Clown's New Toy

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Clown's New Toy

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:11 pm

Heheheh I took it in the shorts and got the new logitec G5 mouse. I almost got the $90 MX 1000, but it was wireless and couldnt quite match the G5's 2000 DPI. Although the MX1000 had a nice rechargable lithium battery.

It features this awesome weight tray for those very 'tweaky' gamers.

Last edited by ClownMajik on Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Clown you were definately hitting better today. Of course that isn't saying a whole lot because wern't you using your xbox controller as a mouse before this? :D

You were deadeye dicking some of the time.

Now I'm jealous.

Anyone want my mx518? :wink:

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:20 pm

I've had my eye on this all week... I definitely want to hear more about it.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:09 am

I wish I had a few extra bucks then this mouse would so be mine, lol this mouse will blow mine out of the water, I'm currently stuck using the MX310, have been for a while now.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:16 am

I've seen it online at pricewatch for about $55... I'm going to hunt one down soon

because I really need *all* the help I can get.

Clown, can the + and - buttons be used in game, or are they hard-wired to the dpi settings?

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:07 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
Clown, can the + and - buttons be used in game, or are they hard-wired to the dpi settings?

They started out that way. You have to program them to keyboard functions. Then you can assign them to UT settings. However I still dont use them. The size and position make them very difficult to use. I'm still used to having two buttons by the thumb so having one is a pain in the ass. It is forcing me to learn UT all over again.

Review:(long and maybe worthless)
Ace and nonstop say that it is a distraction to map all of your weapons on your mouse instead of the keyboard. However, I did that such thing. This was only because I had enough buttons to do so. Now I find myself 'thinking' about weapon switching instead of thinking about my target. Now that I have to use two hands for weapon use, I can not keep my focus. This is the way my weapons used to be set up.

Flak=Mouse wheel up
LG=Mouse wheel down
thumb1=prev. weapon
thmb2=next weapon
shield=1
shock rifle=E

Everything else had easy access by the next and prev weapon. For example: Bio was E and Thumb1. I did it without thought so it was very fast. Almost like hitting one key. By doing this, I could focus all my weapons with one hand so all my movements would remain undistracted. Now this is my current setting.

Prev weapon=Mouse wheel up
next weapon=mouse wheel down
Lightning gun=Thumb
shock rifle=E
flak=Left Shift

There is an alternate setting that I was experimenting with earlier, but those + and - buttons are really hard to use

Prev weapon=(-)
next weapon=(+)
Lightning gun=Mouse wheel down
shock rifle=E
flak=Mouse wheel up
Sheld gun=Thumb

Ok enough with weapons. Lets talk response time. The new G5 has reached the whopping 2000 DPI mark. It made quite a difference. I have an altered .ini file with a sensitivity of .01. The in-game setting was set at 8.00. Now with this new mouse using the 2000 DPI setting, my in-game sensitivity is 1.75. My .ini remains at .01 :shock: I dont know if I'm feeling such a large difference because im going from wireless to this or its because of the new laser technology (not optical). The movements in the games by the mouse are a lot different. I had to adjust the smoothing strength and threshold. Overall the response time is superb. It will take me a few weeks to get used to it. I am now able to hit players with consecutive hits using the shock rifle and LG. With the old mouse, I was happy to get one hit :roll:

Lets talk about the physical aspects. I think the mouse itself is very uncomfortable. It is too small for my hand. The mouse does have the curves to fit the thumb, but it has one on the other side too. It is supposed to fit the ring ringer, but it is too deep. It forms a large lip near the right mouse button. Ironically my finger rests on that lip. After long use, it puts painful pressure on my finger. The weights are interesting too. The mouse by itself is ultra light. I'm so used to using a heavy mouse (thanks to batteries). After major testing with the weights, I find they make a huge difference. IMO, it is easier to make fast but precise movements with heavier weights in the front. Since most mouse movements are side to side, forward and diagonally forward, heavier weights in the front should allow you to stop your 'sudden' movements more precisely. This is how I arranged my weights.

Well its a long review. Most of it is useless, but its fun to talk about it. I really dont care if it makes any sense to you.
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:11 pm

Clown I map most of my keys to my pinky. That way I never have to sacrifice an alt or primary fire from the mouse as you do and I never have to sacrifice movement because the pinky is always free. I do use the alt for lg but that sacrifices a jump only.

ctrl - rockets
shift - shock
caps lock - flack
tab - mini
alt - lg
right thumb - shield
q- link
z - assault

Whenever you remap weapons your always going to feel like your relearning. When I went to mostly pinky I was pretty bad for a few months. It's just like learning the piano or guitar, you have to repeat the motion until it's unconscious. You will be thinking about which weapon to select until that point so you have given up to soon imo. Having every weapon on 1 key is just the edge you need in many encounters.

Now if you really want to get crazy, the best way to do it is to move your wasd movement to your middle/ring/pinky and have your forefinger dangling and able to hit about 8 diff keys while not affecting movement. Some that use the pinky method move the wasd keys over 1 or 2 to the right and use esdf or rdfg so you can have many more selection keys for your pinky.

You must endure the pain to get better! :wink:

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:49 pm

I went with a mnemonic approach...

F lack
R ockets
E lectric
4 $hock
3 Bio

Maybe I'll have to re-think that... the problem I see with your setup, Non is that all those keys surround the #start key on my keyboard

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:27 pm

law.of.averages wrote:Maybe I'll have to re-think that... the problem I see with your setup, Non is that all those keys surround the #start key on my keyboard

Start key?

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:47 pm

#Start as in Windows Logo/ Start ... yes... hitting it while in UT minimizes the game and brings up the start menu

very user friendly :P

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:57 pm

law.of.averages wrote:#Start as in Windows Logo/ Start ... yes... hitting it while in UT minimizes the game and brings up the start menu

very user friendly :P

Ahhh the windows key. Well, put your hand on the keyboard where wsd is and tell me which finger you think can contort far enough to hit the windows key? I guess if your really twisted your thumb over maybe or if your pinky is double jointed? :wink:

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:11 pm

Wow Clown - I thought that was a really good review! Getting fraggin down to a science is kewl to hash around. Hey Happy Halloween y'all! See ya Wed...won't be here Mon. have to go trick someone into giving me a treat hehe.

1/2LuNaTiC

Postby 1/2LuNaTiC » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:43 pm

My wrist has hit the Windows key a few times...only happens when I'm typing too quickly. I need a new mouse among other things. I guess I can spend some money on the pc instead of my car...

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:44 am

i seem to hit it at least once a session.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:55 am

law.of.averages wrote:i seem to hit it at least once a session.

So..... nothing new should happen then if you remap then... :lol:

Return to “game hardware”