New Logitech MX518 Mouse - Impressions

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

New Logitech MX518 Mouse - Impressions

Postby nonstop » Mon May 02, 2005 2:12 pm

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to post my impressions on the new Logitech mx518 gaming mouse as I have tried it through the weekend a bit. These are impressions only as a full review would need a lot more time with the subject imo.

I wanted to try this one out since I heard about it a few months ago. I thought the logical progression would be to make a corded laser mouse since logitech’s next big thing is their mx1000 laser mouse. Everyone knows that gamers, well I guess hard core ones, stay away from the cordless mice so it seemed that they would make a corded version. Instead they made an updated version of the mx510, their current stalwart for gaming mice, with the same shell but 2x the dpi throughput at 1600. The (510 has an 800dpi sensor).

As you may or may not know, the higher the dpi, typically the lower you will have to set your mouse sensitivity to match what you currently use. My current mouse sensitivity with the 510 has been at 1.0. Not incredibly low like some would prefer, but low enough for me. With the 1600dpi sensor on the 518 it would make sense to lower it to .5 however I lowered it to .5 and it still felt very fast. I lowered it to .25 and it felt about right however it was very difficult to get used to for me.

The good:

Logitech most likely is trying to attract the hardcore gamer that likes to have the highest dpi possible for laser tight accuracy. The current king of the hill has been the Razor mice. The diamondback I believe is their current offering. The problem with Razor mice is that they are not very ergonomic and very hard to get used to. I tried one for a while and my hands are just to big and I couldn’t hang with it. The one thing I did like, and it had a wow factor, was the dpi. It felt so accurate. Any little move I made was tight and controlled, much better than any mouse I had tried before.

This is the same feeling I got with the mx518. Tight, controlled, responsive. My first thought was yes! I like it! It also has several buttons to program like the 510 and it had the 510 shape which for many is quite acceptable.

The bad and ugly:

For me, at .25 sensitivity in ut, I could not play. .25 was pretty close to what 1.0 felt like with the mx510.

The funny part is that I couldn’t move well. I think they mouse sens. affected my movement so I felt very out of pocket. In a scrim against Ace and Nite, (btw, not a good place to try new hardware :D), I couldn’t elevator jump in compressed at all. I couldn’t double dodge or double dodge jump at all. I felt like I had just picked up a mouse and keyboard for the first time. I am still trying to figure out this phenomena as it left me puzzled and frustrated. I have heard from too many good players that you do not want to use Logitech drivers because they are not good for fps games. I imagine the drivers from Logitech would smooth some of the sens. issue out but I’m not willing to try them.

The 518 does have adjustable dpi from 400-800-1600 on the fly right on the mouse but my thought was, why use 800 if I bought a mouse that does 1600?

So first impression is not good. I am very curious if anyone else has tried this mouse and if not, when you do will you post your impressions.

Keep in mind this is just an impression and not a review as I really haven’t spent a lot of time with this mouse. At this point though I’m considering taking it back.

Please post your thoughts if/when you try this mouse out.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon May 02, 2005 2:35 pm

That's why most people never even bother to install some of the drivers for certain devices, especially for logitech's stuff.

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon May 02, 2005 2:54 pm

What are you thinking, going to keep tweaking the settings and keep it or are you going to switch back?

Lately, I've been tempted to try a better mouse, but I'm going to see how this turns out for you first!

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Mon May 02, 2005 3:08 pm

I have the 510 and I am quite happy. I gave a slight thought to the new one but since I am happy with what I got I tihk I am staying put for now!
... WTF ...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon May 02, 2005 3:13 pm

For now Ace I think I'm going to take it back. I may try another time or two but I'm hoping someone will try it and tell me if they are getting the problems with the really high dpi that I am.

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon May 02, 2005 4:40 pm

What happens when you put the dpi the same as the 510 (defeats the purpose I know), I'm curious does it become the same at that point or do you still notice the difference?

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Mon May 02, 2005 5:53 pm

gimme more info b4 i get my new korded stuff NON! :D
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Mon May 02, 2005 6:43 pm

As you all probably know I'm a big Razer fan. The Diamondback is the current "best" in their product line. (On a side note, the current "Razer" company is actually a different corporate entity then the original... the original got run to the ground by their parent company :( ).

The Razer Boomslang was actually quite a bit better then the Diamondback - ever play with 2000dpi resolution? I wish to God I still had mine - I broke it about 6 months ago and had to get a Diamondback. Its good, but the Boomslang just felt better (even tho it had a ball in it!). Much more conforming to the hand.

You are right about the Logitech drivers tho - they are made for the masses and don't perform well in any FPS situation. Stick with the windows drivers!

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon May 02, 2005 9:08 pm

Yeah, same goes for the ATI drivers, its best to go with something else :roll:

Dr.Feelgood

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Mon May 02, 2005 10:30 pm

Am I the only person in the world who actually uses the logitech drivers?
Because I really don't have anything interesting to say for the most part...

"Hi mom!"

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Tue May 03, 2005 7:19 am

yes, yes you are :)
... WTF ...

sexyhubble

Postby sexyhubble » Tue May 03, 2005 9:50 am

Simpsons episode: The Island episode

"Why'd you think a bubble would stop him"
"Shut up that's why!!!!!"

Dr. is right when I first got the mx310 years ago, it sucked like shit, didn't know what everyone was raving about, it was laggier than the ball mouses. Then I decided to install the drivers one day, and well the rest is history, every logitech mouse needs those drivers to work properly, I don't care how messed up the buttons get, or how the middle 3 buttons dont' work, movement will lag without the drivers. Please post your review after you tried installing the drivers non.

Back to Back episodes!!!!!!!

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue May 03, 2005 2:29 pm

Actually I have not talked to one pro who uses logitech drivers. It's just kind of a known fact that you don't do it kaff. Sorry dude.

I tried it on the mx510 and it throws my game way off.

Windows drivers will do the trick.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue May 03, 2005 11:33 pm

Ace wrote:What happens when you put the dpi the same as the 510 (defeats the purpose I know), I'm curious does it become the same at that point or do you still notice the difference?

Hey Ace. It actually becomes just like the 510. Which is cool and all but my mind resists it because I'm thinking I should be able to do 1600. I'm sure with the software it tweaks things but I refuse! :D

Dr.Feelgood

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Wed May 04, 2005 2:19 am

Does anyone else find it amusing that we're arguing mouse drivers here?
Because I really don't have anything interesting to say for the most part...

"Hi mom!"

Return to “game hardware”