And if you're innocient, you shouldn't mind spending the a couple of days in Jail while the police investigators review the evidence.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 am

Just cause an alarm sounds doesn't mean they can detain you.

Oh yeah. I spent almost 15 minutes in line waiting to get out of Sam's Club the other day... the mark on my receipt isn't worth the time... maybe I should switch to Costco?

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:19 pm

the dragon wrote:Oh yeah. I spent almost 15 minutes in line waiting to get out of Sam's Club the other day... the mark on my receipt isn't worth the time... maybe I should switch to Costco?

I thought Costco checks receipts too. Hmm... I just thought of something...if they're marking the receipt to prevent re-use, it can only mean they think the employees are too stoopit to read the timestamp.

nonstop wrote:I didn't respond because that was an easy one for me as I had a good friend in loss prevention management. Those laws have been around for years.

Coward! Respond or consider yourself Pwned!
:twisted:

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 pm

What I've also noticed is, if you remember our political debate from not-too-long ago, that most of the people who, say, went all "Don't go for Bush" (I'm not gonna list any names), are also saying that the businesses have the right to do so and so. While, the "OMG, this is all Bush's fault" crowd is siding more with the customer. Just interesting how this all stacks up, and just an observation, so no flames, plocks :wink: .

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:59 pm

pewterdragn wrote:Just cause an alarm sounds doesn't mean they can detain you.

Oh yeah. I spent almost 15 minutes in line waiting to get out of Sam's Club the other day... the mark on my receipt isn't worth the time... maybe I should switch to Costco?

I belong to Costco and they do it too.

nonstop wrote:I didn't respond because that was an easy one for me as I had a good friend in loss prevention management. Those laws have been around for years.

lawofaverages wrote:Coward! Respond or consider yourself Pwned!
:twisted:

That's Mr. coward to you sir!

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:22 am

Freakin best buy does it 2!!! :?

I think the real reason is they don't trust their workers. They want to make sure they're not letting someone walk with that hi def tv without paying for it. If you had a buddy who was a cashier you could go through the motions and not pay....

It's not a big deal for me...I usually start sprinting a few steps justs to mess with them... :D

As long as they dont frisk me and find that wide screen plasma stuffed down my shorts. :shock:
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

Return to “thoughts... more or less”